PDA

View Full Version : First run, coming up

zelatore
05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Looks like I'll finaly be able to get the new boat in the water Saturday for some play time.

I've been reading a lot of comments on the board about the 'interesting' handling charicteristics of the 22's - anything I should know to optimize my seat time?

I figure I'll cruise it around a bit at 3-4K and play with the drive trim to see how it feels before going for some top end runs. I'm guessing these hulls like a fair bit of drive trim and pretty much no tab other than maybe straigtening out a little list due to loading. Sound about right? (wishing I had trim indicators about now)

FWIW, the boat is an '01 22C, 502 Mag, Bravo 1, 25p mirage

While I've got thousands of hours on the water, very little of it is in hi-po boats. I've problaby got a total of 10 hours or less over 50 mph in the last 20 years.

Don

Carl C
05-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you've got it right. The only thing that got me in trouble on my maiden voyage is that the boat can roll harshly onto it's side when exiting a turn. When you are in a slow deep banking turn with the drive tucked in a bit, raise the drive before straightening out the boat. You'll figure it out. :)

ChromeGorilla
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Zelatore... IMO... the 22 does need some tab most of the time. Unlike the 18 which doesn't. I sent you a PM with my thoughts.

RickSE
05-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Make sure you know which tab switch operates which tab; some were wired differently, port-port or port to starboard. Take it easy and learn the boat. It'll be a healthy runner with the 502. Mine needs the port tab down up until the 50-60 MPH range, then I have to put it back down when I slow down or things will get nutty again.

What prop is on the boat?

zelatore
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
The boat is running a Mirage 25p. Several people have commented that it's a decent prop - I'll find out soon enough. Maybe I'll get lucky and make it to one of the events where I can play with some differnt props in the future, but unless this thing is just plain scarry I plan to stick with it.

I'm used to being gental on the tabs. One of the boats we sell is a 28' Albin. Not a hot rod by any means, but at 20 knots+, you only 'bump' the tabs or the thing will heal over like there's no tomorrow. I always get new owners who want to just push the button and wait to see what happens. Try that, and it's too late - by the time you let go the boat will be running at a 15 degree list!

Don

Cuda
05-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Let us know how it turns out. I can't give any hints on how to trim or tab the boat, since ours has a Trs drive (engine farther forward), and no tabs. Just be ready for the "Classic Roll" on turns so your azz doesn't eat a hole in the seat the first time. :) After that first time, it's fun as hell.:cool:

Pismo
05-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Thats a great boat, one of the last with the 502. Remember 4000rpms is 60mph which is pretty fast for learning.

RickSE
05-03-2007, 02:35 PM
The boat is running a Mirage 25p.

Mirage is good. I'm still running my factory Mirage+. The Mirage props make these boats run light, lots of bow lift. I like the Mirage in rough water because I can really air the boat out and get it up on top of the slop.

Have fun and maybe we can meet here out west sometime.

undertaker
05-03-2007, 03:05 PM
:) IMO every 22 classic performs differently (the newer boats need a little more tab than the older ones IMO) get some seat time and get the feel for YOUR boat than once you have a feel, then start looking at props, exhaust, full hydraulic steering, superchargers etc.:) :) :) :) :) ..Good luck let us know how you make out.....

Undertaker:cool:

PS Just for your info I am running a 25 pitch Turbo prop that I purchased from Poodle and I prefer the Turbo over the factory mirage prop, my boat handles better & requires LESS tab with the Turbo vs the Mirage.....:)