PDA

View Full Version : Florida Fires

MOP
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Just heard there is a very bad fire down by the "Southern Boys" hope everyone is Ok!!

Phil

gcarter
05-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Phil;
It really isn't that cllose to us, but it is smokey, hazy, and stinks. There's another fire in Georgia also contributing to the problem.

Forrest
05-04-2007, 04:21 PM
The one near Waycross Georgia has been smoking us out of Tallahassee. Last Saturday morning I woke up and thought my nextdoor neighbor was buring something in his backyard. As it turns out, it was from a wildfire over 120 miles away. Smoke and haze everywhere.

Cuda
05-04-2007, 06:33 PM
We had three burning near us yesterday, one in Lake County, over about halfway to where George lives, one between us and Daytona in the Rima Ridge area, and the biggest one is a little north of us, on the Volusia/Flagler county line, near Ormond Beach. I haven't been watching the news much, but I heard they had the Lake County fire 70% under control, and it's not threatining any homes. The one up by Flagler grew from about 1800 acres to around 3500 acres today. I haven't heard about the Rima Ridge fire, but we've got the local news channel on now, so I should here soon.

Forrest, over two weeks ago, Debbie and I had to drive to Brunswick Georgia to a job site. We started hitting smoke just north of Daytona, and it was rather smokey until just south of Brunswick. I had no idea where the fire was, but we drove through over 100 miles of smoke. I learned later that evening, it was from the fire near Waycross. It must be a helluva fire.

It was real smokey around here today, but it's cleared quite a bit. Debbie went to town earlier, she said she couldn't see more than a couple hundred yards on Hwy 44. I know yesterday they had portions of 44 closed because of smoke, not fire threat. I think they did a while today too.

They just came on the news and said the fires in Florida were mostly under control. They didn't even mention the Rima Ridge fire, so I guess they got that one out.

I can feel my mom waiting for me to call her to tell her we're ok. She and I have the esp thing going on. By the time I remembered to call her, it was after six, so I know she and dad are at some lodge meeting at the Grotto. I'll call her after nine. Guarantee she's been waiting. :)

Cuda
05-05-2007, 04:01 PM
George, are you getting any rain there today? It's threatening enough here that I just took the charger off the Formula, and put the cover back on it. We got a few drops, and I mean very few, hoping for more.

gcarter
05-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Nope, none.
It's been really hard to keep the lawn from dying. Well, you have to live here to understand how important that is......
I would like 2 or 3" just about any time!!!!!:eek!: :eek!:

vonkamp
05-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Man, it's getting bad. Fires to the North, south and West of us. Here are some pics of what my back yard looks like this morning. Smoke, not fog. I hope this storm system off the coast brings lots of rain. As of now it has only brought lots of wind to fan the flames :mad: . Several people I work with have been evacuated from their Baker county homes.

Cuda
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Smokey again here today. I just took this picture coming down Hwy 44 in Deland. The smoke doesn't really show that much in the picture, but it's a lot smokier than yesterday.

In an unrelated matter, the river seems to have come up about four inches last night. They must have gotten some decent rain south of us, Brevard County probably.

Last Tango
05-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Smoke is real bad today in Jax. It has been very smokey now for weeks, but today looks like the worst, yet, here. Visibility is less than 1/2 mile. AND we are getting teaser drizzle from Andrea (now a named storm off the coast). The extraordinary high winds for over two weeks have completely trashed the Atlantic beaches and eaten away at the shoreline to the point now that even here, coastal homes foundations are fully exposed to the pounding surf. The the smoke is coming in pretty thick. from Georgia and now Florida counties have fires as well. The water in the St. Johns is up here as well, but mostly because Andrea has given the effect of a two week long Nor-easter.

Glad I have my new boat cover on the boat and it is parked in my yard.

smokediver
05-09-2007, 09:10 PM
this time of year is no fun ... well , we are givng it hell :smash: ... kind of hard to imagine next year ... with the tax reform we are losing between 17 - 35 men in a hundred man dept . can't imagine how we are going to manage next year ! :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

gcarter
05-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Headed towards Ohio today.
They stopped us just North of I-10 for over two hours because of the smoke. At times you couldn't see 100'.

Cuda
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Headed towards Ohio today.
They stopped us just North of I-10 for over two hours because of the smoke. At times you couldn't see 100'.
I talked to Debbie's dad tonight, he said there was a big fire burning around McCleany, where 301 hits I-10. They were afraid it was going to jump the interstate, but he thinks they got it stopped there. He is in the forestry business, and I'm surprized he hasn't been called in yet. I think he doesn't have to go as often since his company changed owners. He has fought a lot of them.

MOP
05-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Praying for some rain for you guys!

Phil

Cuda
05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Lots of t storms in the state today, many around us. We are getting much needed good rain right now.

gcarter
05-13-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm sitting here in a hotel room here in Cleveland looking at the weather in Lady Lake. It looks good!!!!:eek!: :eek!: :propeller:

sweet 16 1966
05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Gerorge,
Are you shopping?

Lenny
05-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Poodle, what is your's and Heidi's FAVORITE restaurant close by home ????

Just curoius... :D

BUIZILLA
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Poodle, what is your's and Heidi's FAVORITE restaurant close by home ???? :D

all of them.... :wink:

anonymous :pimp:

Lenny
05-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Booked tickets for KW yet?? :D :D :D

Nope, cuz you haven't told me when it is,... yet :D

Johntrip
05-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Smokey at the sand bar yesterday.....

Cuda
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
It was raining pretty hard when I woke up this morning, but it stops and starts. We are supposed to get a fairly good soaking on and off today. Lord knows we need it.