PDA

View Full Version : 98 22 ZX w/HP-500

Rod22ZX
05-03-2007, 08:00 AM
I have aquired an 1998 22 ZX with a HP-500 and bravo outdrive. The motor was freshened up over the winter. The previous owner was running a Hydromotive QIV 25 pitch RH prop that was labbed finished (very thin & has some dings on it). I would like to get a stock prop and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which props run the best on this boat?

It does not have trim tabs either, would that be a worthy investment also?

Thanks
Rodney:cool!:

oldandtired
05-03-2007, 09:11 AM
That HP500 will run that boat to the high 70's maybe almost 80. I have a 502 mag with headers in my '98 and get around 76. I have been running a 27 Mirage (against recommendations) and like it. It sounds like you should run a 28 Bravo. Stock should be fine. I have run a 25 Hydro Q4 and find that it gives a little too much stern lift which makes the nose hunt at speed. The Hydro isn't the greatest getting out of the hole either. I have also run a 26 Hydro Q4. Once again, not great out of the hole but gets a good stable top end. The Bravo gave the all around best handling. The Mirage handles well and gives the best top speed. The Hydros look cool, are pretty fast, but don't give the best handling. I hope you already have a full hydraulic steering system in that boat. It gets really squirrely at those speeds without it. My vote is for the stock, 28" Bravo. Skip the tabs, they are worthless on that boat except to help you up on plane by just a little bit.

Rene

ChromeGorilla
05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
The Hydro QIV and the Bravo are both stern lifting props. That is why the nose wants to "hunt" at speeds. The rear end is lifted thus dipping the bow down. Hydro also has a QIV-OT which is a bow lifting prop.

BigGrizzly
05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
That boat won't pull a 28 bravo. needs a 26 or 27. If the previous owner had the 25 and the motor was 500 at that time maybe that was the best he had. First run the boat and see where you are with rpms and GPS speed, We can go from that point.

oldandtired
05-03-2007, 01:22 PM
I have a labbed 26 Bravo that was all over the rev limiter. I figure that a stock 26 on mine should work almost perfect. The extra hp on the 500 vs my 502 mag would put a stock 26 all over the limiter. That's why I figure the 28 since Bravo props come in 2" increments. The amount of stern lift on the 25 Hydro was too much, the labbed Bravo seemed perfect. Alternatively, I get 4900-5000 rpm out of my 27 mirage and a hp500 should be able to take it almost to the limiter. My highest gps run with that prop was 75.6 with 80-82 showing on the speedo. I have since seen 83-84 on the speedo which would probably be a real 76-77. I am at sea level which will make a difference. Take that into account if you are operating much above sea level. I know that everyone recommends against 3 blade props on that boat, but I couldn't pass on the deal with the Mirage and have not experienced anything negative with it. BTW, I do agree with running the boat as-is first to get a performance baseline before spending any money on props. I have a hard time believing that you aren't going to be all over the limiter with the labbed 25 unless you are operating at high elevations.

Rene

Rod22ZX
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info. I am in Richmond, Va which is close to sea level. I tend to like how the hydros run and they are a little faster on top end than the bravos. Hopefully I can get a baseline run this weekend and will post some numbers.

Thanks

Any more input on the trim tabs?

Last Tango
05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I will be paying close attention to this thread since I am also looking for a slightly bigger prop for my 22ZX. I have the stock 350 MAG MPi (300hp) with Bravo One drive and 1.65 ratio. The prop that came on the boat new last year was a 22 Bravo. Way too small. So I moved up to a 24 Bravo. This is the prop the factory recommeded for this boat. It was far better out of the hole and stronger across the board and better top end. My boat now peaks out at about 62MPH GPS (66 indicated) at sea level. However, I can still find the rev limiter even with that. So I have been considering a 26 Bravo or perhaps a labbed 26 Bravo. The boat is an '06 22ZX with a single step.
No comparison to a 500 or 502, but I'm very interested the hear what the results are from these props. Especially the 26 Bravo and the labbed 26 Bravo that Oldandtired has used.
Tabs on my boat are almost worthless. I almost never use them for anything. Ocassionally I put them down when I have back seat riders and I am accellerating from idle. Puts the nose down a little faster, but the tabs need to come up as soon as the bow starts to settle. Not needed any other time.