PDA

View Full Version : 22C vs Minx

peregrine
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Help me out here. I am seeing these 1987 Minx's on Ebay in the 10-15k range and I am considering a Minx. What are the differences between the Minx and the 22 Classic? Was 1987 a good or bad year for the Minx. Are there any pro's and con's to buying one vs the other. I am not talking about rigging, but hull, seating etc... I mean comparing... say 2 boats with the same motor and drive. What is the difference besides 1-2 feet of length. Is the freeboard ( I hope I am saying that right) different heights? Is there a noticable difference in handling in the ocean?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice

DonziJon
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
The smoked plexi Wind Screen on the Minx actually works. It directs the wind up and over your head. I have a Minx and I'm 6'2'' and the coverage is just like riding in a convertable...except in the back seat of course.. which is also just like a convertable. A few Minxs had a metal framed wind screen that looks pretty nice but I don't know if it works as good as the plexi. The windscreen on the 22C does not work well from what I've heard. John

peregrine
04-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah I heard that the 22 windshield was bad like that. I am 6' so that is nice to know. I do like the look of the all plexi windshield. Those must be expensive to replace?

gcarter
04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
My Minx performed like a 22C that was 2' shorter, weighed 400-500# less and had a SBC.
If you're used to a 22C and its quirks, a Minx exhibits the same quirks, only sooner.
You ride quite a bit higher and drier.
The coaming and windshield are much higher around you.
You probably get better fuel economy.

techspecial
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
I bought my Minx with no windshield...
Haven't been able to get one without giving up the boat.
Don't know what I'm missing so it's no problem.
I'm bald anyway...I just keep my mouth closed.
Seriously...I think the Minx has higher sides anyway.
You sit down inside with your arms inside.:propeller:

roadtrip se
04-09-2007, 07:53 PM
First, any Donzi that you can afford is better than no Donzi. I really doubt there are going to be many 22s out there that are avaialble at 10-15K that aren't total basket cases.

At the risk of rattling the Minx owners here, I would put the Minx at a step above the 18 Classic, not an alternative to the C22. The C22 is actually almost 23 feet in length and I believe that the dead rise, or the angle of attack of the hull is more agressive, both giving a better ride in the bumpy water that makes theses boats a hoot to drive.

I am 6'4" so I am up in the slip stream in everything but Sea Rays and Formulas. The wind doesn't matter to me, it's part of the experience. Some folks I do know wear ear plugs to cut down on the noise, but the wind is part of the experience any way.

Finally, nothing subs for cubic inches. Fuel economy in a performance boat?
If this is your concern, go buy a Bayliner Capri with an Iron Duke four cylinder and have at it! If you can the swing the 22, the kick in the pants from the torque of a big block can't be beat. Not to mention the difference in top end and the ride while you are there.

The perspective of a happy C22 owner, but that shouldn't surprise anyone here...

gcarter
04-09-2007, 08:21 PM
At the risk of rattling the Minx owners here, I would put the Minx at a step above the 18 Classic, not an alternative to the C22. The C22 is actually almost 23 feet in length and I believe that the dead rise, or the angle of attack of the hull is more agressive,
Sorry Dude....but this is true only in your dreams.
I spent quite a bit of time under these things and the only difference is the length.

roadtrip se
04-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Sorry Dude....but this is true only in your dreams.
I spent quite a bit of time under these things and the only difference is the length.

I said, "I believe" the dead rise is different, but the power, the length, and the weight make a big difference, almost three feet, in favor of the 22 and that ain't no dream my friend. These attributes all give the bigger boat more neutral handling too, no need for dragging tabs and other stuff I have heard about. I'm sure it will happen some day, but the 22's are typically not being passed by the Minxs at most rallys I have run at, deadrise be dammed.

Big block in a Minx, hmmmm. How she run?

peregrine
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
I have champagne tastes on a beer budget. I simply have seen a few Minx's go below the 15k range and the 22C's seem above the 15k range. Besides 2+ feet in length I guess there isn't much of a difference from what you guys are saying. Then there is the nice example of a Hornet III at 21', for 11.5k on ebay..........http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110111240581&rd=1,1
So you guys tell me. Any pro's for the Minx besides a higher freeboard? Any more pro's for the 22C besides the extra feet?

MOP
04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
At the Dora run there was a fellow that had owned a Minx with a worked BB said it ran great but in his opinion it spoiled the ride and handling.

Phil

BERTRAM BOY
04-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Does anyone have a Minx brochure? I'm with Todd on this one, I could've sworn that the deadrise on a Minx was 19 degrees instead of 24.

Cuda
04-09-2007, 09:23 PM
G Carter is correct. I owned a Minx and a 22 at the same time. Not a great difference in the ride, I think the 22 is 22'6", and the Minx is 20'6". To me, the Minx had a more "fun" feel to it, compared to the 22, and I doubt I'd run any faster in rough seas with the 22 than I would in the Minx.

Cuda
04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Btw, that Formula F20 next to them rides better in rough water than either of the Donzi's.

Cuda
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
The hulls on the 22 and the Minx are exactly the same, other than length. If you notice in the first two pictures I posted of the Minx and the 22, the 22 is on the aluminum trailer. I only swapped the trailer to haul it to Miami last year, because I didn't want to dunk the steel trailer the 22 came on in salt water. I didn't have to move the bunks in or out one bit, I just moved the winch stand back two feet. I also put the Minx on the 22 steel trailer just to store it, because the winch stand on it doesn't move. I swapped them back when I got back from Miami.

Cuda
04-09-2007, 09:44 PM
The trim tabs on the Minx kind of hides it, but the bunks on the 22 trailer, which is a non-adjustable trailer, hit right where they do on the 22, when the Minx was on it. It just looks like it has a drive guard. :)

Cuda
04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I have champagne tastes on a beer budget. I simply have seen a few Minx's go below the 15k range and the 22C's seem above the 15k range.
I just sold my Minx a couple weeks ago, excellent condition, new interior, 330 horse FWC 350, aluminum tandem axle trailer for $12,500.

I wish I could have kept both, but I needed to sell one, and the 22 I put in Debbie's name, so you know which one ended up on the sale block. :(

peregrine
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I guess I am looking at a lower price because of the rigging. Did they make 22's with 350's? Everyone seems to have a big block in them. I figured the 22 with a 350 would get me in cheaper and then I could upgrade as money allowed.
Cuda....I hear a 20' Cig is better than the Donzi as well...would you agree? Just curious, probably won't be able to find one when I am ready to buy.

DonCig
04-10-2007, 01:41 AM
I guess I am looking at a lower price because of the rigging. Did they make 22's with 350's? Everyone seems to have a big block in them. I figured the 22 with a 350 would get me in cheaper and then I could upgrade as money allowed.
Cuda....I hear a 20' Cig is better than the Donzi as well...would you agree? Just curious, probably won't be able to find one when I am ready to buy.

I currently own a 1996 Cigarette 20, and I prefer the Classic 22; everythig else being equal. A lot of the charachter of the boat comes from the engine and the drive, so I would refrain from saying that one is better than the other in a blanket statement. In other words, a nice hot rod is a nice ride.
A dud is a dud, no matter what brand name is on the hull.

Don

gcarter
04-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Does anyone have a Minx brochure? I'm with Todd on this one, I could've sworn that the deadrise on a Minx was 19 degrees instead of 24.
Cliff;
I'll post a Minx brochure later as I'm on the wrong computer now.
But guys, after taking the hooks out of the Minx and re-gelling its entire bottom.......I know what I'm talking about!:lightning
I'm sure I'm the only one on the site that's done that.

Cuda
04-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Yes, they made some 22's with small blocks and Alpha drives. Budman owns one, and Donzigo Jr used to own one. I believe MOP has one, but with a different drive. When I first decided I wanted a Donzi, I knew I wanted a Minx. It took me two years to find one I could afford, and to this day, I still would prefer the Minx.

Maybe it's just me, but I like having something that you can no longer go to the factory and buy one brand new. They only made about 160 of the Minx. I guess I just like things that are a little different than most. I bought my 302 Formula because it was a Kaama Edition, which you can no longer buy, and I bought an Edsel station wagon once, just because I had never even seen one before (although my dad owned 7 Edsels).

Cuda
04-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Btw, the price of the old 20 Cigs has skyrocketed the last couple years. A lot of guys with big Cigs, want them to have them redone into a mini-me.

peregrine
04-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks Cuda. I meant the Cig hull better in the rough than a Donzi, Donzig, no disrespect. I want a 22C because it is still made. It's like getting a Bently GT for less money. You get what they still make today at a fraction of the cost. God knows I can't afford a 1969 Camaro convertible anymore because of appreciation, but boats don't seem to be the same. I am really lusting after a Shelby edition, but I could get an imitation for less cost or upgrade as I go/can afford. No loans on this deal. I want to pay cash as funds become available. Did all that make sense?
Sorry if it didn't
Dave

gcarter
04-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Here's the brochure that states a 24* deadrise.

BERTRAM BOY
04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks George.

smoothie
04-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks Cuda. I meant the Cig hull better in the rough than a Donzi, Donzig, no disrespect. I want a 22C because it is still made. It's like getting a Bently GT for less money. You get what they still make today at a fraction of the cost. God knows I can't afford a 1969 Camaro convertible anymore because of appreciation, but boats don't seem to be the same. I am really lusting after a Shelby edition, but I could get an imitation for less cost or upgrade as I go/can afford. No loans on this deal. I want to pay cash as funds become available. Did all that make sense?
Sorry if it didn't
Dave

My buddy has a Minx...and the ride in my 20 cig is much better in the rough stuff than his,,,but it also weights more and built like a tank...

roadtrip se
04-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Sorry if it didn't
Dave

Cripe, I make one mis-informed statment about the deadrise on a Minx and the lid blows off. I stand corrected and now I have said it twice. I'm still not buying that a small block Minx is going to be a suitable alternative to a big block C22.

DonCig has hit on a very valid point, there simply is no subsitute for a hotrod and good old American cubic inches. For those of you coming to AOTH, watch out for Don, he'll be the white/blue 18-ish blur passing you.

Peregrine, you have hit on a very valid point. Once you buy one of these things, the modifications will start and every season will bring something new. This is one of the things that makes the rally atmosphere so great, because you get to see the latest upgrades people have made to their toys and pick up ideas for your own.

You've got guys going into the 90's with the modifications they have made to their 22's. I took mine from 68 to 81 and created a barrel of laughs and adrenaline in the process. My advice, buy the best 22 you can afford for the budget and start the process.

Of course, you will have access to all of the free advice in the world right here. In the meantime, I'm going to go see if I can wash this Minx tatoo I just acquired off my back end. Geesh.

peregrine
04-10-2007, 10:47 AM
That is why I started this thread. I may be able to afford the Minx's I see WHEN I am ready to purchase, but the 22C's seem to be out of reach. So I was asking if I wanted a 22C would the Minx be just as good, AND THIS IS FOR THE HULL ONLY, question. Yes I want a big block i.e. 502 supercharged, 22C, but I also want to get into a boat this decade and I haven't won the lottery yet. Sorry Guys, but with a 3 month old baby, a brand new hot rod truck and the bike, I don't have a budget left over for a Donzi......and the wife is starting a boat fund out of her over time pay! (God bless her) I am researching these points..... 22C vs. Minx for future reference. I didn't expect the heated debate. Well, maybe a little. I am just drawing in all the opinions and facts I can so when I finally get to pull the trigger I will be a well informed buyer.
Now carry on! please

BUIZILLA
04-10-2007, 11:25 AM
peregrine.......

based on your statements herein, I think you'd be very happy with a Minx and a small block for your family, and that's coming from someone that's owned them both.

JH

Cuda
04-10-2007, 11:46 AM
George, what year is that brochure? I noticed they all have the eyetalian windshield.

Cuda
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
peregrine.......
based on your statements herein, I think you'd be very happy with a Minx and a small block for your family, and that's coming from someone that's owned them both.
JH
I agree, if you need more speed, I'd put a strong 383 small block with the HD gearset in the Alpha and call it good. I think the BBC/Bravo combination throws the CG off. Also coming from somebody that's owned both. Hell, I miss mine already. :(

VetteLT193
04-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I bought my Minx with no windshield...
Haven't been able to get one without giving up the boat.
Don't know what I'm missing so it's no problem.
I'm bald anyway...I just keep my mouth closed.
Seriously...I think the Minx has higher sides anyway.
You sit down inside with your arms inside.:propeller:

I really dislike the 16/18/22's with no windshield (just a taste difference). But dang, the Minx without one looks really good!

