PDA

View Full Version : Can I make my 1996 7.4 lt Merc a serpentine drive belt system?

sub-bass
05-02-2007, 04:57 AM
I have a '96 7.4lt Bravo 1 (rochester, p'steer) and was wondering wether it might be a possibility to make it into a serpentine system for the pulleys.. Is there a reason this would not work? I thought perhaps it would be a good time to change as I have slight corrosion on my current pulleys and belts are a little warn so I'm about to change them. Thought might be a more efficient way of running pulleys and keeping tension etc.
Many thanks to all in advance. I saw this system on a boat today and thought it may be an option

d1mbu1b
05-02-2007, 06:45 AM
I dont know about the big blocks, but my small block has the Merc. serpentine setup. I am a big fan of the serpentine belt, but...
My Merc. tensioner pully is a piece of garbage.

I you find a salvaged system make sure it does not have the same tesioner I have.

Just so hapens that the latest Jegs catalog has a slew of serpentine bet systems pretty pricey $500 and up. Problem is they do not expect to see cooling hoses running everywere. Also, who knows what there made of.