PDA

View Full Version : Started the intake/carb swap today

Cuda
04-15-2007, 03:49 PM
It only took about an hour to get the old intak/carb off. All I can say is wow! I can't believe this is a 25 year old engine.:)

I guess this answers the question whether it's large oval heads or not. :wink: :cool:

Cuda
04-15-2007, 03:57 PM
I just weighed both intakes. The cast iron pancake intake weighs 48 pounds, and the aluminum Edelbrock is 19 pounds.:cool:

mrfixxall
04-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Cuda,if your replacing the intake with a regular performer your gonna need one of thease...if your using a airgap then ignor this message..
good luck.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR%2D25100&autoview=sku

Cuda
04-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Cuda,if your replacing the intake with a regular performer your gonna need one of thease...if your using a airgap then ignor this message..
good luck.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR%2D25100&autoview=sku
I might have something like that out in my pile of HP 500 parts. Do you know if they are necessary with the Dart intake?

Cuda
04-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure if I answered my own question or not.
First pic is of the bottom of the stock intake.
Second is the Performer
Third is a Dart from an HP 500
Fourth is what looks to do the same thing as that part from Summit.

I didn't try, but I think I can just pry the one off the HP longblock. The unit from Summit looks like you have to run the pushrods through it.

mrfixxall
04-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure if I answered my own question or not.
First pic is of the bottom of the stock intake.
Second is the Performer
Third is a Dart from an HP 500
Fourth is what looks to do the same thing as that part from Summit.
I didn't try, but I think I can just pry the one off the HP longblock. The unit from Summit looks like you have to run the pushrods through it.

just pop it out of the hp500,,it should work..Just make sure the push rods dont rub on it(it will sound like a rod knock)..i use that baffel on all my engines no matter which intake i use..it just keeps the oil off the bottom of the intake...one time 20 yrs os so ago a friend had a bayliner with a 2bbl on it and i put a edlbroch alunimum manifold and carb on his boat and it ran great until it got warm, he lost 1200 rpm so i took off the intake and installed the shield and he picked up 200 rpm because he wasnt baking the fuel in the lower runners...trust me they work..o BTW seal all the intake bolts with sealer,some go into water ports and others go into oil ports..

good luck

Cuda
04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks, I hear that the one on the HP is a stock Chebby part.

BUIZILLA
04-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Cuda....

GM part # 12555320 is for the intake oil splash pan for a BBC engine

:cool:

Cuda
04-18-2007, 06:19 PM
I've been wondering if the manifold and carb would clear the hatch, so I just set them in place today for a dry run. I'm pretty sure they won't fit, at least not with the stock HP flame arrestor. The top of the risers is absolutely as high as it can be to clear the hatch where they are located. Granted, the hatch bows up a little between the risers, but I don't think it will be enough.

I also sat the Q jet on the intake to see if the fuel line would reach......it won't.

This isn't the carb I'm putting on (the green primered one) but I have one just like it to put on.

I'll get Debbie to help me lower the hatch down and see, but I don't think so. I think it will fit with a lower flame arrestor.

BUIZILLA
04-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Joe is that a rect port intake your putting on an oval port head?? or did you just paint it 500 blue?

Cuda
04-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Joe is that a rect port intake your putting on an oval port head?? or did you just paint it 500 blue?
No, it's a Performer "O" intake I painted HP Blue myself. Perfect color match.

catch 22
04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
No, it's a Performer "O" intake I painted HP Blue myself. Perfect color match.
:boggled: :wink: :) :) :) :) :)

Cuda
04-18-2007, 07:53 PM
:boggled: :wink: :) :) :) :) :)
I saw you had posted on this thread, and I was looking for the Ford Blue comment.:biggrin.:

I have to admit my first attempt was closer to Ford Blue, but like I told his dad, I couldn't find a 460 to put it on.:bonk:

Cuda
04-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Wire brushed, primed and painted the bolts for the intake. I pirated the splash guard from the HP for use on the 454. The lifter valley in the HP looks damn good too.

Cuda
04-22-2007, 05:45 PM
I definetly have clearance issues. The HP flame arrestor won't fit. It just barely hits on the hatch, if I don't have the bolt sticking up through it. I can actually push it down, and get the hatch to lock. I guess I'll have to find a 3 inch flame arrestor.

I took the one picture with me in the bilge and the hatch closed.

smokediver
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
my hatch is about an inch thick in the middle ... anyway , i didnt have clearance after the rpm air gap manifold and 3 inch k&n ... so i took a grinder and thinned the glass a little bit around the flame arrestor ... fits fine now .. just giving you an idea if there is enough there to grind ...

Cuda
04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
my hatch is about an inch thick in the middle ... anyway , i didnt have clearance after the rpm air gap manifold and 3 inch k&n ... so i took a grinder and thinned the glass a little bit around the flame arrestor ... fits fine now .. just giving you an idea if there is enough there to grind ...
That has crossed my mind. They reinforced my hatch when they took out the hole that was there for the scoop that was on it.

Taking some off the bottom of the HP arrestor has crossed it too, but then if it doesn't work, the HP arrestor is junk.

Cuda
04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Here's what I'd like to put on it. It's three inches high, but the $299 price tag is making me look at other options.

zimm17
04-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm running a Gaffrig 2" with an Edelbrock performer rpm airgap and I have about 1/8" clearance on the hatch...

http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Products/arrestors.cfm?theSubCategory=1

Cuda
04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Will RTV black work for a sealant, and should I use it on the whole gasket, or just around the water passages?

Cuda
04-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Okay, which side of the gasket goes against the heads, the side with the rubber around the ports, or the other way around?

Also, is this the proper way to install the exhaust crossover restrictors?

I think the last engine I put an intake on had it printed on the gasket which side went where, but that was an sbc. These are Felpro 1212 gaskets.

mrfixxall
04-27-2007, 02:27 PM
The blue rings twards the intake (facing up) only silicone around the water ports,,a thin coat....i prefer ultra black or the rite stuff...When you lay a bead across the front and the back of the intake continue the bead up the head then lay the intake gasgets on the heads and smear a little more in the corners...

Also block off the center ports where the ehhaust comes out of the heads,,,their not needed....those exhaust ports are for a egr valve or a exhaust operated choke....if you boluc them off your intake charge will be cooler which will = more hp!!completely block them off........install them after you set the gasgets in place..

BUIZILLA
04-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Okay, which side of the gasket goes against the heads, the side with the rubber around the ports, or the other way around? print towards the intake side

Also, is this the proper way to install the exhaust crossover restrictors? install those on whatever side the hole is smallest in either the head or the intake

Cuda
04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I found the gaskets are what my dad refers to as "sailor proof", in other words, they only fit in one direction. They don't have the crossover block offs, just restrictors, which probably doesn't mean much on a marine engine. Should I just leave them off?

MOP
04-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Good question, you have the heat tray to keep it cool. Maybe leave the ports open but restricted or it may take awhile for it to heat up and run nice at low speed. I feel the carb needs some heat to run properly, what are the thoughts of others?

mrfixxall
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
what mop said is true,,,cuda you being in the heat the card shouldnt need heat going throuthh the bottom og the intake.. with the carb being under a hatch theirs enough heat that builds up their and the warm intake charge with the hot air will warm the carb up a bit....BLOCK THEM OFf you wont regret it later trust me.. it will kinda act like a rpm air gap....they have those ports blocked off..

Cuda
04-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I have a sheet of thin stainless steel that I can cut pieces off to block it, but would the intake still seal if I put it on? If I do put on block offs, which side of the gasket should I put them on? A guy on another site said he cuts them out of beer cans. :)

mrfixxall
04-27-2007, 06:36 PM
cuda a standard car set of felpro intake gasgets have a restrictor or block off in the box you can but the set rob them out of the box and return them:wink: 20 guage of the stainless or alunimum will work..just make sure it fits inside onf the gasget hole..p.s. i think va beercan is to thin..

Cuda
04-29-2007, 09:42 PM
I got the intake installed this evening. If I have time, I'll do the fuel line tomorrow. It won't be any fun itself. :(

I still don't know which carb to use, the Holley, or the Q jet. I still have to order a throttle bracket for the Holley. I'll set up the fuel plumbing so I can use it with either carb.

Catch 22 called while I was tightening it up, he thought I was bs'ing him. :)

Cuda
04-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Yes, they would. What's the diameter of them?

mrfixxall
04-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, they would. What's the diameter of them?

Cuda,is tthe hp 500 air cleaner come apart? if not you can warm up the bottom of the flame arrestor with a propane torch and that will soften up the epoxy thats holding it together then it will pull apart..then if you have a cutoff wheel (you can get one for your grinder 4" x 1/6'' at home depot) and mark it with a marker or a piece of tape and cut the ss filter materal to the size you need.. then get some epoxy and glue it back together...

Cuda
05-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Getting closer. I finally got the fuel line put together and in the boat. I put the distributor and coil in tonght. At least this time I didn't put the distributor in 180 degrees off. Last time, when I did that, I just switch the plug wires around 180 degrees. :)

Now, I've got to figure the linkage swap from the q jet to the Holley, or maybe I'll just stick another Q jet on until I get the parts I need. I have two Holleys, and two Q jets sitting on the kitchen counter. :eek!:

If I get time, and go with the Q jet, I could have it running tomorrow most likely, so that probably means another month. :(

What did the monkey say when he got his tail cut off??

It won't be long now!:tongue: