PDA

View Full Version : Dana exhaust vs. EMI thunder vs. ???

KerrLake
05-04-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm upgrading my 454 exhaust. I like the price better of the EMI, but the performance and how long they will last is important also. Any info or other brands I should look at?
Brian

Kirbyvv
05-04-2007, 08:48 AM
I went with the EMI last summer. As far as I'm concerned they're great. I know alot of people really like the Stainless Marine exhaust.

undertaker
05-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Stainless Marine....or Dana Exhaust.....(will let you know how the Dana exhaust will perform this weekend:) :) )... good luck keep us posted..

Undertaker:cool:

Cuda
05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I went with Dana, just for the bling effect. Everyone and their brother has Stainless Marine, and probably for good reason. I had EMI's on the Minx, and I loved them. Any aftermarket exhaust is a step up, just get what you like, or what suits your budget. I almost went we Revolution exhaust, I just thought the Dana's looked better. I'm certain any brand will outlive me.:eek!:

MOP
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Dana should produce slightly better results then most as the carry the runners up into the riser where as most stop at or before the riser, the length of the runner is important for performance. The one draw back with the Danas is the exhaust outlets are farther apart requiring new holes or S bends. Check Cuda install post, he has some good pics!

Phil

Cuda
05-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Much higher was my biggest problem. I had some s pipes fabricated to the existing tips.

KerrLake
05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
It's going in the z-25, so I think I would have enough wiggle room due to the trans, wouldn't I?

LKSD
05-05-2007, 07:53 AM
The Dana's will be more like a Cmi header, if not better for flow & building torque thru the primaries & collector..

The Stainless marine has been around a long time, the 496 application is new, but still uses many of the good old BBC stuff to do it.. They breathe very well, but dont have as long of runners as a Dana Or CMI..

The EMI is also a good system but will be a little better over stock & would be similar to smaller version of a Gil Offshore exhaust.. If you are leaving the engine stock, or only going to do some light perf upgrades & keep the engine natrually aspirated the EMI will be fine.. Otherwise if you are going to supercharge it on a 496 I would NOT reccomend the EMI.. Go with one of the other systems.. ;)

If you need prices on any of this stuff Or installs, please feel free to call me.. ;) :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

BigGrizzly
05-05-2007, 09:41 AM
We have done Dyno tests and found EMI just slightly better than stock. biggest advantage is weight. As for Stainless Marine on the dyno stock or performance they do amazingly well for what theory says they should be. Another surprise on the dyno is the old Harding hedders too. We have not dynoed the Dana yet so I can't say for sure, but the length and configuration is similar to the CMI E-tops. CMI E-tops flow almost as good as the tube type I have on my boat. In fact they are so close that I picked the tube for looks. As for application and bling effect I would do Stainless or Dana. The EMI and all of that style are basically knock offs of each other. Remember these boats are toys for grown up boys. If you can't afford to do it today wait and do what you want later. One over looked point is fuel economy. In out tests the biggest surprise was fuel consumption. It was always better than stock at a cruise mode, even if HP wasn't significant. Remember that on most of our applications 5 horse power will not give you even one mile per hour.

KerrLake
05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm doing alot of engine upgrades including a cam, so water reversion is becoming a possibility. Also I think the stock 3" exhaust will be holding all my improvements from their potential. I like the eay the Dana looks best and am leaning that way. I'm worried about how loud the new exhaust will be. The wife and kid are with me alot on the boat. I'm thinking of ordering tips with removable baffles. Will they hurt my performance?

mrfixxall
05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
just some picks of a 468 in the making with emi's... emi's has a 4'' exhaust tip,danas i think are only 3 1/2..

Cuda
05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm doing alot of engine upgrades including a cam, so water reversion is becoming a possibility. Also I think the stock 3" exhaust will be holding all my improvements from their potential. I like the eay the Dana looks best and am leaning that way. I'm worried about how loud the new exhaust will be. The wife and kid are with me alot on the boat. I'm thinking of ordering tips with removable baffles. Will they hurt my performance?
I don't think the Dana's are as loud in the BBC as the EMI's were in my SBC, but it may be due to the fact I had to have an "s" pipe fabricated to take the exhaust down to the old tips. If I had it to do over again, I'd get either the black, or powercoated Dana's. The polished ones are going to be a real pain to keep looking good. I can already tell that. :(

The Hedgehog
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't think the Dana's are as loud in the BBC as the EMI's were in my SBC, but it may be due to the fact I had to have an "s" pipe fabricated to take the exhaust down to the old tips. If I had it to do over again, I'd get either the black, or powercoated Dana's. The polished ones are going to be a real pain to keep looking good. I can already tell that. :(

Ouch on the finish. Oh, well I guess that I will get to join you with the alum polish. My Dana's are going on this week. Nice looking product though.

zimm17
05-07-2007, 05:19 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46920&highlight=dana+exhaust

LKSD
05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Kerr,

I have sold & installed just about every brand of exhaust out there from basic oem replacments to high dollar custom systems.

The Dana exhaust is a 4" exhaust & has very good flow charachteristics.. We just installed a set.. Read here : 22' Classic with Dana exhaust (click here) (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=410616#post410616).. It made a noticable difference on the boat. I would go with the Dana's or the Stainless marine if it were me..

As far as baffles, I would recomend the Dana or EMI with the removable baffles. They can be loud & free flowing when you need it, but they can also hush things up a little bit if you need that too.. This way they will not hurt performance.. ;) I run the EMI removable baffle tips & am installing the Dana exhaust in my boat, & Ed (undertaker) is running the Dana removable baffle tips & the Dana exhaust.. If you would like prices or would like to know more feel free to call me @ our shop.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

KerrLake
05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
How does the polished finish on the Dana's hold up?
Brian

Forrest
05-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Another surprise on the dyno is the old Harding hedders too.

I've always been a big fan of the old Hardin Offshore header system. Hardin Marine starting building them in the 1980s and only recently stopped selling them. In many ways, they we like the KE cast header since the had long, nearly equal-length primarys and the tail pipes were water jacketed dry until the end of the exhaust tip. With the Hardin system, you didn't need to buy a pair of exhaust tips since the tail-pipe was the exhaust tip.

BigGrizzly
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I've always been a big fan of the old Hardin Offshore header system. Hardin Marine starting building them in the 1980s and only recently stopped selling them. In many ways, they we like the KE cast header since the had long, nearly equal-length primarys and the tail pipes were water jacketed dry until the end of the exhaust tip. With the Hardin system, you didn't need to buy a pair of exhaust tips since the tail-pipe was the exhaust tip.
Forrest, still have mine, should sell them but I keep putting it off. they do work great, and dry all the way to the end