PDA

View Full Version : Draining gas on Z-25

YmeHP
04-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey, my buddy just bought a 89' Z-25 that came with a 3/4 full tank. He would like to remove the old gas and replace with new. What is the easiest way to do this?

gcarter
04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Someone suggested removing the sending unit, inserting a hose into the tank, running it out the stern plug and siphoning it out.

MOP
04-22-2007, 08:00 PM
George is right with one extra thing, use a piece of copper tubing with a small V cut into the tip use it to get to the very bottom that way you will most of the water and debris that has collected over the years. It also helps to raise the bow to make sure the water migrates fully aft in the tank.

Phil

FUELPOWERED
04-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Please be sure to dispose of old fuel properly. Take it to a household hazardous waste collection site. They'll be happy to help.

MOP
04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
If it is not real old gas I would burn a few gallons mixed in with fresh in my car or truck and lawn equipment.

Budmann
04-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Or add alittle octane boost and not waste that GOLD!!! With fuel prices the way they are... send it to me!!!!:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

YmeHP
04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I called him this evening and he said he flipped up the hatch to the tank and was able to insert a hose and pumped it out using an electric fuel pump. I reminded him to raise the front of the trailer to make sure everything and all debris was out of the tank and he said he did. The broker he bought the boat from was not sure how old the tank of gas was. When we fired the engine it started to spit and sputter. Hoping it's only a season old he mixed the old gas with a couple of his vehicles. :)

MOP
04-23-2007, 06:16 AM
He should have the carb cleaned, change the fuel filter. It is always good to start fresh, something bad in a fuel system can ruin and engine.

Phil

willie d
04-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know the life time of gas? I just got a 89 Ragazza and it has 1/2 tank of gas, and the last time the boat was on water was 1999. Would you just fill the rest of the tank with fresh gas and run it?