PDA

View Full Version : TRS questions

cutwater
04-26-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm looking at a buying a '76 with a TRS drive. It would be my first Donzi. Tried to read past threads on the TRS, so correct me if I've got any of this info wrong:

2 types of trans used - Merc II and BW Velvet Drive. What years were each of these used? What would a '76 probably have?

It seems parts are relatively easy to find for a discontinued unit. What would a rebuild cost me for a working TRS drive and tranny (preventive maint.)? From what I've read, if I had the drive and tranny rebuilt now and kept it under ~400hp, the drive would be pretty much bulletproof?

Which props fit the TRS drives?

BigGrizzly
04-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I have the Merc trans in my 650+HP Criterion. It is a 1981 and 3years ago I beat it too hard and lost a clutch plate. Fixed it and had the lower unit rebuilt. It was the first fix since new. It has been fine ever since. Don't let the TRS scare you. I like the unit. Brownie told me it was small durable and not worth changing unless it gave me big trouble or I wanted to put a shorty on the boat. That is one man I will listen to. You put it in gear and the boat moves no noise no grinding.

BUIZILLA
04-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I love my TRS, it's heavy, it eats HP, and it's slower than a B1, but I could care less about ANY of that. :cool: