PDA

View Full Version : Wood deck inlay....Magnum 27 Sport

superhatz
04-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I've asked on other forums but I thought I'd ask here too.....

I want to add the wood deck inlay on my 27 Sport and was wondering what type of wood might work well. I'm thinking of teak or mahogany......

....how would I treat it and besides the screws on the perimeter.....what "glue" should I use to attach it?

Thanks.....here's a couple shots of what I'm talking about.

Craig S
04-16-2007, 08:44 AM
You probably would want to use teak, because mahogany would have to be finished...varnished or something similar.

5200 would work as a bonding agent. Might need to use Smith's penetrating epoxy to stabilize the teak...dunno. Then, you'd only need the screws to clamp the veneer until the 5200 sets up. Worked for my new deck. And no bungs. But what do I know.

smoothie
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
It looks like they used teak on the Mag in the pic...Both are good for marine use...just depends on the look that you are after...teak is a plain tight looking grain where as mahogany if you get ribbon cut will have a wild open grain to it...also with mahogany you can get different species which have lighter or darker colors...see attached...the dark is africian and the lighter redder is phillipino that I bleached and stained...if you use screws I dont think you will need glue...if you dont use screws...glue will hold it...just put something heavy on it till she dries...I would start will a cheap pc of 1/4 plywood first and cut it out to see how it lays...then use as a pattern for the keeper...I used Detco Crystal for my varnish...BTW nice looking Magnum...
plywood link:http://www.marine-plywood.us/
varnish:http://detcomarine.com/dcrystal.htm
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28248&d=1176296981

McGary911
04-22-2007, 04:10 PM
I'd really consider screwing it from the underside, using some big washers. If you go with the 5200, and decide to remove it one day, you'll need an air chisel, which can get a touch messy, I'd think......

ghiafreak62
04-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Shame on you and your 5200!!

superhatz
04-29-2007, 12:56 AM
So.....I think I'm going to use a piece of Ribbon Mahagony. It has the look I'm after.....

Can I stain this a little darker?

Also.....I want to treat it but I'd rather have a matte finish.....not too glossy.......what would I use?

Thanks.

thriller
04-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I'd just oil it or Sikens makes nice stain and oils/varnish too. my2cents

Craig S
04-30-2007, 08:42 AM
If you are using Smith's Penetrating Epoxy...you have to do that after the stain. You might also coat the bottom and edges, too. Jmho.

smoothie
05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
You may want to rub some mineral spirits on first to check the color because it turns dark in a hurry,attached is one coat of varnish,"pretty" dark...you can use a roller for the textured finish..again practice on a scrap pc...:crossfing:

superhatz
05-02-2007, 01:57 AM
So.....that's no stain......only varnish?

That's about what I'm looking for.

Thanks much!

smoothie
05-02-2007, 06:09 AM
yep! thats the all natural color...no stain:yes: