PDA

View Full Version : Cute picture

vonkamp
04-23-2007, 10:56 AM
We have two baby owls and mom living in our back yard.

Cuda
04-23-2007, 11:29 AM
If you have any small dogs, keep them inside, less they become an owl snack.:eek!:

There are a few owls that live in the woods near us. We can hear them calling each other. One night, I heard them calling, so I did my owl call, and I'll be damned if he didn't fly right over and land on my power line. :)

He would also sometimes sit on the power line across my driveway. He wouldn't fly off, even when I walked under him to take a picture. I finally figured out what he was doing. He was frog hunting, because I have a bright light over the driveway, which attracts the frog because of the insects. It's a dog eat dog world out there.:eek!:

Carl C
04-23-2007, 11:40 AM
It looks like they might be "barred owls". Should help keep the mice (and small dogs) under control. My birdie guide says they are easily scared off so don't disturb them.

Team Jefe
04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
. It's a dog eat dog world out there.:eek!:

I always thought it was a Doggie Dog World:lookaroun:

goatee
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
jeff, was that a joke?
you're not serious are you?

Tom Davis
04-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Yup it looks like a barred owl, had one as a pet when I was young, used to feed it road kill until it was old enough to be set free. I found it when it was very young in the chicken coup just sitting there at one end of the roost while all the chickens were huddled in terror at the other end of the roost.

After I set it free it hung around for awhile in a house I made for it up in a tree and I used to feed it road kill from a chair with very thick leather gloves! Did you ever notice that when owls fly they don't make any sound! Very scarry preditor!

Just my .02

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Cuda
04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Another time, an owl was sitting in a tree over the canal behind out house. There was a squirrel hopping through the trees. I figured he was about to be an owl snack, when the squirrel jumped right over at the owl. At first I thought it was a suicidal squirrel, but when he continued to do it, until he aggravated the owl enough to fly off, I finally figured he must have had a nest nearby, and wanted to run the owl off to protect it. Now I know why squirrels have such big nuts!:eek!: