PDA

View Full Version : New boat is here!

zelatore
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I've been searching since January, but I finally made a deal earlier this month on the '01 22 at Jackson Marine. Then came the painfully long wait for inspections and delivery, but it's finally here in my drive in California.

I was albe to spend today cleaning it up and taking care of a few little odds and ends (oil is draining as I write this - that's the last project for the weekend) and I've got next weekend cleared out so I can get it registered and out on the water for the first time. Can't wait!:hyper:

Here are a few pics - thanks to the list members who helped me out with this long-distance purchase. The boat isn't perfect, but it's more than decent and it won't take much to get it really dialed in. I'm thinking I'll ditch the current GPS/Chartplotter for a new color unit with buit-in sounder, and add trim indicators. Otherwise, that's about it.

Don

gero1
04-29-2007, 08:36 PM
just remember when turning at slow speeds IT will go go to the the rub rail...life is good

Carl C
04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
It looks real clean. There don't seem to be too many Donzis out west.:cool!:

22zxla
04-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Nice ride! looks clean and the trailer is sharp too! I like the look of two trailer fenders instead of one long one.

Vegas Classic
04-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Awesome! Congrats on finding one! Glad to see we've got another out West! I may be heading back east for 22' next year myself. :wink:

Tony
04-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Nice looking classic!
What's the white knob on the deck in front of the windshield?

:beer:

Cuda
04-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Sweet ride! I love the ss framed windshield, you can't buy that on a new one.

I'm guessing the white knob is for a gps speedo.

Cuda
04-29-2007, 10:21 PM
What power?

Eugene Nahemow
04-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Congrats on your boat!
Another one makes it out West.

zelatore
04-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys. :)

I'm a big fan of the SS windshield frame as well. That was pretty high on the search list. It's so low I'm sure it won't do much good, but it just looks 'right' on the boat to my eye.

The white knob is a Raystar 120 GPS. The boat has a Raymarine chartplotter in the stb corner of the dash - you can just see it in the interior shots. While I'm normally a big Raymarine fan - it's always my first pick for new yachts at work as well as my own Carver - this one is going to go as it's not color. I think I'm going to look into some of the Garmin stuff. I've never used them as I always thought they were a little cheesy for large boats, but I think they're probably the top dog in 5" range plus I can get one with a built in sounder so I don't have to cut the dash to put in another gauge.

A few more tweeks here and there, then I'll have to find a few of you guys out here in the west to hook up with. Anybody for the delta? Maybe SF Bay? (pretty rough though) Or maybe Tahoe?

Oh yeah, the boat is running a stock 502 mag/Bravo 1 with a Mirage 25p prop. From what I've seen on this site, I'm guessing that should give me low 70s with a little practice. Since I'm really grean about Merc's in general and Bravos in particular the next stop will be a service manual. I did change the oil and filter as well as the fuel filter today, and I picked up some merc drive oil, but heck, I didn't even see the drain on that bravo...like I said, stern drives aren't my strong point!

Now let's see....I could use a set of trim indicators, and some pop-up cleats would be nice, and of course I'll need a full cover, and a little bling in the form of new exhaust, and surely there's a better prop just waiting for me, and....well, maybe I'd better wait for the bank account to recover and just run it like it is for now...

Don

catch 22
04-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Sweet 22. Nice color combo to.:yes:

Dr. Dan
04-30-2007, 06:54 AM
:eek!: Don, Congrats.... I have to confess...I am a bit confused! Isn't this the same boat Ed and I looked at the one weekend for you? I thought that got purchased by someone else, from out East? I remember Ed calling you from NorthEast as we were leaving... I remember the GPS Screen and the White sender in the deck?

Either way glad you got one... Good Luck with it. I thought it had alot of potential.

Doc of the Bay :wink:

Cuda
04-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Dan, I believe it is. I think he said the dealer called him because the other deal fell through.

Carl C
04-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Don, I wouldn't worry about changing that prop. It's a good one. I know Yeller and Lenny are north of you a ways. Low 70s sounds right.

zimm17
04-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Sweet looking boat! Just like mine, but a lot newer and cleaner.

Definitely loose that GPS. I have a garmin 276, and I hate the fact it takes Garmin memory cards when all the new models take SD chips. The biggest chip garmin makes is 512mb and I just paid $130 for it!!! What a rip off. Too bad the new '07 marine garmins don't have a 276 sized model.

I wouldn't cut up your boat for pop up cleats until you take the boat out a few times. You have both lifting eyes, plus those tie downs on either side of the stern and the bow eye. Lots of places to tie lines too.

Eddie marine make a nice looking bennett trim tab bezel- I had one in white and it makes the dash look a lot nicer. Not bad for $26 and four new screws. You will have drill four holes though- easy to do.

Let us know how it runs.

I'll be moving out to San Diego next spring so there'll be another 22C out there too.

As for trim indicators, I just installed the pop-up model from stainless marine- check my other post from yesterday. You also have room in the dash for standard indicators.

