PDA

View Full Version : Still having battery issues, HELP.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I am still having an issue, so I have some non mechanically inclined questions.
Today, boat started, revered her at the dock 1000 RPM, both gauges went to 14., left engine maintained 13, other was strong 14V.
Hung out at the dock, beverage, let them charge and NOTHING on at the marina a 1/2 hour, 1 motor per battery (2-1 the way I read the diagram in the Donzi book.) then, OFF 20 minutes later one engine would not fire up, went BOTH on both swithes, and they both fired. Scared to sit now ashore or docked now.

How can I tell not using a dash gauge if the alternators are charging? I have a V meter. REMEMBER I am mechanically challenged.

At this point, with again a limited season thanks to Fcking Iran I have about 8weeks of boating left.
I am about to just buy two new baterries and call it a day, and alternators.?

Tell me how to check the alternators... I could just take the batteries in for a load check... HELP...

Thanks oh wise ones, I really need your help.

My last post, initial issue is below...
Possibly a mute point...
Bryan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
LAST THREAD

If one of the keys is left in the on position for 45 minutes to an hour, would that drain down both batteries that fast, brand new Ultima Cells, installed last summer.
Ran today about 8 miles, beached, and left a key on while playing with my replaced depth gauge, GPS was also on and stereo and amps, same routine as always, which we leave run for hours without issue.
But, I left the key on, time to go and click...
Shut all power off, and 15 minutes later I had enough juice to start one, and then two. So no harm no foul, gauge shows them charging at 14 while on plane, when they were dead, key on indicated 10 amps.
So was it the key I left on, or do I need to recheck all connections to the batteries etc. This has NEVER happened before.
I would have trouble shot today, but after the boat wash and cover, the called for storm hit...
Thanks, just curious and looking for ideas and as always an education.
Bryan

mrfixxall
04-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Brian,those ultima batterys are vary tempermental..pull the plastic cap off covering the top of the batterys and check the acid level (it may be low)..

Those batterys have to be charged at 10 amps for 4-6 hr then switch your chatger to 1 amp and let them charge for 24 hrs..

Then take a load tester and load test the batterys,if the guage goes under 10.2 volts then scrap them they will never meet your expectations...

just remember the alternators are designed to maintain the charge thats in the batterys, not charge them..If the batterys are nfg they can distroy your alternators..

good luck

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Poodle, thanks for the data, and MrFixAll, I am just pissed, I am always turn key, run.
I will try the test. I will likely just buy two new batteries, others tell me, 9 months of sitting they need more charge.
My issue is, ONE BATTERY/side, rocks and the other doesn't, so in my feable mind it is a battery or one that is not getting a charge,
I will do the test and figure it out next Thursday, I just took the day off.
Thanks again..

A club member today said I have a new Alternantor in the box, 496HO ($375) take it, it's free (I will jump on that, if for nothing else a spare!). He is on his 3rd 496HO Whipple rebuild, the last two were like time bombs, and blew... just FYI, but, our PRO-CHARGE 496 HO crowd is runnning great the last 2 years. We are now over 90 members in the club... FYI

Thanks again, I will certainly keep you all posted.
Bryan Tuvell

MOP
04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Qoute: just remember the alternators are designed to maintain the charge thats in the batterys, not charge them..If the batterys are nfg they can distroy your alternators..

God forbid I leave one of my vehicle sit for a week or two and the battery gets down to 11 volts it will always stay there, interesting concept no charging ability!

mrfixxall
04-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Qoute: just remember the alternators are designed to maintain the charge thats in the batterys, not charge them..If the batterys are nfg they can distroy your alternators..

God forbid I leave one of my vehicle sit for a week or two and the battery gets down to 11 volts it will always stay there, interesting concept no charging ability!

correction 10.2 wasnt paying attension..

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks, I could not find the receipt for the batteries, but by golly I was in their computer, I miss spoke, my memory is bad, they are 14 June 2005, not 2006. 18 month free replacement, 36 month pro-rate... if they are bad. (they went up in price the last 2 years, holy crap!) With prorate and my discount I get 2 new for about $125. Not cheap, but worth the peace of mind.

I took Thursday off, they will both come out and be tested, but while taking them out I will 1 verify the switch settings that each charge their own battery when set to what I thought was correct, 2 and 1, and I will check for any loose wires to hot and ground. I have to get this right, very frustrating, let alone embarrassing.

My new worry is, what if they test GOOD! Oh My Goodness...

Thanks for the data, I will post Thursday evening on my outcome.

Bryan Tuvell

zimm17
04-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Take those batteries to pep boys or similar store to do a load test on the them. The computer puts a strain on and tells you how many cold cranking amps are available. Voltmeter doesn't tell the whole story.

