PDA

View Full Version : serial numbers

zelatore
05-04-2007, 08:59 AM
OK, here's a nice soft lob over the plate for you Merc guys to hit out of the park.

I noticed my 502 Mag has a nice little sticker for serial numbers of engine, drive, and (I think) transom assembly. Unfortunatly, none of the numbers are present, just clear, blank stickers. I'm guessing the numbers are elsewhere on the engine/drive? I confess, I haven't looked yet.

Just curious. If it was a Crusader or Volvo, I could find it. But Merc is part of the 'evil empire of Brunswick' while I work for a Genmar dealership where we'll use any power that's not Merc or Cummins.

Don

Morgan's Cloud
05-04-2007, 10:31 AM
So like if you have to order parts how do you confirm what you have right ? ?:bonk:
Agreed .... VERY smart of Merc.
When I got the 502 that ended up in the Magnum the numbers were all with the owner's manual package in a plastic envelope. It was up to me to stick them in the right places. If that had gotten lost what would I have done ?
What I do now is have a little plaque engraved with all of the numbers and stick it onto the inside of the transom for easy future reference by either myself or a mechanic doing engine work .

MOP
05-04-2007, 11:08 AM
The drive usualy has the numbers om the stickers on the side, if the are blank it is a mystery ship!

Rootsy
05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
steel riveted tag on the engines with the engine model and S/N tamped into it... right above the starter on the rear flange that the bell housing bolts to

Pismo
05-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I have the same little sticker but with numbers all over it.