PDA

View Full Version : Seat help! How do I bolt sliders to pylons? Can't get to back side

zimm17
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Trying to install my new Springfield sliders/swivels. I have an 1988 with the fiberglass pylons. I got the three screws loose in the old base and I heard the nut drop into the bilge :eek!:

I pulled the center cooler liner thing and there's no way to get to the backside of the pylons. Now what? Do I need some sort of stainless steel toggle bolts? Any ideas would be great.

My dad's telling me to drill a big hole in the front of the pylon to get in there with a wrench. Is that the only way?

gcarter
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Use a 3" hole saw and cut a hole in the top. I used 3/8" SST T-nuts on the underside of the pylon.
I posted a thread on this once. Another advantage is you have an access to the outside of the stringers.
I don't know about Springfields, as I used Garelick, but you may have to drill another bolt pattern in the mounts.

zimm17
04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Oh wow, yes a whole in the top is much better than the front. Is it plywood underneath so I can use stainless t-nuts?

gcarter
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Oh wow, yes a whole in the top is much better than the front. Is it plywood underneath so I can use stainless t-nuts?
My Minx was cored w/plywood. I suspect all seat bases are plywood cored for strength.

tmdog
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I was approached with the same problem you're experiencing. I used GCarter's method of drilling a hole in center of seat pod. Used cut off pcs.of "all thread" with fender washer and nut on inside. See pic.

CHACHI
04-12-2007, 06:15 AM
I was gping to use George Carters "fix " on my Minx because the base bolts were comming loose after 18 years. Pulled the cooler and guess what, my arm fit in/up high enough where I could get a wrench on the nuts from the backside.
Try to find some one with a more petite arm.

Ken

Ranman
04-12-2007, 08:59 AM
I was gping to use George Carters "fix " on my Minx because the base bolts were comming loose after 18 years. Pulled the cooler and guess what, my arm fit in/up high enough where I could get a wrench on the nuts from the backside.
Try to find some one with a more petite arm.
Ken

This is how I did it. No hole needed.

As an FYI, go for the Garelicks when you trash this set of Springfields. The Garelicks are a direct replacement and are MUCH stronger than the Springfields. The only difference is that the Garelicks sit about 1/2" higher. I don't notice this and I am 6'4" in an 18 Classic.

zimm17
04-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Well the springfields are a little rinky dink. They are better than my 1988 era sliders though. They are so stiff they hardly move even with fresh grease. The handles are all broken, etc.

These will hopefully have room for the seats to pivot around- that would be awesome.