PDA

View Full Version : What Keeps Water Out Of Boat-Bellows or Bellhousing?

Carl C
04-22-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm new to sterndrives. Would a small crack or hole in the bellhousing let water into the boat or does the bellows keep it from getting that far? :confused:

mrfixxall
04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
both lol,,well the bell housing is attached to the engine then no...you may be refering to where the drive is attached to which is called the gimble housing.. if theirs a crack in the gimble housing it may leak water in the boat..If theirs a tear in the bellow which the yoke goes through and attaches to the coupler that will also leak water into the boat...Theirs also a little hole where the limiter switches go through (limits the drive going up and down & tells the trim guage where your drive is at) can also leak water into the boat. hope this was helpful..

good luck on your lawsuit..

MOP
04-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm new to sterndrives. Would a small crack or hole in the bellhousing let water into the boat or does the bellows keep it from getting that far? :confused:
Carl I think you are talking about the engines bell housing, if so the water can not get to it unless the bilge fills. So to answer what I think the question it yes the bellows keeps it from getting into the bilge.

Phil

Carl C
04-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes, I'm talking about the bellhousing that the engine bolts to. If that stays dry then that answers my question. Thanks.

MOP
04-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Don't Ya just love late edits!:wink: