PDA

View Full Version : How do you break in a roller cam?

yeller
04-30-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm going to fire up my new motor this weekend. Does a roller cam require the same break-in procedure as a standard cam?

DonCig
04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm going to fire up my new motor this weekend. Does a roller cam require the same break-in procedure as a standard cam?
As my Motor Guru in Texas has always preached to me:
Run her like you just stole her!

What more can I say, Texas has spoken.

Don

Rootsy
05-01-2007, 06:36 AM
no break-in required... just fire her on regular oil for the initial running...

yeller
05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks, guys.

d1mbu1b
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
no break-in required... just fire her on regular oil for the initial running...

I dont know, but I have been told to use regular oil, too.
Using synthetic will cause the rollers to slide instead of roll.

Anybody know if and when to switch back to synthetic?
I am in the same situation, just about broke in.

MOP
05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
When to switch who has the right answer, I have heard so many opinions. I rely on Big Griz & Minxguy they are real world oil guys not the avearage BS artist which seem to make the most noise!!!! Between my appointed gurus and after few years of reading the plagiarized BS in the oil post on OSO I am finally switching my stroker motor over to Spectro the slipperiest of the slippery better then the Harley oil. I look at the fact that Porsche, Corvette and many others come from the factory with Syn oil. I doubt if there a many if any flat tappet applications left in the auto industry, I have run syn in almost everything I own for many years. One of syn's greatest feats in my eyes is my garden tractor, 18hp Honda. It used to burn almost a full tank of gas on the recommended Honda oil doing my lawn, I switched to Mobil 1 now it burns just over 1/2 a tank that is about 3/4 gallons less pretty friggen amazing. All my road iron has gotten or gets better fuel economy.

Phil

Rootsy
05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm not concerned about synthetic on a roller cam with proper seat pressures for the springs, i'm concerned with proper ring seating.

Barry Eller
05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm not concerned about synthetic on a roller cam with proper seat pressures for the springs, I'm concerned with proper ring seating.

I have heard the same thing, rings seat better during break-in with non-synthetic oils.

MOP
05-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm not concerned about synthetic on a roller cam with proper seat pressures for the springs, i'm concerned with proper ring seating.

I agree 100% with dino break in, but the question is how do the manufactures do it on brandy new stuff? I needed the answer to that so I called my machinist buddy says if properly cross hatched they will seat just fine. Maybe one of the builders on the board can shed better light!

Phil

Carl C
05-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Mop, what weight synthetic would you run in a 496 HO that gets run kind of hard?

BigGrizzly
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Factory engines today are a different ball game than They were 20 years ago when these break in rules were applied. Years ago we finished hones with 220 grits then later it was 320 grit The hone jobs from the factor at Honda resemble 600 grit. They say that oil is so good today old technology won't work. I saw a microscope of a cylinder honed with 220 grit after 6 hours of running on modern good oil. The hone scratches were bent over not worn in. The engine did use oil not excessive but high compared to the second one with finer honing. It was a pretty cool discussion. They also said the biggest factor on engine durability today was the lack of lead in fuels. The synthetics are used for EPA purposes as is the 5w30 recommended, to raise the theoretical fuel economy. GM never does anything that costs them money, unless they have something to gain some place else. It is all a rob peter to pay paul deal. Does skidding rollers happen a lot -NO. Does it happen-YES. Do I think it is use related again yes. If you use Synthetics will that guarantee a skidding roller- no. Do I use synthetics- only in my lower unit and in my air cooled race bike. MOP that tractor engine on that Honda likes synthetics because of all the rotating gismoes inside it. Take this info and do what you want. This to my knowledge is correct and I did it for a long time. Just stay with name brands.

Rootsy
05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Cylinder processing and finish is a huge subject within and of itself... It will dictate depending upon piston clearnaces, fuels, oils, ring materials, styles, pressures and engine operating conditions and intended usage... want to know more from some very knowledgable engine builders? www.speedtalk.com and visit the forums...

BigGrizzly
05-02-2007, 09:28 AM
There you go Rootsy has spoken. That is a pretty good site.