Exhaust- Stainless marine or Dana Marine... unless you can afford CMI's.

Prop is good enough for now

For a full cover, I went with www.coverquest.com they make a custom cover for the donzi 22 classic (they list the wrong years, but it fits my '88 with the same windshield you have). I splurged for the red sunbrella which was $628 since my boat sits out in the open all year round. It's a year old and still looks new. Very well made, built in tie downs and it stays tight even trailering it down the highway.

MDonziM
04-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Great looking 22... love white/red. Glad you prevailed. You can put the gps antenna behind the windshield (wind/eye funnel depending on your height) and it works fine. Lots of opinions on props, i run the same mir+ (on a stock 502mpi) and wouldn't bet against it for top end.

Good luck and enjoy

MM

BigGrizzly
04-30-2007, 09:54 AM
That is my and my wifes favorite color combo for a classic. I have a Lowrance color with a 5 inch screen because it is easier to read I also use at the same tome a Lowrance Ifinder. They are great With the Ifinder I can do it all and load data etc. I use two or three at a time to compare against each other. I also like to know just where I am. I would go to a bass pro shops or marine store and get the one you think is pleasing to you. They all work the same and have the same abilities and use the same satellites. Accuracy is about the same in all the units, so any one will work well. I have done all the research there is to do. I just like the people at Lowrance better to talk to. They never bad mouth the other guy, I can't say that about some others, names withheld because its just not right.

yeller
04-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Nice boat Zelatore! :yes: Glad you found one for the start of the season.
You won't be disappointed if you meet us here:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47125

zelatore
04-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Dr Dan - it is the same boat you guys checked out for me. There was a deal, but it fell through when the guy's wife showed up the next day and started in on him about getting a family boat. Not a problem for me - just two of us and she's just as eager to get it out on the water as I am.

Jackson also set me up with the trailer. Nothing special, but it looks fine and does the job. I will be adding a set of guide posts to the back of it to help center the boat at the ramp though.

Zimm - I saw that link earlier for the canvas. I'll be contacting them today to order a cover, probably also red Sunbrella. I store the boat along side the house, so a full cover is a must to keep the leaves and sun off.

I did pick up a basic in-dash sounder, but I'm holding off installing it until I figure out which GPS I'm going to run. I looked at some of the new 5" Garmin units yesterday, but I want to do a little comparison shopping before thowing a grand or more at a new unit. Don't get me wrong, I love Raymarine stuff normally; I just dropped about $10K on all new Raymarine for my Carver, they just don't make much for smaller boats like these.

Don

Dr. Dan
04-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Dr Dan - it is the same boat you guys checked out for me. There was a deal, but it fell through when the guy's wife showed up the next day and started in on him about getting a family boat. Not a problem for me - just two of us and she's just as eager to get it out on the water as I am.
Jackson also set me up with the trailer. Nothing special, but it looks fine and does the job. I will be adding a set of guide posts to the back of it to help center the boat at the ramp though.
Zimm - I saw that link earlier for the canvas. I'll be contacting them today to order a cover, probably also red Sunbrella. I store the boat along side the house, so a full cover is a must to keep the leaves and sun off.
I did pick up a basic in-dash sounder, but I'm holding off installing it until I figure out which GPS I'm going to run. I looked at some of the new 5" Garmin units yesterday, but I want to do a little comparison shopping before thowing a grand or more at a new unit. Don't get me wrong, I love Raymarine stuff normally; I just dropped about $10K on all new Raymarine for my Carver, they just don't make much for smaller boats like these.
Don

Very Cool, I guess I missed the updates on the Boat search..... I have a Cover Quest Full Cover, this is its 5th Season, I have no complaints... I would buy another.

I had a bunch of pics I took that day but I never sent them because the boat was sold. I will see if I still have them in the Camera?

I love the TXP's by Turbo ... I buy all mine from Poodle! I would suggest a 25 TXP to start, less slip, more rake and a tad more cup.... it moves mine right along.

Good Luck any Q's shoot me a PM!

Doc :smash:

Cuda
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Sweet 22. Nice color combo to.:yes:
Everyone knows that blue is the fastest color. :)

Dr. Dan
04-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Everyone knows that blue is the fastest color. :)

Yep, I agree, right after Teal, that's why they had to stop making it and outfitting them with a King Cobra Drive, complaints were heard by "estranged Texans with untold monetary investments in their Transoms. :bonk: And we all know how untolerable whining Texan Kentuckians can be?

Doc of Next :wink:

zelatore
04-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Well, with an all-stock powertrain I'm in no position to argue about the fastest color so I'll leave that between you guys. At least for now.

Just ordered up a red sunbrella cover from coverquest - should be here in a couple weeks. I gotta be nice to the credit card for a while, but I think there's still some room for a couple more little additions yet this week.

Don

undertaker
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Congrats Zelatore glad things worked out for ya.....:) :) by the way I also have a coverquest cover 3rd season still looks new...Good luck with your new ride..

Undertaker:pimp:

MOP
04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Qoute: and I picked up some merc drive oil, but heck, I didn't even see the drain on that bravo...like I said, stern drives aren't my strong point!

Pull the prop the drain is right behind it.

Phil

zimm17
04-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Just ordered up a red sunbrella cover from coverquest - should be here in a couple weeks. I gotta be nice to the credit card for a while, but I think there's still some room for a couple more little additions yet this week.
Don

Here's what the red cover will look like. I also keep my boat next to the house.

yeller
04-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, with an all-stock powertrain I'm in no position to argue about the fastest color so I'll leave that between you guys. At least for now.
Your lucky, you got the final year of the 502. (I think they came with the 496 in 02). I wish they never stopped using it. Lots of room for HP updates. :yes:

LKSD
05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Nice 22.. You will like it... :yes: (I liked mine).. To bad you arent back east here.. To run it here on the bay with all of us east coast guys.. :( Jamie / Lakeside

zelatore
05-01-2007, 09:38 AM
I looked at the 502 from a couple different points of view.

A- We used 502's in some yachts several years ago with less than stellar results. Usually people only put them in to save money when they really should have used diesels...you can imagine the rest.

B- In the auto world, the 502 has a fine rep. It's been a GM hot rod staple for a long time with good results.

C- bigger is always better :wink:

The issues with A weren't really the motor's fault so much as the builde's and buyer's. B and C outweigh A every time.

I've run the 496's in yachts plenty of times, but again I don't really like them that much for that application as they seem to lack some of the low RPM torque needed in big heavy boats. I suspect they would do fine in a light weight sport boat, but since the 454/502 family is fully mature regarding performance parts and the 8.1/496 is a realitive newcomer it's no surprise the hot rod community is still using the older archetecture.

I know a few people here have discussed fuel milage. I'm not worried about it. Any time you think a 22 is a gas hog, you're welcome to fuel up my Carver 32 with twin 454s - :eek!:

Don

roadtrip se
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Yep, I agree, right after Teal, that's why they had to stop making it and outfitting them with a King Cobra Drive, complaints were heard by "estranged Texans with untold monetary investments in their Transoms. :bonk: And we all know how untolerable whining Texan Kentuckians can be?
Doc of Next :wink:

so get it right O'Doctor of Instigation and miscellaneous flooring samples.

We all know that RED is the CLASSIC color on these boats, no doubt. That is one pretty boat Zelatore. Mine came with a 502 and that prop combo resulting in 68-72. Have fun with it and let the upgrades begin.

As for the whining, this is the last year for the stock 500, because we will be ready for new valve springs and maybe a gentle massage of a few other things in the engine bay this winter. I just told you that I was putting a new horn in the nose this year, it's really a forced air induction system. So get ready, Dr. Teal, keeper of one healthy "Stock" 500 EFI.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2007, 11:02 AM
smack smack.... :wink:

Carl C
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
It has been proven repeatedly that blue or red will slow you down. Teal is fairly fast but yellow is for sure the fastest color and that's why the smiley faces are yellow. It's all true, Reggie Fountain said so. :) :) :) :) :)

zelatore
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
It has been proven repeatedly that blue or red will slow you down. Teal is fairly fast but yellow is for sure the fastest color and that's why the smiley faces are yellow. It's all true, Reggie Fountain said so. :) :) :) :) :)

Man, no wonder I wasn't able to find a yellow one - they were all going to fast to see!

Don

Dr. Dan
05-01-2007, 08:59 PM
so get it right O'Doctor of Instigation and miscellaneous flooring samples.
We all know that RED is the CLASSIC color on these boats, no doubt. That is one pretty boat Zelatore. Mine came with a 502 and that prop combo resulting in 68-72. Have fun with it and let the upgrades begin.
As for the whining, this is the last year for the stock 500, because we will be ready for new valve springs and maybe a gentle massage of a few other things in the engine bay this winter. I just told you that I was putting a new horn in the nose this year, it's really a forced air induction system. So get ready, Dr. Teal, keeper of one healthy "Stock" 500 EFI.

:spongebob: Oh Great Tequilla Breath! Yee have little faith, if you think I will ever let your "Illmor Valve Spring Job" ever get the best of me you be
a " Trippin Dude" I too have my own version of skunk works planned.... and it will not be pleasant for you...

I just have to get the $4 million Insurance Rider approved first before the trigger gets pulled. Truth is you will likely be safe for 2008 Season. I will redo my drive before I redo the Mill, just to have an accurate base line on the gains.

Blah Blah Yikkity Yack Jack!

Doc of Non-Disclosed Displacement :wavey:

BUIZILLA
05-01-2007, 09:14 PM
smack smack smack... :lookaroun:

Cuda
05-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Teal is second fastest color, only when accompanied by blue in the engine comparment.:cool: