PDA

View Full Version : Cock pit cover

Zinger
04-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Hello I need a new cover for my 22 classic , can you tow the boat down the highway without this cover blowing off. Who knows where you can get a new cover. Thanks

MOP
04-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Jeff you need to install glove snaps, the ones that stick up like Phallic symbols along the front. It is also good to tape off the engine vents that face forward, that helps to hold the cover down.

Phil

Zinger
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm wondering is it better to get a full cover or just a cockpit cover ?

gold-n-rod
04-22-2007, 02:10 PM
MOP's right...... use the standard snaps and it will disappear. Don't ask me how I know, but mine was loooong gone before I'd owned my 16 for an hour. :bonk:

undertaker
04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Cockpit covers fly off at highway speeds (trust me I know:) :) ) . What I use to tow is a full cover by www.coverquest.com great fitting cover strap it down real tight and if your anal like me put soft sheets underneath full cover to protect boat..works like a charm....

Shoot Dr. Dan a PM or email him he had a new cockpit cover made with the glove snaps and some other options and his looks very nice, but not sure where he got it done. (His also disappeared after a highway run:) :) :) ).

Undertaker

BUIZILLA
04-22-2007, 03:42 PM
I always tow with a cockpit cover at the very least, or full cover, never had a problem with either.

If they are made right.....

mphatc
04-22-2007, 08:19 PM
MOP,
Thanks for the tip on the glove snaps . .great suggestion.

I can also recommend that any cockpit cover be designed to ventilate. My Corsican came with a cover made by Bilt Rite of the same material as the seat upholstery. It sheds water well, but also traps moisture and the whole interior of the boat gets moldy . . .

What I don't understand is that the Bilt Rite upholstery material never gets mold on it?? Everything else does, gelcoat, bottom of cover, inside of windshield . etc..

Mario L.

TBroccoli
04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Why don't boat covers steal the idea from jet ski covers. Jet ski covers have a vent system that makes the cover hug the ski.

Why is a cover needed while towing? I've always been told to tow without the cover. It will last a lot longer.

Tom

BigGrizzly
04-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Threr are other snaps that can be used. There is a normal looking snap with a sligh barb that is directional and must be installed in a certain direction. On my Criterion only 2 back snaps that phil suggested are used the front are normal snaps and never have let go. I am going to make a cockpit cover when I get my new windshield. BTW how is that going Mario?

undertaker
04-26-2007, 09:05 PM
:cool:
Why don't boat covers steal the idea from jet ski covers. Jet ski covers have a vent system that makes the cover hug the ski.
Why is a cover needed while towing? I've always been told to tow without the cover. It will last a lot longer.
Tom

TBroccoli, on the longer tows (Sarasota, FL, Lake Winni, NH etc.) it is nice to tow with a full cover IMO keeps the road grime off of the boat as much as possible, boat need less detailing when you get to an event:) :) . On the shorter tows (Northeast River, MD, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA) I usually tow without any covers. Hope to see ya on the bay ths summer.

Undertaker

royalbcat
04-26-2007, 11:43 PM
I have a brand new Bilt Rite cover that I was going to list in the classifieds since I sold the '92. It's still in the box from Bob w/all the hardware. Sunbrella material: white w/red main stripe/black pinstripe If this is your color scheme, shoot me an email:

royalbcat@aim.com

Donzigo
04-27-2007, 07:52 AM
The Sunbrella material unlike many others, breathes. That's why you wash the boat and cover it without worrying about mold.

I've always thought that towing without covers is the way to go. Doesn't it burn and wear on your fiberglass on the edges with a cover.

...............just got an idea, since there are so many covers laying around on the road from boats, why not just collect them and sell them on ebay? You only have to spend $80,000 on fuel to get around on all the interstates, not to mention by going slow on the sides of the raods, it would take 9 years. But, you'd have some nice free covers.