PDA

View Full Version : installing trims

Yellowdonzi67
04-30-2007, 10:01 PM
On a 67' 16 classic. Ford 302, volvo aq200 outdrive.

Whats the viabillity, cost, and pros/cons of installing trim tabs on this boat?

Thanks

Sweet little 16
05-01-2007, 05:55 AM
not sure on the cost depends on what you go with and weather you do the work yourself or not
but the addition of tabs on a volvo driven non trimable drive adds the following

makes it easier to stay on plane at slower speeds tubing or a slow cruise

makes rougher water rides easier to take

makes leveling the boat for different loads a cinch

takes away any porpoise (sp??)

gives you some control over ride and handling

does scrap some speed

our 16 has boat levelors 9 x 12

MOP
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Of all the Classics the 16 benefits the most from tabs, do a search there is a ton of info including how to mount them the right way.

Yellowdonzi67
05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
ok, thanks.

gold-n-rod
05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
takes away any porpoise

I don't think I would go that far. In my experience, tabs help reduce porpoising, but do not "take it away" in every situation and at every speed.

As MOP says, they do seem to benefit the 16's the most and I'm glad I have mine. Just know they are not a magic bullet.

Yellowdonzi67
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
What sort of ballpark cost can I look at to have them installed?

MOP
05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
The tabs alone will set you back $3-400, do it your self! Even a Caveman can do it, if you are handy about 5-6 hours, If you are handy capped a good day following the instructions and the info posted on this board. And do not be afraid of asking as many questions as you need to, many guys have done it on their own. Many like myself have installed a few hundred sets and yes admittedly have learned good tips up here.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
05-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Mop; Now you are really asking for it......
Bad enough you diss our caveman members( shame on you after what they have gone through with the insurance companies)
Now you go after George, Grizz and me?????????:yes: :frown: Old and tired Ed

Yellowdonzi67
05-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks.
Technically speaking I'm not the handiest, but I'm learning. I'm a college kid and I'll have the whole summer to work on her (yeah, this boat is twice as old as me). I've done things such as remove the water pump, replace water system hosing, impellers, installed some electrical, and of course plugs wires and other standard maintainance. Would i be up to it?
Here's my first batch of questions. Keep in mind its a 67 16'
1) What size trims should I get?
2) Hydrolic or electric?
3) I've heard bennett is good, should i go with them?
4) What measurements should I use placing the trims?
5) Are there any good how-to manuals specifically for my donzi?
6) What sort of equipment will I need/use?
7) How much speed will I lose if this is done properly? improperly?
8) What are the chances I mess this up and if I do how bad is it to fix?
If you guys can reccommend a good set of trims for my boat I'd be much appreciative. I'm contemplating it but I'm not sure how much benefit it would be and I certainly don't want to destroy the value of the boat. She's in the marina right now, had some glass work on the interior done because of some wood rotting under the seats. I'm hoping to have her back within the week.

MOP
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Ok I will start the "Fire Storm" any hydraulic setup is much better then electric tabs, how do I know this well every single supply house by me has dropped the ever popular %$#&#@ brand and now only stock Bennet and Boat Leveler.

I love Bennet for both reliability and most of all customer service! I had and I believe most others had 9X12 standard tabs on their 16's, the sport models look a bit cooler and I am sure will do the job well. Besides all the normal benefits of hull control underway they tame the imfamous tail wag that single engine deep V's have, going down a narrow channel you can wear the steering out correcting the wag. With the tabs at idle speeds just put them all the way down and the wag goes away you 16++ will run straight!

Speed loss is nil if setup right! Like I posted earlier do a search the tab issue has been hashed and re hashed, any question you could possibly have is answered in the following very small sample of prior posts!
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44947&page=2&highlight=trim+tabs
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45467&highlight=trim+tabs
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44660
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44719&highlight=trim+tabs

Phil

Yellowdonzi67
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

It looks to be a project that I can handle (and more importantly afford).

MOP
05-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
It looks to be a project that I can handle (and more importantly afford).

Enjoy and take some pics & post them!!!

Tony
05-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Bennett 9 x 12 Sport Tabs on my (now Jay Lurie's!) '67 Ski Sporter with the 302/AQ200 package. No speed loss at full up...I've been on my stomach at WOT to witness how far away from the waterline they were!

They are helpful in all the ways mentioned above...especially to level a load, arrest porpoising, and to bring the "bow down" for choppy water.

While you're at it try to spring for an indicator system of some sort, I didn't have one but always felt it would be handy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

:beer:

Sweet little 16
05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't think I would go that far. In my experience, tabs help reduce porpoising, but do not "take it away" in every situation and at every speed.
As MOP says, they do seem to benefit the 16's the most and I'm glad I have mine. Just know they are not a magic bullet.

not sure on a merc powered boat but on a volvo boat they do so maybe you need to experience a true classic they way it was meant to be no trim no power steering old man and the sea stuff

Formula Jr
05-02-2007, 04:11 AM
Tab's are good. They' re the best investment you will ever make in your boat. Run the and know how they work. The dif is big time control and taken stuff you couldn't before... thats what I say.

Get them trim tabs on..............

slamdry
05-05-2007, 10:17 AM
anyone ever use the mechanical trim tabs??