PDA

View Full Version : Water in bilge, ALWAYS!

sub-bass
04-10-2007, 05:22 PM
OK, I'm gonna do this as precisely as possible.
When I pull my boat out of the water I drain the hull through the bung on the ramp until it's EMPTY as the ramp has a pitch greater than the boat sits on the trailer where it is stored. Take boat home clean then flush, boom, done. When I go out again, before I actually put the boat back in the water I actually put the bung in whilst the boat is on the ramp to make sure there is NO water in hull - I then put the bung in and launch the boat, whilst idling around and warming-up I'll take a look in the bilge to check for smoke etc - now, here's what I want to know. Why do I ALWAYS have at least a 3/4 gal or more of water sitting in the bottom of the blige? I have checked all the cooling hoses and clamps and can't imagine that water can hide anywhere up front considring the angle at which I drain it after and before use.
Is there a chance that the bellows would leak like this?
I'd like to prevent the engine from ever seeing salt water again if possible.
What is the average amount of water in the bilge for you guys after a day out, maybe with a couple of ski runs??

Many thanks in advance for any help on this..

G

gcarter
04-10-2007, 05:34 PM
What type of engine, drive, and water pickup do you have?

sub-bass
04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry, thought it was listed as my 'signature'.
7.4l Merc, Bravo 1, through the leg pick-up - All are stock standard.

slamdry
04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
could the water be trapped someware inside the boat when you take it out??

realbold
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Years ago I kept getting water in the bilge and could not find the leak. Finally I decided to raise the trailer jack all the way and put water in the bilge to see if I could find a leak coming out of the boat. Turned out to be a pinhole in the shift cable boot.

gcarter
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
You may have a small hole, slit, or tear in a hose that only leaks when it's underway, when there's pressure in the lines. It may not leak at all when stationary.

Cuda
04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Does it ever get to be more than 3/4 of a gallon?

sub-bass
04-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Last time I took it out it had maybe 3 gallons which is why I'm now a little worried...

thanks

Sweet little 16
04-10-2007, 06:28 PM
your speedo work?

Barry Eller
04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I was getting water in my bilge from the outdrive seal to the transom. It required pulling the engine and drive to replace it. Sorry...:boggled:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47877

RedDog
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I never proved it, but I was convinced that my former 18 (with a big block making it stern heavy) would take on water as I launched it. I thought water was coming in through the bilge pump discharge thru-hull fitting down the hose and out the pump.

sub-bass
04-10-2007, 06:47 PM
your speedo work?

I think the peto tube is blocked, speedo not working.

Sweet little 16
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
not blocked busted see if you get water when just sitting in water for hours

Cuda
04-10-2007, 07:00 PM

Last time I took it out it had maybe 3 gallons which is why I'm now a little worried...

thanks
In other words, it gets more as the day wears on? If so, I'd suspect either a bellow (shift or drive, assuming you have through hull exhaust), or a leaking transom assembly gasket. Pray it's the bellows. At least then you don't have to pull the engine.

Tilt the drive all the way up, then open each fold on all the bellows to check for leaks. I damn near sunk my Minx two years ago due to leaking bellows that I didn't know about, and left it in the water overnight at the Hometown Rally. The water was up to the bottom of the exhaust the next morning.:(

DonziJon
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Raise the drive Full Up while the boat is on the trailer. Reach under the drive so you can feel the rubber bellows. AGRESSIVLY try and JAM your fingers between the folds of the rubber bellows so as to "penetrate" the bellows. You will be looking for rotten rubber. If the bellows rubber is sound, you will NOT be able to force your fingers through the rubber.

This assumes you have nicely manicured male fingernails. If the bellows survives your intrusive attack, the bellows is not the problem. Do the same for the little bellows around the shift cable. Don't be afraid to "disturb" something under there. If you do, it already needs fixing.

A small crack in the bellows can remain sealed under some conditions and open up to varying degrees under other conditions, and admit water. John

EDIT: What CUDA said.

handfulz28
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
It wasn't a Donzi, but I had a similar scenario-always having water in the bilge but no apparent leaks. Finally one day I just backed the boat down the ramp enough to put the transom in the water, then looked in the engine compartment. I finally found that water was coming in through the upper swivel shafts and a hole in the transom assembly. "Lucky" for me, that part of the boat is only under water when at the ramp.

Johntrip
04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I came in on Sunday and found salt on top of my risers and underside of my engine hatch. So I went back out, got on a plane, my friend captained the boat while I looked for the leak and found nothing. Closed the hatch and ran the boat opened the hatch and the salt was back ????? Theirs enough salt where it should be obvious. Could it be that it only leaks when the hatch is closed ?????:confused: :confused:

realbold
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I damn near sunk my Minx two years ago due to leaking bellows that I didn't know about, and left it in the water overnight at the Hometown Rally. The water was up to the bottom of the exhaust the next morning.:(
My Nova nearly sank also cause of the pinhole in the shift cable bellows.

