PDA

View Full Version : Magazine seeks classic Donzi restoration

Bill Prince
05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello,
Many thanks to Scot VanAlstine for allowing me into your forum. I am the publisher of Classic Yacht magazine, available free online at www.classicyachtmag.com. I publish Classic Yacht as a labor of love "for those who love great boats". I'm a 33 year-old marine engineer by day. I have been involved in the design of some Donzi hulls from the late 1990s during the years I worked for racing boat designer Michael Peters in Sarasota, Florida.
I launched Classic Yacht magazine as a way to highlight great older boats that don't get a lot of press in the paper magazines anymore, geared as they are toward snagging ad revenue from new boat builders who want their present-day product highlighted. A good example of this is the story in the Spring issue about the 23rd fiberglass boat Chris Craft ever built, a 38' Commander that has enjoyed a complete restoration in Australia.
We're an online magazine, not a forum, so we present stories like a traditional print magazine. Subscriptions are completely free. I invite you to subscribe. I hope you'll find Classic Yacht enjoyable and informative.
I am looking forward to finding somone who has undertaken an imprssive restoration of an older Donzi. I've not assumed I can jump into your forum without first introducing myself, but I hope I'll be welcome to participate.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Bill Prince
Publisher
Classic Yacht magazine
publisher@classicyachtmag.com
www.classicyachtmag.com

Dr. Dan
05-01-2007, 08:45 PM
:bonk: Not to take away from any of the suggestions that Poodle listed, but Jamie Roots, aka. Rootsy is currently in the middle of the "Red Mistress" resto on a Classic 18, its very involved, and myticulously detailed. Do a search under Performance Talk...it should pop up.

Welcome to the Registry.

Doc of the Bay :wink:

Morgan's Cloud
05-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Probably more restorations here than any other brand anywhere else.
Well , at least for boats under 25' ....
I'm just about finished on my 5 year and 3 month complete re-build/resto on mine. It's a long way to come look at it though :wink:

Tank
05-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Welcome aboard Bill
Good to see the interest in the older boats!
Morgan”s Cloud
With digital photos and the net theirs no reason for him to travel!!
Just my 2c:)
I for one would love to see it!!!:wink:
Tank!

Rootsy
05-02-2007, 08:35 AM
I've been slowly working on organization, editing and documentation of my "little" project. Unforunately what once was the "Saga of the Red Mistress" thread on Donzi.net is now a skeleton of what it once was. My project is not quite complete but it is coming along and is probably at 90% minus paint. I need to do a few running surface modifications, paint and bodywork and do final rigging as well as a few rechroming details. But if you are otherwise interested drop me a line @ jaroot@donzi.org

smokediver
05-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I think clayman had an article on him and his boat in hot boat magazine ...

BigGrizzly
05-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Welcome to this forum. We are an information site for tru lovers of Donzis and others. We do get carried away with having fun with each other too. If at all possible you should attend one or some of our get together s. It is OK to come boatless too. Get to meet us you won't be disappointed.

Formula Jr
05-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Uhmm...you would have a better historical literary hook if you restored a Formula Jr. Mine is available. :)

owens@epud.net

yeah..., well, go to one of the events this year. AOTH would be a good one but that is happening now. We will ply you with good food and beers and then get you on the water and create good copy...

Forrest
05-03-2007, 01:52 PM
I think clayman had an article on him and his boat in hot boat magazine ...

Yes, Clayman sure did a meticulous restro job on his Classic. His is truly a "must see".

Where has Clayman been lately?

Bill Prince
05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Rootsy:

How did you get the deck off? Was it not through-bolted AND glassed to the hull? Did you grind it off? Just curious.

Formula Jr.:

I'm interested in both of your suggestions. When's the next Donzi meet in Florida?

Smokediver:

Which Donzi does Clayman have? Are there any photos online? Seeing those penguins in your avatar never, ever, ever gets tiring. I'm easily entertained!

Cheers!

Bill Prince

Scott Pearson
05-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Bill,
I'm doing a very rare 1968 Donzi Bench Seat Hornet right now. We even have Mercruiser involved in this one! Should be one hell of a great story. You can go to this link to see more.

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/album15

I have 3 more very rare Donzi's right behind this one. Gonna be busy for awhile!

Also have great detailed pictures of a 1968 18 Donzi that was finished 4 years ago. Total deck off restoration!

smokediver
05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
clayman has/had an 18 classic and he was in hot boat magazine with it ... nice short story and some good pics . not sure of the month and year

Cuda
05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Roosty, your's was the first that came to my mind when I read the title of this thread.

ChromeGorilla
05-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Bill I tell ya... you hit the motherload with the resto lunatics 'round here! Lots of really cool projects going on! :yes:

BUIZILLA
05-04-2007, 06:21 AM
thank goodness there isn't a Cary resto website... :wink: :yes:

Rootsy
05-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Deck was already seperated when i bought the boat as Bertramboy had already stripped her pretty much to a bare hull. That said, the deck was not thru-bolted, only screwed, and it was only sealed with caulk, no glassing. The tub and ski locker had tabs glassed to the stringers but that was about it.

Formula Jr
05-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Scott P, didn't you also buy "The Ultimate." I see that you are re-doing "The Sting." Both boats are as rare as they get. The Ultimate seemed the more interesting of the two. Didn't the Sting have a 289 in it? I'm just trying to point Mr. Prince in the right direction.
IMHO the Ultimate with its bench seat, vee drive and 427 is exactly what he is looking for.
He can't go wrong with an article on The Sting either.

I also don't want to discount some of the beautiful work people are doing or have done with their Classic 16s and 18's, GT 21s, etc. The Bench Seat Hornets are just a bit more unique, are of the original four Donzi designs, and have a well documented history of racing.