PDA

View Full Version : Were 22 Classic's ever a race-bred craft?

sub-bass
04-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi, I'd like to get a little more knowledge regarding the pedirgee of my 22 Classic. I read this forum pretty much daily and have really enjoyed the comments and discussion on it.
Owning a Donzi of any sort in Australia is like turning up at a BBQ with fresh case of beer 3 hours late, everyone looks at you a little strange at first but then you're very welcome of course..
I'd really like to know if they were ever a race class or race-bred boat for offshore or enclosed waters? Who designed the original (Don Aranow?) How is the design, architecture or style different today? Any other info regarding pedigree would be welcome, I get asked alot of questions about this boat but actually just know that I love it, drive it almost daily and know a little bit about Donzi in general.

Many thanks

GN

Barry Eller
04-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Go to the Donzi Marine web site; www.donzimarine.com
All Donzi history is found there.

22 Classics were not raced by Don Aronow,they came out much later.
They are only raced by people who own them.
I like racing Bahas. (Baja misspelled on purpose).
Good Day Mate!
Barry, from Gulf Breeze, Florida, USA

Rodger
04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
The original "Classic 22" was introduced in 1978 and is called a F22. It was designed by Walt Walters. Don Aronow did not still own Donzi Marine at this time.

MOP
04-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Dug this link up for you!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39653&highlight=22+classic+race+boat

Phil

sub-bass
04-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks to MOP and all other replies.
I'm so surprised they don't race the 22 Classics, I'd imagine they have the strength and potentialto be a very competitave boat.. Would it's length be the most limiting factor? We get big swell here and have a very bumpy harbour for most of the summer after about 10am when the Nor' Easter (sea-breeze) or Freemantle Doctor (In Western Australia) comes up, in my boat I fare far better than most in pushing through the chop.
Is the hull in the '96 boat considered a strong version of the model??

Ta

GN

BERTRAM BOY
04-22-2007, 09:36 PM
The original "Classic 22" was introduced in 1978 and is called a F22. It was designed by Walt Walters. Don Aronow did not still own Donzi Marine at this time.

The first F-22 didn't get built until 1979. The first Criterion was built in early 1978.

Rodger
04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
The first F-22 didn't get built until 1979. The first Criterion was built in early 1978.

I have a '78' F22 and I have known of my particular boat since it was new in 1978. The serial number also shows it as a '78'. The info on this site referring to Donzi history is incorrect on the F22's origination. Last time I spoke with someone from Donzi, was a number of years ago shortly after they moved out of the North Miami Beach location. They didn't even know when the F22 originated. They claimed the records were not moved to the new location. They did however have an employee that had been working there at the North Miami Beach location and he did remember the introduction of the F22 in 78. I called Donzi for other info and we just happened to get into a history discussion.

BERTRAM BOY
04-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Rodger,
All the research I've done points to F22's not showing up until '79.

What is your hull number?

Sweet little 16
04-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks to MOP and all other replies.
I'm so surprised they don't race the 22 Classics, I'd imagine they have the strength and potentialto be a very competitave boat.. Would it's length be the most limiting factor? We get big swell here and have a very bumpy harbour for most of the summer after about 10am when the Nor' Easter (sea-breeze) or Freemantle Doctor (In Western Australia) comes up, in my boat I fare far better than most in pushing through the chop.
Is the hull in the '96 boat considered a strong version of the model??
Ta
GN

there is one reason they don't race 22 classics and that reason is called the 21 superboat legend/challenger 21

http://www.superboatonline.com/21.html

Carl C
04-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't think the 22C would be competitive with more modern and faster stepped hulls. However the deep vee, round bottom and lack of a pad give the Classics unique characteristics that makes them a blast to drive.

Rodger
04-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Bertram,
I started watching this very boat that I own, drive around the lake I am on in May of 1978. Nine years later I bought it. Like I mentioned before, it's very likely that Donzi has no idea of what they are talking about if that is where you obtained the info. When I used to talk to the factory (quite a long time ago) they were either very ignorant about what they did during the sixties and seventies or they just didn't want to talk to me. I also have (somewhere) Donzi adds that I obtained in 1978 showing the F22. The adds were given to me by the person I bought my 1966 16' from in 1978. He had visited the factory that year (1978) and obtained the Donzi literature.

BUIZILLA
04-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Rodger, I don't think BB is trying to argue with you, he's just asking for your hull ID number.... You can PM me that tidbit if you choose not to publicly post it.... I do believe there is a certain black Critter that was built previous to your F22, so that's why he is asking. It would also help us with the F22 full cockpit, raised rear deck origination mystery, and possible permutations thereof ... :wink: :crossfing: you might be VERY surprised with the research data stream.

JH

BERTRAM BOY
04-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Rodger,
I didn't get my info from anyone at Donzi. It's information that I and other's have been gathering and compiling in spread sheet form.

We know that this http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46718&highlight=criterion is the first 22, and it was built in February of 1978.

What doesn't make any sense to me, is your HIN. It says your boat was the 601st 22 built, and that it was built in November of 1978. Being an F22, your boat has to be built within the first 30.

Also, is it possible you first saw the boat in May 1979?

Your hull number isn't consistant with others of the period. Also, just about every F22 hull number I have seen has an "F" suffix.

Sweet little 16
04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
I don't think the 22C would be competitive with more modern and faster stepped hulls. However the deep vee, round bottom and lack of a pad give the Classics unique characteristics that makes them a blast to drive.
actually the 21 challenger hull is the same age or little older than the 22 F/criterion/classic hull

BERTRAM BOY
04-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Didn't the Challenger come out around 1976?

Sweet little 16
04-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Didn't the Challenger come out around 1976? not sure on 1976 I have never seen one but my boyfriend at the time had a 1977 wonder if the racing success of this hull made Donzi stretch the 18 hull??

Carl C
04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't think the 22C would be competitive with more modern and faster stepped hulls. However the deep vee, round bottom and lack of a pad give the Classics unique characteristics that makes them a blast to drive. Just wanted to clarify that my 2 cents was in response to post #5 about racing the 22C in modern times.

Rodger
04-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to argue. I think it's interesting to see the varying information we get. I'm just presenting the info I have. I never mentioned the Criterion because I don't know which one was made first. I did mention the F22 as the first but I'm really refering to the hull which is the same for both boats. The year I observed was 78 because as I mentioned it was the same year I bought my 16' which I remember clearly. I wasn't aware that it is typical to have a F suffix in the HIN but mine doesn't. I still think Donzi was somewhat inconsistant back then which may be the best way to explain this variance in information.

BERTRAM BOY
04-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Rodger,
Could you either post or PM your hull number? I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I just want to make sure. I'm trying to fill in some gaps.

The hull number I have for you just does not make any sense to me. It's not consistant with other hull numbers that where built around the same time.

Thanks

Rodger
04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
I believe you already found the correct # but here it is: DNR226011178

BERTRAM BOY
04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
That's the one I have. Are you sure it says DNR, and not DMR? Also was your boat originally white and blue or has it been painted?

The numbers 22 and 1178 make sense, but 601 doesn't seem to fit.

Do you know the original engine or outdrive number? That would help.

Thanks

Rodger
04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Boats not painted, it's the original gel. What looks like white is really a very, very light green/blue. It still has the original block and drive but the boat is 100 miles away at the lake. I can't get those numbers for at least a few weeks...sorry.