PDA

View Full Version : Persistent problem

Yellowdonzi67
04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I have a '67 16' ski sporter with a ford 302 and the volvo 200 outdrive.

It sat the season before last as I did not have time, motivation, or resources to keep it running. It was the family's boat but since it scares the crap out of my sister and mother, and my father is short on time for it, this boat has become what I would like to describe as my passion.

Last season it got out about 7-8 times each time coming back in because of 1 or a number of mechanical problems. From melted plastic behind an original gauge causing a short, to the problem I am seeking help with now.

The problem is after about 10-15 minutes of the engine running in perfect condition, the engine sputters and stalls. It sounds and feels as though its not getting any/enough gas...and where I would go out at ~40mph I'd be coming in at around 6....The cylinders aren't missing, but the RPMs and power drops to near idle despite halfway open throttle....

I have been attempting to fix the problem since the beginning of last years season...some suggested an electrical problem...this is the work I did on it last year attempting to remedy this issue. Last year there were many other problems unrelated to this one to be fixed, and I am proud to say they are all taken care of. Here's what I know its not.

-Plugs, wires, ballast resistor, and the coil.

What else it could possibly be?

I am placing my bets that there's water in the tank. I can't reproduce it in the driveway, and the only other things I can think of are the distributor and the cap....but I can't see how I'd only have problems with them on the water. But its hard to find advice on boats especially a classic like this one.

What would you guys suggest I check?

The boat is currently in a marina getting some fiberglass work done on the rear bench where the wood undernearth the seat rotted away. I asked them to look at the engine but right now I'm looking for answers from anyone and everyone.

Right now I'm a student at the University of Maryland and everyday as pretty as today that this boat isn't in the water is one spent in agony. The boat is out of Annapolis, Maryland...

realbold
04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
How long has the gas been in it?

Yellowdonzi67
04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I haven't put a full tank in in I guess about 2-3 years now.

I have however put de-water-izer, octane, and other treatments each time we winterized/pulled the boat out for the spring.

I also put in 8 gallons for the first trip out this season (filling it back up)

RedDog
04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Fuel pickup in your tank is clogging after running for a while. As you run the debris in the tank stirs up and clogs the pickup. After sitting for a while the debris settles. In your drive it doesn't get stirred (mixed) up.

Is that a 40 year old tank? Could be corrosion in the interior. Pump out all of the fuel and see what you get from the bottom.

Yellowdonzi67
04-24-2007, 06:53 PM
what would be the best way to get the gas out of the tank, and the best way to look inside the tank?

realbold
04-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I never had to do it, I pulled my tank out when it was almost empty, but I would probably either pump it out or syphon thru the hole on top for the gage or thru the supply line.
Empty the water separator and see what you got.

Sweet little 16
04-25-2007, 05:53 AM
the tank is a problem there are no short cuts around it, it needs to be replaced weather it is the source of this problem or not

rig a 5 gallon portable tank and run the boat see if the problem goes away that will point you in the right direction to a fuel supply line blockage, or a motor problem ie carb or ignition problem

Rootsy
04-25-2007, 06:28 AM
what would be the best way to get the gas out of the tank, and the best way to look inside the tank?

This is a surefire way... no pun intended :eek!:

Formula Jr
04-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Check your gas vent tube.
Or if you do run into the idle condition, shut down, open up your gas fill cap, replace cap, and see if you can run wot for another 15-20 minutes.

Mud-wasps (dobbers - as they say in Naptown) nest in the darnest places.

realbold
04-25-2007, 07:14 AM
This is a surefire way... no pun intended :eek!:
:biggrin: Yeah, a 40 year old tank might need to be replaced anyway,

BigGrizzly
04-25-2007, 08:51 AM
You have 2 problems! 1, on the bottom of the fuel pick up is a screen that is very fine and clogs. as the vacuum reduces after a time the dirt falls off the screen and it looks fine . pull the pick up out and remove the screen and put in a better filter than the bronze one that came with the boat. Problem 2, If you have an original teleflex tach you will find the ignition runs through it and it will have a problem of getting hot then stop the motor. it cools down when you get back to dock and when check the ignition everything checks fine. I found this out about 2 miles offshore of Seaside New Jersey. I jumped from the battery directly to the resistor to the coil, engine ran. The new replacements didn't have this problem. Go with the pickup first.

Yellowdonzi67
04-25-2007, 11:00 AM
You have 2 problems! 1, on the bottom of the fuel pick up is a screen that is very fine and clogs. as the vacuum reduces after a time the dirt falls off the screen and it looks fine . pull the pick up out and remove the screen and put in a better filter than the bronze one that came with the boat. Problem 2, If you have an original teleflex tach you will find the ignition runs through it and it will have a problem of getting hot then stop the motor. it cools down when you get back to dock and when check the ignition everything checks fine. I found this out about 2 miles offshore of Seaside New Jersey. I jumped from the battery directly to the resistor to the coil, engine ran. The new replacements didn't have this problem. Go with the pickup first.

We had the exact same problem with the volts meter on the water last year, except the electrical system would just die out on the waterm the engine along with it. I believe we (my mechanic and I) checked every guage but it couldn't hurt to look again.

Also, where is the pick-up located and whats the easiest method to get to it/get it out?

Thanks again for your help,

tiger lily
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
your problem is fuel related, and is the exact same problem i am having with my boat since last summer, and i did redo alot of my electrical also, so this is what i did, and i think you might also want to try the same, we plumbed in a fuel gauge, and while running the boat, anything over 2900-3000 rpms, my fuel pressure would fall off, and down to 0 and stall the boat if i didnt back the throttle down, then the next step was we hooked up a 5 gallon can, went out on the lake, and did WOT passes and fuel pressure stayed at 6psi the whole time on the 5 gallon tank, which tells me , i have a problem in my fuel line or fuel tank, you should try doing that before spending anymore money

Yellowdonzi67
05-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I am going to pick her up from the marina today - a rant for another thread. Lets just say 1000 dollars worth of glasswork isn't enough for them to live up to what they say for the fuel problem. 7 weeks later and I'm tired of screwing with them...always an excuse.

Pulling all the fuel is a bit to dangerous for me (i don't have any equipment). So i wanted to see if i could compile a list of things to do to see if i can't get the water, or debris out of there in the driveway without pumping a full gas tank.

Here's whats on the list today.
-Dry gas additive
-Opening the bronze fuel filter, removing the filters, and soaking all the gas/water out of the bottom (if there is any water).
-Checking the gas vent tube (still not sure the best way to do this, suggestions welcome).

I'm going to run it in the driveway long enough to see if i can replicate the problem.

If there are any other suggestions please let me know, i'd like to hear them

MOP
05-16-2007, 12:14 PM
You can remove the fuel gauge sender in the tank, if you have no other way you can syphon into a container keeping an eye out for when it goes to clear gas. Normally there is not near as much water in a tank as some would imagine.

Phil

f_inscreenname
05-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Also do not use a shop vac or boom!
Most know that but just in case.:wink: