PDA

View Full Version : new exhaust for a 350 chevy?

lee
04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
a buddy talked me into buying logs for my 350 chevy and says all i have to do is install but doesnt make sense to me. so risers are no longer needed ? he says all i need is a set of gaskets and i can take all the extra weight out. but won't changes in exhaust pressure change how my engine runs?

MOP
04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Would be a good idea to find risers, flaps may get you by but no risers even though the pipes are above water level is risky!

EDIT!! I just noticed you are running a Y pipe that is even riskier!!

BigGrizzly
04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
No risers means trouble. logs are not going to give you anything.

lee
06-16-2007, 11:58 PM
can i ask why i dont understand i dont plan on running over idle in reverse but i'm no mechanic should i just resell the logs

f_inscreenname
06-17-2007, 06:34 AM
It wont change how you motor runs until your motor sucks up a bunch of water and it will happen. Also the aluminum risers only weigh a couple pounds so there wont be much of a gain that way. Having only exhaust flaps (on the tips) is not going to stop the water from coming in. In most cases the outside water pressure (from a wave or backing up) will close the exhaust flap but if for some reason the exhaust dips below the water with the motor off (like from a wave or someone stepping on the transom getting in the boat) the flap will not close and water will flow right into the exhaust chamber and then past a open valve and into a cylinder. IMHO Not worth the risk.

mrfixxall
06-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Lee, i have a spare set with risers that ill let you have. '' cheep" and theirs no shipping cost!! you can pick them up...em me ill give you the details..