PDA

View Full Version : Modifications for a 350 Magnum

wolfgang1
04-21-2007, 12:23 PM
I have a 88 Z21 with a three year old new replacement 350 Magnum. It is carborated. The original was 270 horse. I'm not sure if this is the same. I was wondering if any simple modifications can be done to increase performance of the engine. It runs great and I don't want to do anything that would change the depenability of it. The boat is running about 55 + mph right now.

Any sugguestions or should I leave alone.

Thanks

Joe

MOP
04-21-2007, 03:58 PM
THere is very little you can do without tearing into it, a decent cam and exhaust would perk it up a fair bit and keep it reliable. Is it worth it that depends!

Phil

mrfixxall
04-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a 88 Z21 with a three year old new replacement 350 Magnum. It is carborated. The original was 270 horse. I'm not sure if this is the same. I was wondering if any simple modifications can be done to increase performance of the engine. It runs great and I don't want to do anything that would change the depenability of it. The boat is running about 55 + mph right now.
Any sugguestions or should I leave alone.
Thanks
Joe

your best bet is to leave the engine in the boat and use it for now...Find your self a sbc and make it into a 383 which are still reliable and have alot more torque then your mag engine that you have in the boat now..also you wont be down any boating time this way,,when your ready swap engines and set your old one aside so when you sell your boat in the future you have the old engine you can put back in and wont loose all the $$ that you invested..

Cuda
04-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Maybe switch to an aftermarket aluminum exhaust. It should flow better, plus the weight savings should give you some help, and then if you decide to switch engines, the exhaust will still work. I had a set of EMI's on my Minx that sounded great. I don't know how much improvement in performance it gave, since I bought the boat sans engine.