PDA

View Full Version : Noise in my cove on the lake

BigGrizzly
04-29-2007, 08:06 PM
I was having breakfast yesterday and heard a lot of noise down at the dock, Who the heck is disturbing the peace at this hour. Go down to the dock and there he was Disturbing the Peace himself! We spent the day testing props OH my what hard work. Told My wife that house cleaning was out I had some really hard work to do!!! Then of course we had to test each prop for at least until we felt comfortable driving the boat. You guys know how tedious this can be.

Greg K
04-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Randy,

What props were tested and what engine drive combo? Results?

BigGrizzly
04-30-2007, 10:25 AM
He has a 454 injected worked over by Mark Bose, the ECU Man, in new Orleans. With ab0ut 480 Hp and a bravo and Imco shorty. He had a Power tech 26 four blade on it and was too small. We bypassed the turboI because it was wrong for the application and pitches don't go higher so we jumped to the TXP 3 blade and Fusion series The TXP had vent holes in it which mate it hard to plane. The ride was stable an faster about 75. The Fusion had vents but was faster on a plane but lost about 1.5 MPH. He liked that prop better because of that point. We had a late lunch and I made plugs for the vents and back to the boat. This made it just perfect for him. We went out to the rough part of the lake. Dan though the boat handled and road better than ever before. This prop is definitely a step up from the Hydromotive. The prop is an out of the box unit with no tweeks needed. I think I need to do some more testing on my boat when I get ig cleaned up etc.

Greg K
04-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Have you tried the TXP OT-4 on anything yet?

BigGrizzly
04-30-2007, 06:49 PM
The Fusion is a 4 blade TXP blade and is a little bigger in diameter. I didn't have one big enough. I only have a 24 in that prop looks the same. I think this was better for the application. I will let you know when I get a good test on that prop.

Barry Eller
05-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Hey Griz, Dan told me he enjoyed meeting you and you have a nice place there on the lake.
Now he needs to get back to Gulf Breeze and help me put the 502 back together. I'll show him some hard work!
Those dry pipes of his do "Disturb the Peace". :fire: :eek!:
Photo removed to protect the innocent!:eek!:

BigGrizzly
05-01-2007, 05:28 PM
So I know what he did on Sunday My wife is a blond, That is a sales student, we were cleaning out the garage.

Barry Eller
05-01-2007, 06:13 PM
So I know what he did on Sunday My wife is a blond, That is a sales student, we were cleaning out the garage.
Oops...
Dan leaves himself so vulnerable!
You should see some of the other stuff he e-mails me!:biggrin.: :wink:

ChromeGorilla
05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Randy, what is the difference between the Fusion and the TXP OT4.... Just diameter? or design as well?

BigGrizzly
05-02-2007, 09:41 AM
The TXP QT4 is an over the hub prop for outboards made to ventilate on planing of bass boats. not a good choice for Donzi as you have to rev. it higher on initial take off. Top speed has no gains. It doesn't like shorty s either.

p729lws
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Well this is the first time since I was up at Randy's place that I've had a chance to get on a real PC. Posting from the pocket PC is a PITA .

If you have a chance to visit Randy on Lake Lanier I highly recommend it! With his critter in the garage we were able to use the hydro-hoist to play with props and it's a short no wake zone from the dock to get to an open part of the lake large enough to get some full speed runs in.

The shorty and the TXP 3-blade were not a good match if you have any plans of getting on plane in a reasonable amount of time! In fact I was not able to get on plane without some pointers from BG and even then it was tough to do. This prop was vented so there was room for improvement but I doubt that plugging the vents would make enough improvement to make it acceptable. The extra blade on the Fusion improved the planning time considerably. I'm looking forward to running the prop at sea level in salt water to see how the speeds compare to Lake Lanier at 1100'.

I spent the most of the weekend in sales meetings at a resort on the south side of the lake. As you can tell from the photos I may have missed a meeting or two, lol. The photo Barry posted is indeed NOT BG but is a fellow co-worker.
The hospitality and the lake were great! It wouldn't take much to get me to make the road trip again. Anybody up for a Donzi gathering on Lanier?

Dan

PS: And now I know the secret to where the BG screen name comes from.

p729lws
05-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Thought I'd post an update on the 27P 4-blade Fusion. The prop was running just shy of 75 MPH at about 4800 RPM up at Big Griz's place on lake Lanier. Running back home at sea level on salt water it picked up a couple MPH and a couple hundred RPM. Up until this point I was running w/ fuel that was about 6 months old. With a full tank of fresh fuel my best run to date is 78.4 MPH at about 5200 RPM and about 11% slip. I was able to hold this speed for awhile so I don't think the reading is a fluke. I have a couple more things to tweak on the boat so there might be a tad more speed in her yet.

Thanks again for the prop testing Randy!

Dan

BigGrizzly
05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Glad we could help. This is the fun part. The old fuel and the 1071 altitude and the day is different.
Same day testing is the only way to go.

p729lws
05-22-2007, 02:04 PM
I couldnt help but remember my sugestion for a name for your boat when I got this....

"Disturbing the Peach" was good but this is even better! :eek!: Maybe the next boat will have to be peach colored....

Barry Eller
05-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Laura won't like it...:wink: