PDA

View Full Version : 1990 30' black widow any info? just bought!

Bruce LaChance
04-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi,
I'm a new Donzi owner. I just purchased a '90 30' w/twin 454's and bravo 1s.
I am told it never was used in salt but I see electrolosis on the drives. I plan on getting out my dremel tool and clean it up. Is a good primer for the aluminum Chromate then the Mercruiser black topcoat? I think maybe the zincs are causing the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bruce

Donzigo
04-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the board...........You've probably got a boat with an engine change.

I think it originally came with the OMC Cobra package.

How about a picture, then we can give a better response.

ThunderMarineDave
04-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I figure I should know the answer to this, but I'm still investigating.

The Black Widows (mostly?) came with OMC drives, but they use the OMC package that has the same transom cutout as Bravo. When I first started to the engine swap on mine (25 Black Widow, 460 King Cobra to 496 B1), several people told me I would need an adapter plate (or to recut the transom), but when I put the B1 jig up to the hole it fit perfectly.

Several people have told me that Donzi offered the boat with either Merc or OMC (although that doesn't make sense since Donzi Black Widows are an OMC built product...)

Comments or corrections welcome.

-David
THUNDER MARINE

Donzigo
04-21-2007, 07:10 PM
David, Some of the last boats out the door, when OMC took over in 1989 had merc packages, simply because they were already in the warehouse. My boat was one of those. OMC bought Donzi in June, my boat came out in August. The first thing that OMC did was swap the Chris Craft & Donzi factory location and the people kinda merged in either location, depending on their jobs. So, I always say that my boat was produced by OMC, in a Chris Craft factory using Donzi/Chris Craft people who installed Mercruiser engines & outdrives.

The Black Widows were in the back yard with the Z-boats. I went there and saw them myself. In fact, OMC had a fire sale of all boats that were not spoken for by dealers. I just went there and drooled.

Bruce LaChance
04-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the board...........You've probably got a boat with an engine change.

Thanks for the reply Donzigo. I bought the boat last week off of yachtworld.com. You can probably still see the listing, they were asking 29.9K. I paid 22K. (1st Nightmare) I'm on a ship in the Persian Gulf and won't get home for another week or so. So I haven't seen the boat yet myself. I was under the impression everything is original... When I asked for additional outdrive pictures from the broker it showed oxidation. I asked him if it was salt water corrosion, he insists the boat was never in salt water and that the boat has always been in Lake Michigan. He quoted me a price on repainting it for $1700. I figure I'll just do it myself, but want to know what caused it. Apparently something is possibly not grounding correctly or the zincs are overactive, I really don't know. The bottom has never been painted.

Bruce LaChance
04-22-2007, 06:10 PM
I can't seem to get the pics to take. Must have a bad connection out here.

RKDN Sun
08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I recently purchased my second Donzi, a 1990 24 ft. Black Widow. I also have a 1979 16 ft Ski Sporter which I have had for over 20 years and wanted a bigger Donzi.
(This is also my first question on the registry so I do not know what I am doing)
Black Widow question: Will the hump on the Black Widow bow support weight? To be safe I have been telling my sons not to walk on it.

Cuda
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Congratulations on the purchase. I always thought the styling of the BW's were way ahead of their time, just cool looking boats. As far as the electrolisis, it could have very well happened in fresh water at a marina, from stray electrical current from other boats in the marina.

What are you doing in the Persian Gulf?

joel3078
08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
I have a 24' black widow. The hump will support weight (I am about 290 lbs) when in the water. The deck is slippery after waxing so watch it. Also there is no good real safe way of getting out of the cockpit and onto the deck. Climb over the windshield off to the side and scoot onto the deck. Again watch it! I always felt being on the deck when in the water is just a slip fall splash waiting to happen. I don't do it anymore.

gold-n-rod
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I recently purchased my second Donzi, a 1990 24 ft. Black Widow. I also have a 1979 16 ft Ski Sporter which I have had for over 20 years and wanted a bigger Donzi.
(This is also my first question on the registry so I do not know what I am doing)
Black Widow question: Will the hump on the Black Widow bow support weight? To be safe I have been telling my sons not to walk on it.

I see you are in Arcadia. Welcome to northern MI. I am up the lake at Frankfort. In fact, I had to be towed into Arcadia last month due to a blown outdrive. Bummer.

But, that's behind me. I love to occasionally make the Manistee trip and try to run thru Arcadia when I'm in the area.

Enjoy your new Donzi!

Donzigo
08-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Bruce, you may not like me after I say this; but, when you buy a new vessel, particularly one of such old vintage, you should really take the engines out and do a refurbishing from the beginning. Why? If you don't know what you have, then you can't possibly have the confidence you will need when encountering rough waters. If you are boating casually on a Sunday afternoon in a protected lake, then it doesn't matter; but, if you are going on the high seas, you'll need that confidence. The only way to do it is to inspect the starter, alternator, transmision cooler, outdrive gimbol housing, exhaust manifolds, oil pan bolts, not to mention the fuel tank corrosion and so much more. Do what it takesto give you the peace of mind that the engine is 100%. To your question, if the transom has corrosion, it means water or electrolysis. You will be surprised and shocked when you start looking into it.

"The sea is no place for the innocent"

RKDN Sun
08-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Joel 3078 -
Thanks for the feedback on the Black Widow deck. I really like the boat, its nice having some room after so many years with the 16 ft ski sporter. My 18 year old is driving the 16 footer, I wish the Black Widow could keep up with him.
The previous owner had two props a 14.25 x 20 and a 14.25 x 25. The 20 red lines too soon and the 25 is slow out of the hole. I have ordered a 14.25 x 23.

RKDN Sun
08-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Gold-N-Rod
I currently live and work in Iowa City but I was born in Frankfort, MI and have a house in Arcadia. My Uncle built and ran the marina in Arcadia, my grandfarther was the Harbor Master and I spent my summer pumping gas at the marina (35 years ago). When I retire Arcadia will be home again.
We usually make it back for Arcadia days at the end of July. Our usually trip is from Arcadia to Frankfort for dinner and drinks at Dinghy's. I love going by much larger boats in a 16 foot Donzi when they can not take the waves.

We have not had the Black Widow to Michigan to go on Lake Michigan yet but I can't wait!

Trueser
08-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Bruce,
Where is the boat located? Did you have it surveyed?
The electrolosis can happen in freshwater also. If the gimbals are real bad I would want to inspect the transom real close.

I agree with Donzigo with going over the whole boat.

Good luck and welcome to the madness

Come home safe...