PDA

View Full Version : ladder?

Schaf
04-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I need to get a ladder for my 04 22 classic. I want one that can be take off the boat when it is not in use. I saw a fold up one way back when at lakeside's site but I do not see it anymore. I currently have the rope with a couple plactic ladder steps. It works but its not easy for everyone. Does anyone have any ideas? Also what site should I go to and who should I talk to.. Thanks for your help....

ChromeGorilla
04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Schaf, I have an 05 and for the first year I thought about finding some type of ladder for boarding. But when it comes down to it, there's just nothing practical out there and i'm perfectly fine just climbing up the outdrive.

Pismo
04-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Schaf, I have an 05 and for the first year I thought about finding some type of ladder for boarding. But when it comes down to it, there's just nothing practical out there and i'm perfectly fine just climbing up the outdrive.

I agree 100%.

Tony
04-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I've got this one, (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/126875/0/0/ladder/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/30/0) a Garelick 3-step telescoping stainless unit. I mostly bought it for my wife...if I had to choose I would use the stirrup style like gold-n-rod Randy has on his 16', which is this one, (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/7485/0/0/ladder/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/15/0) I think.

Me...I climb up the outdrive.

:beer:

gold-n-rod
04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
...if I had to choose I would use the stirrup style like gold-n-rod Randy has on his 16', which is this one, (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/7485/0/0/ladder/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/15/0) I think.

Me...I climb up the outdrive.

That's the one, Tony. I put my right foot in the stirrup, place all my weight on my right foot, and swing my left foot over the gunwhale while straightening my right leg. It works real slick and even my wife has learned how.

The ladder attaches via a rope inside the gunwhale to a small flange attached with 4 sturdy thru-bolted screws and can hold the largest....... err, never mind!! :bonk: And it easily tucks away when not in use.

Try it. For $20, you lose little if you don't like it. I give it 5 stars!!!

RedDog
04-30-2007, 09:12 PM
That's the one, Tony. I put my right foot in the stirrup, place all my weight on my right foot, and swing my left foot over the gunwhale while straightening my right leg. It works real slick and even my wife has learned how.
The ladder attaches via a rope inside the gunwhale to a small flange attached with 4 sturdy thru-bolted screws and can hold the largest....... err, never mind!! :bonk: And it easily tucks away when not in use.
Try it. For $20, you lose little if you don't like it. I give it 5 stars!!!

I'm a slow learner - doesn't work for me.

gold-n-rod
04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm a slow learner - doesn't work for me.

Picture putting your foot in the stirrup of a saddle and throwing your leg up and over the horse as you mount.

yeller
04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Tony, does that ladder fit ok without any mods? Does it contact the side windshield at all? I know Carl uses a similiar ladder, although I don't think it's telescoping and he legthened the stand-offs to work for the 22. Can you tell me what the diameter of the hooks are?

DonCig
04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I agree 100%.

Buy some 3M Anti Slip tape from jamestown Distributors or from me and the outdrive becomes the best lboarding ladder ever made.
I purposely bought a 2004 XR drive to get the old design case that you can climb up on. If you haven't noticed Mercury has redesigned the outdrive cases so that you can not use them to climb into the boat! AArgh!!

DonCig

Tony
04-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Tony, does that ladder fit ok without any mods? Does it contact the side windshield at all? I know Carl uses a similiar ladder, although I don't think it's telescoping and he legthened the stand-offs to work for the 22. Can you tell me what the diameter of the hooks are?

yeller, I would say it works "o.k." without mods.
It fits between the windshield and the rear seat, I think the diameter of the hooks is about 8"...when I get the boat out of storage I can give you a better measurement. My legs are fine as is, you can mount them on either the second or third step to kind of change the angle of the drop. It does fold and stow nicely.

I'm just not totally sold on the way it hooks over the gunwhale, or the way the two legs poke the sides of the hull...I guess it kind of bugs me that it is not a perfect fit, or perfect efficiency.

But...it isn't used much, and it keeps the wife happy...so that makes it worth it, right?

yeller
05-01-2007, 10:36 AM
But...it isn't used much, and it keeps the wife happy...so that makes it worth it, right?Exactly why I'm looking for one.
I agree with you on the stand-offs/legs against the hull. I'd already been thinking of ways to help protect the hull.

Carl C
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Exactly why I'm looking for one.
I agree with you on the stand-offs/legs against the hull. I'd already been thinking of ways to help protect the hull. Throw a towel over the gunwale first. There's no perfect solution. If anyone finds one please let the board know, meanwhile everyone seems to do what works best for them. BTW, Yeller, I had the boat out yesterday!

Kirbyvv
05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
I use the same one that Tony has. Not perfect, but doesn't get much use, stows away great and keeps my wife happy.

Schaf
05-02-2007, 11:17 AM
DOs anyone know about the one that was offered at Lakeside. I like the one I think Tony had but it might messs up the windshield..