PDA

View Full Version : Help! Electrical woes

sctiberio
05-01-2007, 05:59 AM
I replaced the head gaskets on my 91 sweet sixteen this past winter & now I have some woes I believe are all electrical. Check this out:

- Oil pressure gauge reads high. 70 psi at idle after the engine is warmed up.
- Temperature gauge reads low. Around 110 to 115 degrees F
- The hour meter doesn't work at all
- The fuel gauge does not work at all
- The tach either works erattically or doesn't work at all. It will flick and jump about, shooting up for no reason when the motor is at idle, for example.
- The shift interupter also either works erattically or doesn't work at all.

I know I want to deal with the shift interupter first, as it is making it difficult to drive the boat. I believe the Tach and shift interupter problems may be related. The other problems could just be bad gauges, faulty sending units or bad wiring.

Has anybody else had a shift interupter problem like this? I know it's not the overstroke switch, as I've tested it and the wiring appears to be ok. My first inclination is to replace the ESA Module.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Sweet little 16
05-01-2007, 06:47 AM
sounds like a flakey ground

RickR
05-01-2007, 06:57 AM
+1 on the ground, try running an (temperorary) extra ground directly from the battery to the dash.
Also check the large connector on the engine harness. Non conductive (dielectric) grease can cause problems there.

sctiberio
05-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks. I'll Be Working On It This Weekend. I'll Check All The Grounds And Try The Ground From The Battery To The Dash.

MOP
05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds like the main harness ground is off or loose, follow it from the plug find the #12 black wire make sure it is secure.