Back to the subject at hand.

I've been looking forever and am in the same boat (pun intended) as you are.

20' Cigs are basically priced out of control at this point.
20' Minx seem to be currently a great deal
22' Classics are hit/miss for pricing.

I personally would NOT suggest buying a small block 22 if your interested in upgrading later to big block. Take a look at engine/drive packages and you'll see why. You can get a complete, brand new, Mercruiser 383 with bravo 1 drive package for the same price as a low HP Mercruiser Big Block. Add in all the other things you'll need to the BBC (drive, gimbal, relocating the exhaust, exhaust in general, etc. etc. and you are out Big $$$$). A nice, 'done' big block 22 can be found for the mid $20k range putting one at roughly 10k more than the minx. IMHO you would never upgrade a SB 22 to BB 22 for anywhere near that.

I like the fact that the Minx has more free board but is basically the same hull. I've heard that Donzi used a 22 hull and cut out 2 feet in front of the windshield to make the minx hull. I also like the windshield, although 22's can be found with a plexi shield that has wind tabs built in and they work good too (my brother has a 1987 22 with one).

For the 22's defense, the 22 is the big brother to all the classics and it seems to be the one that most people really want in the end... it looks awesome, is available today new, etc.

gcarter
04-10-2007, 01:32 PM
George, what year is that brochure? I noticed they all have the eyetalian windshield.
I think it was '88.

Tim Morris
04-10-2007, 01:39 PM
The smoked plexi Wind Screen on the Minx actually works. It directs the wind up and over your head. I have a Minx and I'm 6'2'' and the coverage is just like riding in a convertable...except in the back seat of course.. which is also just like a convertable. A few Minxs had a metal framed wind screen that looks pretty nice but I don't know if it works as good as the plexi. The windscreen on the 22C does not work well from what I've heard. John

Agreed!

Windshield here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43472

Tim Morris
04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
G Carter is correct. I owned a Minx and a 22 at the same time. Not a great difference in the ride, I think the 22 is 22'6", and the Minx is 20'6". To me, the Minx had a more "fun" feel to it, compared to the 22, and I doubt I'd run any faster in rough seas with the 22 than I would in the Minx.

Agreed!

gcarter
04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Her is some Minx trivia;
The length difference didn't just come out of the bow.....the engine compartment is also 6" shorter than a 22C.
In fact you pull and install the engine sideways.
The Minx cockpit is about 2" wider than a more modern 22C.
The 2' shorter hull isn't quite as fast in rough water as a well driven 22C, but that shouldn't be a surprise...length is important.
The Minx is potentially more nimble than a 22C....again, no surprise as it is about 500# lighter.
As I mentioned earlier, less mass makes it a little like a cork compared to a 22C w/a BBC...but adds to the fun.
I really enjoyed my Minx, it was very economical to operate and got about 4 MPG.
It had a huge fun factor and always turned heads.
Not many people have ever seen a Minx, after all we've only found 163 of them.
How many 22C's are there?
Do you want to go 85 MPH, go with a 22C!!!!!!
There have been some successful Minx BBC/Bravo conversions, but I personally think a healthy 383/Bravo or 427/Bravo or Volvo conversion would be better for this size hull.

BigGrizzly
04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Sorry George the hulls between the 22 and the minx are different. First off there are at least 3 different bottoms on the classic. the taper bow to stern between the M and classic are different . The classic being slimmer than the M. the strakes are beveled on the later classics, and the dead rise is narrower for the length. as for what handles better its choice. I prefer the classic styling again that is subjective. Hell I have three and the only real classic I have is the 16. The 18 is a Corsican and the 22 is a Criterion. Like trip says any Donzi is better then no Donzi. The ride issue, riding and driving both there isn't much difference, its what you are use to. Everybody likes the one they have. In curtain water the 18 rides best in other the 22. Now that I have confused you, ride/drive both than make the decisions. Don't let any one tell you one is better then the other, its subjective. your buying this boat for you not us!!!

gcarter
04-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Randy, I think this discussion is primarily encompassing mid '80's boats and I'm not sure there had been much change in the 22 hull from the first ones in the late '70's to the mid to late '80's. Maybe there was???????
I know the Minx is different overall from a 22C because the transitions from section to section take place in a shorter distance.
I have carefully measured the transoms of a Minx to a 22C and they are very similar if not identical. But assuming station 1 (just aft of the bow eye), station 5 (midships), and station 10 (the transom) are identical to the same stations in a 22C.....the rest of the stations aren't going to be identical because to do so would be forcing the lines. After all, there is a 2' difference in length. The lines have to flow and fall where they will. As an example, the Minx has very little aft flat run while the 22C probably has twice as much. But in comparison, they are as similar as the difference in length allows.
Stated another way, if a person were to simply scale down a 22C to 20', the shorter scaled down hull wouldn't have a 7' beam, it would be something less. But the 20' Minx has the same major dimensions as the 22C, save the length, so it is different, but VERY similar.
These boats aren't like a motor yacht where they create longer and shorter hulls by putting shorter and longer plugs in the mold. Every hull is made with a carefully engineered seperate mold.
Maybe I stated the similarities too strongly.....what I meant was that the general overall shape and size of the two hulls are as similar as the difference in length would allow.

peregrine
04-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Well my head is spinning and my eyes hurt, but you have all provided me with some really good insight. I think I need the length, and I would prefer more freeboard, but I am going to look for a SB 22C*. I don't need 80mph on the water. I think 65mph is enough.

*Disclaimer....I have yet to ride in either and I may change my mind several times before purchase and as to what is available for what I have to spend.

Thanks guys...I will ask more ?'s in the future. Like what is porpoising?

Cuda
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Your best bet is to come to a Donzi Rally and ride in each. You'll find all Donzi owners would be glad to take you for a ride, then narrow your choices down.

Personally, if a small block would suit you, I'd look for a decent Minx. You'd get a lot better boat for the money. And as pointed out, if you upgrade to a BBC in an SBC 22, it'll cost you more than buying a BBC 22 in the first place. Hell, shopping for a boat is half the fun.

Btw, I paid $9000 exactly for our 22. It had a blown tranny, which I knew, so I was just taking a chance the engine would run. It ran like a top. It was in great shape, no major dings, all the original interior in great shape, on a trailer built for a 22C. I found it on ebay, and it was only about 25 miles from here, so the last day of the auction, I went to look at it, and told the guy I'd stroke him a check right now and haul it off. He hemmed and hawed, but I told him that selling big ticket items on ebay is a hit or miss situation. I sold two jetskis twice on ebay, and neither time did the buyer show up. :(

I think I got a helluva deal, granted I've got more than that in it now, but I could have just rebuilt the tranny and called it good. I would have had $10,350.00 in it at that point. :)

DonziJon
04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm partial to the Minx..with the SBC..I have one. As far as I know, all Minxs have SBCs. ..up to 300HP stock. I also think the 22c usually has BBCs. I think both of these "realities" is by choice of the original buyers.

I would not have bought a Donzi if I had thought I would lose money down the road when I sold it. My attitude was, buy a good boat, (A Donzi Classic) use it, take care of it, and you will get your money back. It's been 10 years now and I think I could get my money back today. Not many boats/brands will give you your money back.

I think a 22c with a small block would not be a great seller down the road, since the great preponderance of 22c boats have BBCs. As stated in a few posts above, upgrading a 22c to a big block later on would not be cost effective. More food for thought. John

Cuda
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm partial to the Minx..with the SBC..I have one. As far as I know, all Minxs have SBCs. ..up to 300HP stock.
Some came with the 320 horse 350 fuel injected. Mine was one of them. I think this was Merc's first venture into the EFI engines, and the result wasn't good. The 320 EFI is the exact same engine as the 300 horse Tempest, other than the fuel injection instead of a carb. The Tempest and the EFI had a forged crank, forged pistons, four bolt mains, and "pink" rods. A damn good package, if you had the Tempest.

Unfortunately, this is what my EFI looked like when I bought the boat. I had to beat hell out of the pistons to get them out. :(

handfulz28
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Another lurker here that's really glad this topic came up. But so far most of the talk has been about power/drives and hull design/geometry.

What about the interior dimensions? I notice the Minx has arm rests and cup holders where the 22C doesn't? Is there a difference in leg room (front and rear)? What about storage? Are there any other real tangible differences besides drivetrain, hull, weight?