I had a yellow optima crap out in my jeep after a year. My cheapo west marine starting batteries are running strong after two seasons...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
They will be load tested, my BLUE top MARINE Optimas came from Advace Auto, they were SO NICE, I was just going to eat it $$$ and buy two new, then they ask for my phone number when I told them I could not find the receipt, wham, I am in the data base.
Fingers are crossed that they are bad.
Thanks
Bryan

BigGrizzly
04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Bryan, Thoes batteries need big charge numbers and need to be charged often, The 10 charge that was suggested is minimum. Problem is that most chatgers only have that rating except for some big pro units, than 15 amps is the ticket. If it were me and money isn't an issue ,and it isn't in this case, I would go out and buy a couple of normal Marine/RV batteries. Even at Wal-Mart and have done you have 8 weeks left before you ship out. Isn't $120->$140 a cheap price to pay for that. As for being mechanically challenged, How many people do you think really understand how the charging system really works---very few. Poodle has been doing electricity every day- he rents generators and his life revolves around boats. Remember being smart isn't knowing all the answers it is where to get them, which exactually what you did. Now go for a boat ride!!!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-23-2007, 08:26 PM
B-Grizz, I love your posts! Money is always an issue as I put my daughters College (DAD) sticker on my truck (and I do NOT do stickers, this is the one exception).

GREAT DAY on the boat yesterday, crossed the bay to the ocean at 52MPH, small chop, almost smooth and the boat ran flawlessly. Opened her up briefly and saw 71.5 at 4800, went 5200 and as always got 74, consistant with my numbers since ownership.
I love this boat more every time I take her out, she is just a 3800 to 4000RPM boat, most don't get it, at 3500 she is a pig, a few more RPM's and a hair of trim and she glides through whatever you get into with better speeds, less effort, ran with a close friends 31 or 32ft Scaraab yesterday, VERY NICE boat.

I may do that, I will pull them Thursday. I hear ya also on pulling out in two months, I spent today with our Admiral, he is such a motivator and leaves me feeling more proud to serve than I already am.

Take care BGrizz, I will ring you up this weekend.

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Took the batteries into Advance, hooked the first one to the machine, guys swears it can not be bad, low and behold, 55 minutes later the first one came up BAD, second one is now on the machine, I am relieved that it is one of the batteries thus far!

New question, with one battery in the boat, and one switch on 1 and the other to off I have power to both keys, is this correct? You can reverse the switches ie.e otherone off and the other on 1, still both keys have power?
I thought that was why you have a BOTH setting.
-Standing by for more education please.
Thanks again.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
2nd battery bad at testing station also, started smoking at the 45 minute test point.

I left with two new replacement batteries.

I sure would like to know why they went bad, nevr an issue before the 9 months I had her stored while overseas.

Bryan

zimm17
04-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Bryan,

Glad it was bad batteries. I don't like optimas- too many stories of them crapping out. Lots of marketing if you ask me...

You might want to invest in a battery isolator. Both of your alternator feeds go to the isolator, then each battery has a charging wire going to it. The isolator automatically keeps both batteries charged even if one engine is running. It also doesn't matter what position your battery switches are in either. Makes life a lot easier.

Another option is to wire your batteries so you have one staring battery, and one "house keeping" battery for just your cabin/stereo/accessories. Of course if the starting battery dies, you can flip your battery switches around and get the juice from the house battery. With that setup you can use a deep cycle for the house battery which is tolerant of going dead and still taking a charge and recovering. The starting battery can be just that- starting batteries have more cranking amps, are cheaper, but will die a quick death if they are fully drained a few times.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I hear ya on being happy it was the batteries, I can not believe the 2nd one almost caught fire. Even yet at pro-rated it was steep price, the first 18 months are free replacement, p/rated for 36 months. I had these 20 months.

I will have to do some home work on your thoughts for an isolator. I tend to fall back on "I never had an issue before, ever." It is odd though, 2 bad ones? Or was it the long draw of time not being used that caused their death???Plus now I am the proud owner of a 450 or 500amp battery pack owner.

I only have a few weekends left before deployment, and the 1st two weeks of June to enjoy the boat, it will be interesting to see what condition these new batteries are in, after another 9 months.

Again, thanks to all that replied, me and my boy will hopefully be worry free this Saturday!

Bryan Tuvell

MOP
04-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Bryan it is common to ties grounds, but having power tied is wrong! They should be totally independent of each other, yes you should be able to "Jump" them together but not leave them that way. Just for starters there are not to alternator & battery combination that is not slightly different, meaning they will never be exactly alike! That leads to your charging systems "bucking" each other, it is possible that it helped your batteries life to be shortened. You need to do a little investigating!

Phil

BigGrizzly
04-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I have been involved with problems with these type batteries some peope never have issues then others will crap out Batman lost one on his 16 after a year then another on his truck, now he uses regular batteries-cheaper. Me I am old school. If I were to run the Baha off road race i would use them.