PDA

View Full Version : Oil change device????

Stevo440
04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
What is the device of choice for suckin the oil outta the crankcase usin the flexible line from oil pan? Type? Model? Price? Place to purchase? and whatever else you can throw in for the hell of it.....Thanks
Ps I'm not interested in the cheapo junkie units, just ones that work, get the job done, will last a few years or more and don't cost an arm anda leg.

mrfixxall
04-27-2007, 02:16 PM
This is what i use,,,,,air or manuel works awsome!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Astro-Pneumatic-9-L-Manual-Pneumatic-Fluid-Extractor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43998QQihZ006 QQitemZ160023442677

joel3078
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Figure 60-70 bucks
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/268534/0/0/oil%20pump/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0
Works best when oil is hot/thin. Let engine run 10-15 minutes 1st before changing oil. This is a manual pump unit by the way. Only have to pump 5-10 times however. Has an auto shut off if the container gets too full.

DON N.
04-27-2007, 02:50 PM
The One Joel 3078 Shows / Is The One I Have And It Works Excellent.

I Think I Paid Around $64.00 W/ Tax.

realbold
04-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Reverso pump permanently mounted will last a long time. Not an el cheapo, I think they're about $150. Impellers can be replaced if ever needed.
They also make manifolds with valves for multiple engines.

gcarter
04-27-2007, 03:31 PM
I like the one w/the fitting/hose screwed to the pan drain. You run the hose out the transom drain hole and into a container.
How could it be any easier????
Run the hose out the drain.
Remove the cap from the remote end of hose.
put end of hose into container.
You can go do something useful while draining oil.

I'm NOT going to say something about cavemen, but you get the picture.:)

Pismo
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
This type

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Shurflo_Oil_Change/_Winterizing_System&cname=Oil-Changers-/-Filters&r=view&i=74469&aID=24A

Pismo
04-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I like the one w/the fitting/hose screwed to the pan drain. You run the hose out the transom drain hole and into a container.
How could it be any easier????
Run the hose out the drain.
Remove the cap from the remote end of hose.
put end of hose into container.
You can go do something useful while draining oil.
I'm NOT going to say something about cavemen, but you get the picture.:)

I have one and love it but the only problem with these is the boat has to be out of the water.

Stevo440
04-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Ok thanks for all the info now I have a question about the rubber line I have on my engine. 2001 454 mag mpi, does that hose attach to the drain hole in the oil pan? Which in fact makes it a remote drain line? As per gcarter mentions. I have been lazy the last 3 years I've owned the boat, but things are changin now, have'nt stuck my head that far in yet to see who's in there... Thanks again

gcarter
04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes, you have to determine if the thread is English or metric....some kits come w/both.

Cuda
04-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I've bought just about every kind of oil remover known to man. The suction type worked well until the seal dried out, then it wasn't worth anything thing, so I went to Boater's World and bought this rig for about $100. It worked great..........until the last time I tried to use it. I could piss faster than it was pumping. I think there might be something inside the fitting, but I can't take it apart. I pumped out about a quart in an hour and a half, then I said to hell with it, I pulled the drain plug out, and let it drain into my bilge, then used a small shop vac I had taken the filter out of, and sucked up the oil, then washed the bilge down.

BigGrizzly
04-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I have the one Joel has and use a 3/8 hose with a 1/4 female pipe with a barb on the other end it screws on to the remote drain when the cap is removed works great. Warm the oil up first makes draining easier and faster

gcarter
04-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Maybe the permanently installed drain-hose-through-the-transom-drain-hole would be difficult to use w/twins......
I also thought about attaching the end of the drain hose to the transom drain plug using a small lanyard. This might make it easier to use.

Cuda
04-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Maybe the permanently installed drain-hose-through-the-transom-drain-hole would be difficult to use w/twins......
I also thought about attaching the end of the drain hose to the transom drain plug using a small lanyard. This might make it easier to use.
I have through the drain hole hoses on my Formula with twins. The hoses are long enough that I draped them over the oil filter when not in use. I've never used them, I've always pumped the oil out. It ain't easy getting to the drain plug on the inside of a twin engine boat. :(

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Not hard at all with twins, the picture was my girls Christmas gift to me.
Merc Drain kits come standard on the 496HO, she paid $250 for the pros to drill two holes.
I save the TIDE Detergent Tubs that hold 2.34 Gallons, sealed lid, handle, a breeze.
NOW oil changes are easy!
Picture taken during annual alignment check and Merc service.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Mpoodle, ok, what is a weather head fitting? I of course need a picture.
I usually clean for the hour I let mine drain on warm oil.
SOMETIMES faster would be better, like the fall or EARLY spring.

Thanks.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Ask for a picture ---- receive. Thanks MP...

After the BS issues I have had lately, I am off to bed soon in hopes that I come home tired from a great day of boating, and not posting from an issue!
Cheers.

Bryan

yeller
04-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I drain mine in the same as BigGrizzly (with a similiar extractor). I found out they don't like gasoline....now I need new one. :bonk:

Pismo
04-28-2007, 07:24 AM
The ultimate oil changer are those prelubers that can also be used to drain the oil.

realbold
04-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Reverso.....
http://www.reversopumps.com/contact_pumps.php

margo
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I bought the setup from westmarine it is a 5gal plastic container with the reversable pump mounted to the fixed lid....Heat up oil then insert the plastic hose into the dipstick attach clips to battery turn on and it takes about 5min....Works great no mess also reverse pump switch and pump oil back into same quart bots. to dispose of.... approx $125 or so about 15 years ago Joe

fasttrucker
04-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Just bought this at west marine.On sale $99.00.

Ed Donnelly
04-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Fasttrucker; Come on....How many people do you think will really fall for that story..............................

You bought an oil change drain system complete with a cat that hooks it up and runs it............We ain't that dumb here in Canada..............Ed

yeller
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
See post # 16 :yes:
Well why didn't you warn me a month ago....:wink:

dclassic
04-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I installed the Merc drain hose kit through the hull drain plug as well. Much easier and cleaner than pumping IMO. Works well for people like me who store the boat on the trailer.

noisynova
04-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Just bought this at west marine.On sale $99.00.
Me too. Damn those emails from West Marine.:wink:

rr1048
04-29-2007, 03:14 PM
I have had great service life and reliability using the Jabsco Oil Drain Hand Pump connected to a hose screwed into the drain plug in my oil pan. The hose is capped and secured when not needed. I was turned on to this method from a friend and he has used this process for years. These little pumps last forever.

Randy