PDA

View Full Version : Q jet to Holley linkage changes

Cuda
05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
What all do I need? I bought the bracket, now I see I also need the bracket to the bracket in picture two. The end of my existing throttle cable is picture three. Is there something else I need?

gcarter
05-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Before I sold the Minx, I did the opposite swap, Holley to Q-jet.....
I needed nothing extra, I just bolted the linkage together.

maddad
05-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Morse makes a barrel nut with a ball end that fits on the carb, and a spring loaded quick release that threads on the end of the cable.
No pics of it right now but I'll try to fix that before the nights over.

Cuda
05-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Morse makes a barrel nut with a ball end that fits on the carb, and a spring loaded quick release that threads on the end of the cable.
No pics of it right now but I'll try to fix that before the nights over.
Something like this? This is what I took off the q jet. As you can see by the second picture, the holes aren't far enough apart to work with the Holley.

gcarter
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Joe, when I put the Minx together, I replaced that bracket with a later one. It is sheetmetal, not cast, and has two sets of rear carb holes. It solves this problem.

Cuda
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Joe, when I put the Minx together, I replaced that bracket with a later one. It is sheetmetal, not cast, and has two sets of rear carb holes. It solves this problem.
G, where did you get it?

mrfixxall
05-03-2007, 11:44 PM
cuda,heres what i do,,theirs two ways of doing it..you can cut the factory bracket by the hole and bolt it to the carb stud..then drill a 1/8 or a 3/16 hole through the throttle bracket into the carb base plate..then get a roll pin and tap it into the hole you just drilled to keep the bracket from moving when you hit the throttle....or use the holly bracket you bought and get a 1''x1'' alunimum block set it on the bracket you bought mark the holes and drill and tap the holes and bolt it to the bracket..then find out where the mounting stud should go with the cable attached and mark the hole where the plastic do hicky goes that holds the throttle cable in place,drill that hole in the side of the alunimum block and tap it i believe its 5/16 fine.....remove the stud in the stock Q-jet bracket and screw it into the block you just made and walla done.....or replace the throttle cable with a morris style cable..
good luck.

or you can purchase what you need here......scrool down about the bottom of the page

http://www.marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page77.html

mrfixxall
05-03-2007, 11:49 PM

i dont think that one your talking about will work on a holly,,the float bowl gets in the way.........

Cuda i think he refering to the carter style one.......Did the hp come with one?

gcarter
05-04-2007, 06:54 AM
G, where did you get it?
Joe, the cast bracket you have is superseded by the sheet metal bracket. Just go to the on line microfiche like Doug Russel, get the number, and if it hasn't been up dated, your local Merc dealer will do it for you.

gcarter
05-04-2007, 07:02 AM
i dont think that one your talking about will work on a holly,,the float bowl gets in the way.........
If you go back up to #2, you'll see I started w/ a Holley......:yes:
You can't drop the new bracket onto the studs after the Holley is sitting there, because the rear bowl gets in the way, just like you said.
However, if you hold the the bracket in place on the Holley carb while lowering the carb down onto the studs all at the same time, then it fits just fine.
This new bracket is very well designed. Not only does it fit a variety of carbs, it also has a selection of throttle cable housing mounting positions.:yes:

LKSD
05-04-2007, 07:18 AM
What all do I need? I bought the bracket, now I see I also need the bracket to the bracket in picture two. The end of my existing throttle cable is picture three. Is there something else I need?

Joe, I believe you should be able to pull it off with what you have pictured.. We have.. The cable end that goes thru to the throttle arm you should be able to fasten with a 1/4" ss screw, washers & nylock nut.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside