PDA

View Full Version : XS steering install thread

zimm17
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I just got done mounting the rams and hoses. Nothing on the inside yet. It was pretty easy to measure up. The mounts are right on the centerline of the input shaft. They look a little low because the drive is trimmed up.
It went together fairly well. One sleeve needed some 24oz. hammer "persuasion" to go in. Also one of the stainless bolts seized up while the nut was still 1/2" from pulling up tight. Must have been defective. Quick run to west marine and fixed that problem.

farmer tx
04-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Zimm,What is the third bolt on the rear of the wingplate for?

farmer tx
04-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Here is what I did to kill time yesterday, also an XS system except TRS drive. Lost a little in turning radius but that is to be expected.

Mark

BUIZILLA
04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
what is the purpose of the cavitation plate extension??

p729lws
04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Lost a little in turning radius but that is to be expected.
Mark

Why is a loss of turning radius to be expected? Is it a TRS issue?

I do like the look of the XS systems! :yes:

Dan

roadtrip se
04-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Here is what I did to kill time yesterday, also an XS system except TRS drive. Lost a little in turning radius but that is to be expected.
Mark

Why did I think we were talking about the red boat and a completely different steering system when you called with the measuring questions the other day?

Confused as hell, but nothing unusual these days...

p729lws
04-12-2007, 10:57 PM

Look's like it's for the shorty drive. Hey Greg, what's with the painted shorty?

Dan

roadtrip se
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Look's like it's for the shorty drive. Hey Greg, what's with the painted shorty?
Dan

The shortie mods are on the lower and the cav plate extension. The upper doesn't change. Actually the tie bar extension will be nice when somebody steps on it to climb back in the boat from a swim...

Imco does offer a painted option, but it's pretty rare. Kind of wish I had it as the raw metal is a pain to take care of.

cigarette30
04-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Guess I will throw in my question. Is the XS the same company that is doing the factory Shelby now. Would you mind mentioning the cost. BTW, looks great!

Thanks

roadtrip se
04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
The lower on a stock bravo has a built in cav plate. See below. It goes away when you bolt up the shorty, so the bolt on has to be added to compensate.

In addition, it is a wear item. Ask me how I know this...

farmer tx
04-13-2007, 02:29 AM
RTSE we were talking about the red one (chick boat)(beer wagon). This is the one that was MIA for 21 mo.:bonk: This one was here so I thought I would practice. The other is in transit. I may be slow but I only make a mistake once.:toiletpap

The confusion probably stems from flex fuel trama.

zimm17
04-13-2007, 05:46 AM
XS sent me the bracket for a dual system with a tie bar. I like it though. Looks like it makes it stronger, plus for long trailering I can hook a tie down strap to it. I don't think I'd want to hook a ski rope to it though.

The shortie has the $200 optional black powdercoat. It matches the drive perfectly. I bought it used so I didn't have a choice. It's drilled for a single hose drive shower, don't know if I want to add one or not. The Simrek website shows pictures of them not moving any water with the drive trimmed up.

I'm still waiting for the plate from XS to mount the helm into the huge hole the telefex helm left. I'm going to run the plumbing today and tomorrow.

Brian's price is $2800 for Donzi board people. Nice quality stuff, just expect to wait a while for it to show up and not have all the pieces. The res went to the wrong address, still waiting on that. Who knows how long the helm plate will take.

As for the Shelby, I think Zeiger makes that kit. I don't think it had braided stainless lines, but I could be wrong.

CHACHI
04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Guess I will throw in my question. Is the XS the same company that is doing the factory Shelby now. Would you mind mentioning the cost. BTW, looks great!
ThanksFactory Shelby is using Zeiger Performance Marine/Everett Performance.
If you are interested, contact Paul Everett 877-621-7770.
I am looking at his system for my 22.
Ken

yeller
04-14-2007, 12:06 AM
$2800 for a full dual ram system. :eek!: That's a hell of a deal! I believe I paid $3300 for my WPM a year ago and now it's up to $4000.

zimm17
04-14-2007, 04:53 AM
$2800 for a full dual ram system. :eek!: That's a hell of a deal! I believe I paid $3300 for my WPM a year ago and now it's up to $4000.

:yes: Yes it is. That's why I don't mind waiting for a few extra parts. Especially if it saves a thousand bucks.

zimm17
04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Finally got the plate to cover up the huge hole from the teleflex steering from Brian.

I got the helm mounted and all the lines run. Now I need to bleed the system, and cushion clamp all the hoses throughout the boat.