PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Catalytic Converters for boats!

harbormaster
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
It is fairly well known that on January 2, 2008, new California engine emissions legislation is due to become law with new standards dramatically reducing the exhaust emissions of all boat engines lower than 500HP.
What is less known is that one year later, on January 2, 2009, California engine emissions legislation will become law that will limit the exhaust emissions of all “high-performance” boat engines of greater than 500HP. The new laws require that all “high-performance” marine engines will have to use catalytic converters in order to meet the emissions levels currently mandated. At this time no such engines exist and the cost of development of the new engines would seriously impact the high-performance boating industry.
The EPA will mandate similar restrictions for “high-performance” boats in all 50 States within a few years.
Changes to the proposed legislation are possible if supported by facts and weighty evidence that the proposed rules would be too burdensome and unsuitable for the high-performance sector of our industry. For this purpose a survey has been created for high performance boaters with engines of greater than 500HP. The survey data collected will be used exclusively in communication with the California Air Research Board (ARB) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The intent is to provide the ARB and EPA accurate operational and engine type data for high performance boating in the United States.

GO TO: www.hpboatsurvey.com (http://www.hpboatsurvey.com)

Pismo
04-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I am sure older boats will be grandfathered in so its time to buy a new boat before '09.

Carl C
04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
I wonder if there will be emission testing. In the early days of cats on cars some people hollowed them out or just took them off.

BUIZILLA
04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
and just where EXACTLY do they plan on putting these things ??

thinka bout that for just a sec, and get back to me on those logistics

:bonk:

RedDog
04-23-2007, 06:45 PM
and just where EXACTLY do they plan on putting these things ??
thinka bout that for just a sec, and get back to me on those logistics
:bonk:

Here's an idea. Route the the exhaust thru-hull - truely thru-hull and not thru-transom. Put the exchanger inline in the exhaust pipe in the water under the hull. That way no worries about a converter over heating and melting down the fiberglass hull. Shape the converter in a delta pad configuration and no performance hits taken - right?

mrfixxall
04-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I think its going to be inpossible,,first a cat sonverter has to run a 300 + degrees in order to work..second their will be water going through the exhaust at 150 to 180 degrees which will keep the cat temps at approx 200 degrees..
I dont think it will ever work unless they plan on running a dry exhaust system which is a fire hazzard....................aint never going to work.

BigGrizzly
04-23-2007, 08:29 PM
I have worked with CARB when I was working in CA. As for grand father, they will give a dollar amount to bring it up to specs after that was exceeded they would let you pass anyway. They use to test all cars in a state supported buildings but it got too expensive so they quit. The real problem is that that government can almost do what it wants unless challenged like Yamaha did on lake Taho with the jet skies and emissions. Do you guys realize that 2 stroke weed wackers are outlawed in la county. Both commercials and residential. CARB cam pretty much do what they want. Do people also realize that a diesel trucks (tractor trailer)when rebuilt must be borough up to todays standard by the feds. Look at California motorcycles compared to the rest. Can you say catalytic converters! Mrfixal, it can be done, by running the water hose around the converter. However then the violate the federal law about water cooled exhaust below decks. Just so you know my CMI are well above 300 in the hedder and collector. If you are at Cumberland you can stick your hand up the Corsican exhaust and feel it your self, warm is not the word I would describe it. If they have to run cats they will find a way! I said it was comming and here we go.

mphatc
04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
This is only a simple heat transfer problem. All one needs to do is isolate the cat convertor from the cooling water exposed surfaces . .
The technology exists for this .

Cooling water flowing around it will not work as a convertor needs to heat up to function.

Inspect any new vehicle and the cats are as close as possible to the engine, and / or all the piping to the cat is insulated to keep the exhaust hot as it flows to the cat . .

In a marine application this means that the exhaust system will need to entirely redesigned as the water jacket of the manifold will over cool the exhaust . .

Randy, 300 degress in the Corsican . .is this a surface temp inside your engine compartment ? Have you had any problems with this? I am waiting on my CMI headers now . .
Mario

MOP
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Indmar is already on the ball! They say no loss of power!

http://www.indmar.com/ProductLine/Indmar/5.7L-HO/index.html

BigGrizzly
04-24-2007, 08:41 AM
The engine compartment is cool -relatively, the inside of the exhaust is above 300 degrees,which the cat needs to operate. Not the outside temp. in 1972 they had 3 stage cats which ran real hot outside the cat but after several fires on Caddys GM dropped them. they actually softened the asphalt on some driveways after sitting for a while, an set lawns leaves on fire. Sorry for the mis direction on my part. The saving grace is that the engine manufactures are going to have to do it not us. The feds will not let California cause undo financial harm to these guys YET. Just so you know this isn't new, its been going on since before 2000. It also affects outboards. If the manufactures can meet the spec without a cat the state will have to allow the engine to pass. We put cats on our bikes because it was easy and cheap. Honda outboards pass the 2008 mandate without cats and have already been approved. If anybody cares the LA air quality has greatly improved since 1982 in monumental proportions. In the ten or so years I lived there I could actually notice it. The big orange curtain at Torrance bulv. actually got lighter. So in conclusion this clean air act does work for the better for the general public.