PDA

View Full Version : Chipped tooth on starter ring gear

Barry Eller
04-26-2007, 07:02 AM
My flywheel has a chipped tooth. The fly wheel has a "pressed on" ring gear. However, will a "flex plate" work instead of the 50 lb flywheel? I work at a GM auto dealership, out parts dept told me that the ring gear is not available. After market only. A flex plate can be bought cheap, compared to a "Billet Flywheel".

gcarter
04-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Ring gears are VERY inexpensive, and everybody stocks them. Also they're easy to change/install.
The ring gear goes in the oven and the flywheel goes in the freezer.

gcarter
04-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Also from the photo, it looks like your engine is externally balanced.

Barry Eller
04-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Ring gears are VERY inexpensive, and everybody stocks them. Also they're easy to change/install.
The ring gear goes in the oven and the flywheel goes in the freezer.

Yep, your right. Just found a local auto parts that has them.

I'll have to move my "Beer Mugs" from the freezer to make room for the flywheel. :beer:

My wife is not going to belive this...

mrfixxall
04-26-2007, 10:04 AM
You may also want to have them reballance the flywhel also after you install the new ring,,50 bucks may save you thousands....i would also get some of the rust off of it to ans give a nice paint job too..

Barry Eller
04-26-2007, 10:22 AM
You may also want to have them reballance the flywhel also after you install the new ring,,50 bucks may save you thousands....i would also get some of the rust off of it to ans give a nice paint job too..

Yeah, I'm taking it to a machine shop. I'll be painting everything when I reassemble. The rust came from my transom mount O-ring that was leaking. You wouldn't belive how fast things rust in salt water. I't a constant battle, I go through cases of WD-40.

f_inscreenname
04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Just a FYI.
Boats use a heavy flywheel so they don't bog down at low RPM. So the heavier the better for the slow goers. A lighter flywheel will give you faster take off but will have a harder time keeping a constant RPM at slower speeds.