PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra Shifting Problem

Bvinc
04-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Lower unit was removed to repait skeg on lower unit. Unit was shifting fine. (Unit was completely rebuilt in 2005 by repair shop after prevoius owner hit log. Repair bill to insurance company was $9900.00 )
Just got boat back & tried this eeked. After running across lake & stopping @ dock hard slight trouble in gettin out of forward gear. Upon starting again was running about 35 mph & trim gauge went all the way to full up position while running but outdrive was stiil down. The stopped at dock & had more trouble comming out of forward. This time it felt like it was not going into reverse, but as I gave it a lot of throttle the lower unit kicked up completely out of water with prop running. It didn't latch down. Boat idles at 750-800

HELP PLEASE Is this a cable problem? (No disttributor electronic iginition.)

Any help. I took it to Victory Marine (Scott) & they did any excellant job on installing the silent chioce exhaust. The boat sounds awesome & has a pretty aggressive cam. I talked to mechanic & he is not very familiar at all with the King Cobra's

MOP
04-16-2007, 11:37 AM
THe trim gauge going to full up is usualy a bad sender or sender wire, normaly KC's have no shift issues they are almost carbon copy inside of the Volvo. I will have to speak with my old service manager to see if he can shed some light.

Phil

Barry Eller
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
It could be the shift interupter causing the hard shift. Open the thread below.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48142

FISHIN SUCKS
04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Call me crazy, but just in case someone forgot to grease the linkage behind the cover plate, this makes a huge difference between hard shift and easy shift. Never had my outdrive pop up like described so this may be more involved than just grease.

Bvinc
04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Does the sending or limit switch tell the unit to lock in place so it won't kick up when in reverse?

When I shifted into reverse it did not make a sound or feel like it was in reverse. It did not feel like it was in reverse so I gave it more throttler & it kicked up so far it blew water over the whole back hatch.

I had shifted into reverse several other times an early & it worked just fine.

Any recommendations on info I could send over to Victory Marine's mech about the King Cobra Outdrive.

Thanks

Bobby

MOP
04-16-2007, 07:27 PM
The shift problem is Like Barry's said should be in the in the interrupter it should be pulsing the ignition to help the shift. The gauge going up all by its self should be in the in the wires between the transom shield and the gimble. The drive kicking up in reverse needs some ideas of what and when! Does it trim and tilt up Ok ? If so the problem in the trim pumps valve body, all it takes is a small fleck of dirt to stick one of the check valves. It is a fairly simple unit to disassemble and clean, a decent Oring kit will get you through. If the mech is half way savy he can get through they are all very similar.

Phil

Bvinc
04-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'll try shifting again this weekend out of the water to see what is going on. It just seemed strange that the trim gauge weirded out at the same time the outdrive started messed up.

Thanks again

Bobby

Barry Eller
04-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Shifting out of the water won't have the load on the gears to tell you if your shift interrupter is functioning. It will shift easy out of the water.

Do you think you inadvertently trimmed the outdrive up when docking and applied throttle? King Cobras Don't "lock" in place. Hydraulic pressure in the trim cylinders control the position of the outdrive.

Trim gauges on the dash are controlled by the "Sending" unit mounted on the starboard side of the outdrive. They will go bad and need replacing from time to time.

Also check the trim switch in the handle, I had one short out once. The trim would keep "trimming" up by itself.

Bvinc
04-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I'll try the trim out water making sure everything is working & then in water to see if I can tell what's going on. I can take it back to shop, it just that it about 75 miles away & I want to make sure it not something simple.

Thanks for the info