PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust out the prop/or the transom?

Tank
04-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Any RPM gain with this swap?
I know it would be best with small cam mod?
What did you do and how did it work ????
SBC 19' 2600 lb
Tanks

Morgan's Cloud
04-24-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm still waiting for a report on your first sea trial ! ! haha
As far as your question .... I don't think you'd really notice any great improvement.
Unfortunately I can't give any testimonials based on actual experience .
Everything I've had was either or , nothing that I ran and then converted.
I bet , however , that there are a few here who have done the conversion.
Steve

Tank
04-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Steav
Yes I am shore some one has don this and I am planning!
You see I have a sbc comp 268 cam and it already has 600 holy so I think the cam and
Thru exhaust should bump the HP just a tad! You see I want both good dependability
And fast! 60 ish would be good 65 better.
One thing I like is I can add cam with out pulling the motor!
I should have it in day or two I will post findings Sat night or sooner.

HY what dos yours have HP / prop and how fast????
I think sbc and 23 or 24 SS prop.
Have I seen photos of yours?
I think I have found all on the Donze net.
Tanks Brian
PS I will run first :wink:

Morgan's Cloud
04-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Hey there Brian ,
Just to clarify ... I think that if you only went through hull with the exhaust and did NO other changes you probably would'nt really see a difference.
As far as mine goes , the 5 year and 3 month total resto is almost complete. As it has also been a re-power I have no figures yet.
The new package is a Volvo 5.7 Gi(gf)/SX-A .
This is pretty much Volvo's version of the 350 MAG. but rated at 280 prop hp. A single prop unit with 1.51:1 gears. We are starting out with a 14.3X21 3 blade prop and will go from there. (should turn 46-5000 wot)
Originally I had a 351W with Alpha 1 . Turned up 4200 rpm through 1.5:1 gears and a 21" prop. It probably was about 235 crankshaft hp. Gps'd @ 50 MPH. Not breathtaking , but the Hornet/St T hull can be a handfull. That's why I'm anxious to hear about your first run !
D Hartdmann on the board has one that he has also done a good bit of work on recently and I think he has a 350 MAG in his .. the last I heard from him he was still propping it and was easily at 63-64 with more to go.
MP posted a photo of mine for me shortly after I joined here but I am unable to locate it now. Originally it was identical in colour to yours when I first got it .
Steve

Tank
04-25-2007, 09:02 AM
HI Steav
I got bad news this morning!!! My boat did not ship! And now I am told nexet week.:( :( :(
Sounds like you have a very good combo in yours, I might try a 23P
you have more HP I would think more Pitch?:wink: =MPH
I thought I did not see photo of it.
Sounds like some new color on her?
We NEED PHOTOS!!!:wink: :wink:
You have seen as much of mine as I have what’s yours look like?
Just dreamen :boat:
Tank

yeller
04-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Just to clarify ... I think that if you only went through hull with the exhaust and did NO other changes you probably would'nt really see a difference.My setup is completely different (496 procharger), but I find the above statement very true. Using the switchable exhaust, I do not see any difference whether I run through prop or transom.

Morgan's Cloud
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Brian ,

I'm pretty illiterate at these things , but PM me your e-mail address and I'll try to fwd a few pics first thing tomorrow ...

Steve

Tank
04-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Tanks Yeller
Thats what I thought. Procharger I almost put one on my Berben.
Thats on hot boat you got there.
Steve check you pm I think I did it right?:crossfing:
Brian

Morgan's Cloud
04-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Check your e-mail Brian ! :wink: