PDA

View Full Version : V-6 fun continues

The Hedgehog
04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
So I rejetted the carb with the Edelbrock calibration kit for the v-6. It seems much happier. It needed that bad. I saw raw fuel in the bottom of the manifold when I pulled the carb:eek!: As Griz said, I will still need to get a new flame arrestor. I tried a bigger one that I had laying around, it was happier but liked no flame arrestor better. I am on the search for the biggest one that will fit. So far the K&N 9 inch seems to be a winner.

So far it runs to 55 GPS pretty consistently. That is with a dinged up 21" prop. Not sure what it is but it says Viper on it. Pulling around 5,100 RPM or so. I also don't know what kind of gear ratio my lower unit has.

We have some more dialing in to do. I will get the prop cleaned up and see if that helps.

So far I have gone from 47.6 to 55. The boat pulls much stronger in the mid range. I know that I am leaving some on the table with the milder cam. We will more than make up the difference next winter when we do round 2.

The boat has a much better sound. It sounded like an airplane before. It now has a much meaner sound.

I will shoot some pics when I get it all cleaned up.

So far I am getting the results I expected. Still need to wring out a few more mph

MOP
04-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Man that is a substantial gain your hard work is more then paying off.

Phil

BigGrizzly
04-30-2007, 10:04 AM
We know the prop will be the final tweek. Get the air cleaner and jetting down, then we can go from there. How does the boat sit when running at full bore, that will help in prop selection.

The Hedgehog
04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
We know the prop will be the final tweek. Get the air cleaner and jetting down, then we can go from there. How does the boat sit when running at full bore, that will help in prop selection.

The boat rides pretty high. Bow up is no problem. Tons of bow lift. I can trim it past the point of stability. That confirms that the standard X on a 16 is deep. I could see where it likes the Alpha SS.

For grins I tried to put a Mirage Plus 23 on the boat. It did not fit. The current prop does handle pretty well with minimal porpusing.

If the current prop handled decent, I had planned to re-prop next year when we take it to the next level. However, If I am leaving 3 mph or so on the table with the current prop, I would probably do it now for grins this summer.

I will get the carb and remaining setup correct. I am all ears once that happens. It sounds like I may need to take the 16 to Lake Lanier.