PDA

View Full Version : A/N fittings

Cuda
04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Is there some trick of the trade I don't know about getting the fitting on the hose? Debbie and I spent two hours just getting one on. I got so frustrated trying to get the second one on, I slung the hose, fitting, and wrenches. The bad part is, now I can't find the fitting. :mad:

I usually have them put it together at the speed shop where I buy them, but I wasn't 100 percent sure I had the right length hose. I've seen them put them together, I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention, but I damn sure don't remember them having this much trouble. I guess I reached my frustration threshold. A lot of times, I'll got out in the garage to fiddle with the boat for relaxation therapy. Didn't work out that way tonight.:rolleyes:

Here's the one we got together. I would think the other end would be easier, since it just a straight fitting.

DonCig
04-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Is there some trick of the trade I don't know about getting the fitting on the hose? Debbie and I spent two hours just getting one on. I got so frustrated trying to get the second one on, I slung the hose, fitting, and wrenches. The bad part is, now I can't find the fitting. :mad:
I usually have them put it together at the speed shop where I buy them, but I wasn't 100 percent sure I had the right length hose. I've seen them put them together, I didn't really pay a whole lot of attention, but I damn sure don't remember them having this much trouble. I guess I reached my frustration threshold. A lot of times, I'll got out in the garage to fiddle with the boat for relaxation therapy. Didn't work out that way tonight.:rolleyes:
Here's the one we got together. I would think the other end would be easier, since it just a straight fitting.
Welcome to my world; Joe, I hate stainless braided hose. I have bled, bled, and cursed for days using this stuff. When you mature you will make the switch to Aeroquip Push Lock Blue hose using only a heat gun to make your hose connections smile.
The only tricks that I can tell you in using braided hose are as follows:
1. Always have the speedshop make up your hoses. Sorry I could not resist. LOL
2. Tape the hose tightly with electicians tape and cut with a very sharp cold saw or hack saw blade.
3. Use WD 40 to get things lubed for insertion into the fitting.
4. Use a good tabletop bench vise.
5. Spend the money to buy the expensive aluminum jaws and wrenches that make these things easier.
6. Go back to number 1 or use the Blue Push Lock.

And the most important tip of all, always extensively clean out all hoses to remove grease, WD 40, teflon tape, electricians tape. Not cleaning out your new hoses can destroy your engine in a heartbeat. Do not ask how I have learned this lesson in life.

DonCig

Rootsy
05-01-2007, 06:38 AM
electrical tape and a benchtop grinder are your friend.. as well as a bit o vaseline...

gcarter
05-01-2007, 06:58 AM
I always mock up the hose and fittings with inexpensive air hose.....I'll stick the fitting into one end of the air hose, route air hose to the other end destination, and properly orient the other fitting.
Then I take the mocked up air hose assembly to the supplier and let them assemble the braided hose to the correct length and the fittings oriented to the correct angles.
i.e., I don't even buy the hose, only the fittings, until I'm ready for the supplier to assemble it.:yes:

RickR
05-01-2007, 07:02 AM
pics
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47986&highlight=braided

Cuda
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Okay, I found the fitting under the cover of the motorcycle, and I'm back to my normal motto, "If I can't fix it, the mfer ain't broke!"

The trick was to put the hose in the vise with padding around it, then I screwed the red fitting partway on the hose. Then I started the blue fitting a couple threads, then I ran the red fitting farther down on the hose, then I used a 7/8ths deep socket, with a smaller socket stuck inside of it, so I could get pressure against the blue fitting, then screwed it all together. The damn fittings are pretty scratched up, probably from me slinging it last night. I may just paint them black. I kind of like the black fittings, it looks less like a circus act.

mrfixxall
05-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Cuda,my solution...Buy a fitting that works for you..if you notice the fitting on the left theirs a tapper to the end.this fitting is by far the easiest fitting ive ever worked with,their made by renegade..the fitting on the right is a earl,aeroquip fitting which is the biggest pain in the a*# to work with...always lok at the fitting before you but them to make sure they have a beveled edge at the end to make the steel braided line easy to slide in to..

Cuda
05-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks, but I've got it on there good now. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

I'm painting them Phantom Black, but the damn paint doesn't want to stick worth a damn, so I wiped the paint off, and tried priming them. It still doesn't look that good, but I'll get it right. :)

Rootsy
05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
any fray or braid relaxation at all, at the ends of the hose, and you'll play hell getting the sleeve on and end up with nothing but swear words and holes in your hands... after you do a few hundred it gets easier :wink:

mrfixxall
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks, but I've got it on there good now. I'll keep that in mind for the future.
I'm painting them Phantom Black, but the damn paint doesn't want to stick worth a damn, so I wiped the paint off, and tried priming them. It still doesn't look that good, but I'll get it right. :)

Scuff them up with a scotch brite pad, then laquor thinner then try dusting the paint on let let it cure and dust another coat..