PDA

View Full Version : New Speed Wax: Good For 4-8 MPH! LOL

Carl C
04-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Ah, the things you dig up when you're searching for something else! Nearly the whole board fell for this one. :) Only Mop and Buizilla saw through it best I can tell! :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35795 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35975 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36324

Johntrip
04-10-2007, 08:23 PM
7 MPH!!!! Where can I purchase ???:bonk:

catch 22
04-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Me & Dr Dan have already been through this once.:boggled: :bonk: :smash: :smash:

peregrine
04-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Not knowing much about boats or claiming to know anything else about anything else, but avid reader of tech articles and able to understand complex issues. That being said, I remember from back in the soap box derby days that wax helped the wind move over the body better. Now don't jump on me yet, but I would assume that would be true in hull to water app as well. So I am reading HotRod mag an issue or two ago and there is this wind tunnel and they are doing all sorts of up to 200mph testing. The Guru's there say the smoothness of the surface has absolutely nothing to do with it. It could be a flat black paint and still have the same coeficient of drag than a perfect show car finish with jiz wax on it. Does coefecient apply to watercraft as well. If it does than finish on the hull doesn't make a difference. I know this is a leap from cars to boats and I may be making cross references that don't make sense. So people here who now what they are talking about chime in and teach us the difference and if there is any truth to my lie.

gold-n-rod
04-11-2007, 12:20 PM
One of the performance boating mags tested a bottom coating a few years back. It was applied with a roller and left a rippled finish. Turns out that speeds went up because the new finish broke the water's grip on the hull and created less drag.

I don't remember the name of the stuff, but evidently, it never caught on. I've never seen anyone, save that magazine writer, use the stuff.

MOP
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
A couple of things that have proved to me slick is slower!
I was a sail boat racer for quite a quite a few years, even got wriiten up in Soundings. I used to wet sand my bottom paint until it was a smooth as a babies butt, along came the Americas cup race in Austrailia. The US team applied Boeing Rivlets to the bottom of the hull anf gain .2 of a knot OK OK that is not much but they went on to win. The next spring I rolled my bottom paint on and yes it made about three boat lengths a mile differance, I know this was pretty accurate as I had raced against these self same guys for many years. Mr. Poddle brought up about sanding the last 1/3 of our donzi's to break the stiction layer, when I did the bottom work on my 22 it was left just sanded. Years back I did a what me the novice thought was a super port and polish job on a set of camel backs, I to them to Merkels shop to flow test them. I thought Jack would pee his pants when he looked them over said he could shave in them, he had me rough one up to kill the mirror glaze. On the flow machine the un glazed port flowed much better, I spent another hour or two roughing the rest.

zelatore
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Much as I hate to say it, the guys to ask about this sort of thing are the rag baggers. Hard-core sailboaters will try anything to gain a tenth of a knot. If there's a fast bottom finish, they'd know about it. It's not uncommon to find them waxing the bottom of the boat prior to a race.

Don

peregrine
04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
MOP,
I thought the rough that you wanted in the port job was for fuel atomization (is that a word), not for flow of air. I know that rough is better on the bench than smooth.
If I was a millionaire I would actually go to school for engineering just so I would know this stuff. Not that knowing it would make any difference except for appeasing my soul, but I would be happier in life in almost a Zen like manner.

Carl C
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
There was an article in a recent boating mag about sanding the bottom to roughen it up for a little extra speed. They did say that you may hurt the boat's value though. You need a "rough" surface to break up surface tension. I've never waxed the bottoms of my boats. These threads are entertaining because they promised 4 mph on a 22 Classic and claimed 7 mph on a certain Fountain and seasoned boaters here were lined up to buy this magic potion. Who knows, I may have gotten caught up in the frenzy too. Anyway, MadPoodle busted them red-handed in their scam! It's entertaining to take the time to read the three threads.

BaldEagle
04-11-2007, 05:46 PM
laminar flow vs turbulent flow. In laminar flow the fluid attaches itself to the surface. That increases drag.

gold-n-rod
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
laminar flow vs turbulent flow. In laminar flow the fluid attaches itself to the surface. That increases drag.

Welcome back to the land of the living, Jeff!!!!

Nice to see you around. Now, get that bad boy prepped for some serious boating in the summer of '07!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

Dr. Dan
04-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Me & Dr Dan have already been through this once.:boggled: :bonk: :smash: :smash:

Got my money back and the wax is still on the work bench....someday it might warm up enough to use it?

Doc of Monetary Flow Out Da Doh? :eek!:

gcarter
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Ah, the things you dig up when you're searching for something else! Nearly the whole board fell for this one. :) Only Mop and Buizilla saw through it best I can tell! :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35795 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35975 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36324
No one got any of my money!!:)

BUIZILLA
04-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Doc of Monetary Flow Out Da Doh? :eek!: Danny, you need to trademark that phrase.. :yes: :yes:

Carl C
04-11-2007, 08:14 PM
It sounds like not too many got scammed, it was caught in time . Did anyone actually try the blue liquid?

pmreed
04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Nobody admitted to it.

pipnit
04-16-2007, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=Carl C;407562]Ah, the things you dig up when you're searching for something else! Nearly the whole board fell for this one. :) Only Mop and Buizilla saw through it best I can tell! :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: [QUOTE]

Ha, I called B.S. right off the bat. Anyone who fell for it either doesn't own a boat, has never tried to make a boat go faster, is a total s.........d, well, I'll stop before it get's nasty. lol

pipnit

Speed Whaa?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but I'm VERY skeptical about "speed wax." 7mph on a 35' fountain from wax alone?!? NOWAY (laughing as I type this) there is just noway this is possible. They say on a 20' boat you can count on needing 10 h.p. for one mph if your tuned in right. When I'm running WFO there is only about two feet of the boat in the water anyhew! If you're looking for more speed, try my speed wax, it's called raw horsepower and is available at any speed shop for a premium.