RickSE
04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
I'd check that speedo tube inside the boat if the speedo doesn't work. They'll usually only leak when the boat is in motion.

FISHIN SUCKS
04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
When my bellow was leaking, I was able to see water trickling down from the gimball bearing (looking from inside the engine compartment of course). I don't know how much room you classic guys have to try and see down there, but our Blackwidow has enough room to bake a cake back there:biggrin.:

MOP
04-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Block the peto with a piece of tape and run to see if that cures it, if so happy tube tracing. If not I vote bellows. Doubt the shift cable, they usually are a slower nagging leak.

Phil

Pismo
04-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Is the water hot or cold, narrows things down a lot.

Morgan's Cloud
04-11-2007, 06:57 AM
All good suggestions . And here's mine ........
Also check to make sure the raw water pump feed and delivery hoses have tight hose clamps.
Not too long ago Merc sent me a motor that had this problem and it could have been a disaster .
AS for Johnt's mystery salt spray on the top of his motor ... hmmmm
Could it be leaking from the circulating pump and being flung around on the belt ? ?
Of course you did'nt see it happening when you opened the hatch and let someone else drive... That's like the pain dissapearing when you go the the doctor :D

Sam
04-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I had a similar problem with water in the bilge that haunted me for two years. I finally found the culprit to be the brass fitting that houses the drain plug. It seems that the caulking around the fitting shrunk and was letting water get by. Pulled, cleaned and re-caulked it............dry as a bone now.

Pismo
04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I had the leaky plug thing as well. Remove, coat, sealer, reinstall. Done.

sub-bass
04-13-2007, 03:02 AM
Many thanks to all who helped out first of all, so many good suggestions.
I did some searching today while launching boat and letting it sit in water stationary - it was leaking throught the trim-tab mount on the transom just where the cased-line goes through. This was possibly the easiest fix considering all the possible causes. A little silicone and a tighten up on the bolts was all it needed.

Thanks again

GN

realbold
04-13-2007, 06:27 AM
I hope the core in the transom didn't get wet. That's how they rot.

Cuda
04-13-2007, 08:37 AM
I hope the core in the transom didn't get wet. That's how they rot.
Nothing like a ray of sunshine.

Pismo
04-13-2007, 08:38 AM
That is worrisome.

Splendid
04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Is the outer ring that the drain plug goes into tight and sealed? Mine was loose on my 04 22zx. had to back out the screws and seal with some 5200 caulk

realbold
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Nothing like a ray of sunshine.
No gloom and doom here, just wanted to make him aware of it.
If it was me I'd pull it off and check it out. If the wood is exposed it got wet. Dry it and seal with more than just silicone. I'd also check the other one and reseal it. Redoin a transom is not fun.

Carl C
05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm taking on about 3 gallons every time out now too. I checked some of the things mentioned on this thread. I'll take it out with the engine hatch off and see if I can find the problem.:(

MOP
05-08-2007, 08:11 PM
3 gallons is quite a bit, I wonder if your bellows is seated right. On the drive side of the gimble it is held in place by a push in metal ring, on two different occasions in mounting Bravos here in the yard they dislodged that ring jerking the drive around and tripped the edge of the bellows off its land. The amount of water you are talking about sounds like that problem. If you can get a flex neck mirror and a flash light to look under the back end of the bell housing right after you launch it you should be able to see the water running in dead center of the transom.

Phil

Carl C
05-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks, Mop, I have the million cp spotlight and will rig a mirror. Like sub-bass I jacked the bow sky high and let everything dry completely. Couldn't see any problem outside the boat. All hose clamps seem tight but there are a lot of them so I may have missed something. Both bellows are new. I've removed the engine hatch and cover. I plan to plug the bulkhead drain hole temporarily too. I may have to wait untill tomorrow to water test; it's raining now.

Carl C
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
sub-bass has solved his problem so I'm not 'jacking this thread but I'm now taking on about 1 gallon of water per hour. I'm not sure if it's coming in with the engine running or while sitting. I removed the engine hatch and cover and plugged the bulkhead drain hole temporarily. I checked the obvious things mentioned in this thread. If the rain stops tomorrow I'm thinking of running it on the hose long enough to bring the temp up and check for any dripping from the engine. Is there any reason not to run it for 15 minutes or so on the hose? If no leaks show up then I plan to put it in the lake and idle out and sit with the motor off and see what happens. Does this sound like a viable plan?:confused:

MOP
05-09-2007, 04:18 PM
The bellows will leak running or not!