So far from what I've come across on Ebay, Boat Trader, Craigslist, and here, the 22Cs have all had big blocks. The difference is drives: some (newer? what year did they start?) have Bravos, mid-late 80s have TRS, and some got King Cobras (early 90s?). The Minx got SBCs, the "option" being the 320EFI/Alpha SS package. I'm curious how the performance of the Alpha SS differs from std Alpha?
Thanks everyone,
Michael

Cuda
04-10-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm curious how the performance of the Alpha SS differs from std Alpha?
Thanks everyone,
Michael
I believe Buizilla tried an SS drive on his Minx, and saw no difference. Jim?

BUIZILLA
04-10-2007, 08:16 PM
yup, no difference whatsoever..

peregrine
04-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Your best bet is to come to a Donzi Rally and ride in each. You'll find all Donzi owners would be glad to take you for a ride, then narrow your choices down.
Personally, if a small block would suit you, I'd look for a decent Minx. You'd get a lot better boat for the money. And as pointed out, if you upgrade to a BBC in an SBC 22, it'll cost you more than buying a BBC 22 in the first place. Hell, shopping for a boat is half the fun.
Btw, I paid $9000 exactly for our 22. It had a blown tranny, which I knew, so I was just taking a chance the engine would run. It ran like a top. It was in great shape, no major dings, all the original interior in great shape, on a trailer built for a 22C. I found it on ebay, and it was only about 25 miles from here, so the last day of the auction, I went to look at it, and told the guy I'd stroke him a check right now and haul it off. He hemmed and hawed, but I told him that selling big ticket items on ebay is a hit or miss situation. I sold two jetskis twice on ebay, and neither time did the buyer show up. :(
I think I got a helluva deal, granted I've got more than that in it now, but I could have just rebuilt the tranny and called it good. I would have had $10,350.00 in it at that point. :)
NOW YOU ARE TALKING!!!!!!!!!! I booked a cabin at Lake George a while back in the hopes some of the board members would take myself and the wife for a spin, but never wanted to ask for fear of imposing. I figured I would bring the bike up and we could get away, if someone offered us a ride that would only be a bonus. Either way I will get to see some Donzi's in person instead of lusting after the pics. The deal you got is what I want. Honestly if the boat is built well enough than I won't ever get rid of it and refurbishing it along the way won't be so bad. I have long winters in CT to work on her. I don't really care about resale if there isn't a future sale. Know what I mean.

peregrine
04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Another lurker here that's really glad this topic came up. But so far most of the talk has been about power/drives and hull design/geometry.
What about the interior dimensions? I notice the Minx has arm rests and cup holders where the 22C doesn't? Is there a difference in leg room (front and rear)? What about storage? Are there any other real tangible differences besides drivetrain, hull, weight?
So far from what I've come across on Ebay, Boat Trader, Craigslist, and here, the 22Cs have all had big blocks. The difference is drives: some (newer? what year did they start?) have Bravos, mid-late 80s have TRS, and some got King Cobras (early 90s?). The Minx got SBCs, the "option" being the 320EFI/Alpha SS package. I'm curious how the performance of the Alpha SS differs from std Alpha?
Thanks everyone,
Michael
Yeah, what he said! A member said he liked teh Minx's armrest and throttle position. He said it was easier to control, for him at least.

Dr. Dan
04-10-2007, 11:18 PM
NOW YOU ARE TALKING!!!!!!!!!! I booked a cabin at Lake George a while back in the hopes some of the board members would take myself and the wife for a spin, but never wanted to ask for fear of imposing. I figured I would bring the bike up and we could get away, if someone offered us a ride that would only be a bonus. Either way I will get to see some Donzi's in person instead of lusting after the pics. The deal you got is what I want. Honestly if the boat is built well enough than I won't ever get rid of it and refurbishing it along the way won't be so bad. I have long winters in CT to work on her. I don't really care about resale if there isn't a future sale. Know what I mean.

I will be in Lake George...introduce yourself...and I will be happy to take you and your wife for a ride.... if you have specific questions...they will be easier answered with the Donzi choices available in Lake George.

I am amazed how many times the word "Economy or Good Mileage " comes up in this thread.... I have never , ever thought of how good my fuel economy was going to be in a boat! Let alone my boat... its the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of (in a Donzi) unless you are using your boat for daily transportation for work. I drive over 70,000 miles a year in my suburban and again...I don't care about economy as much as functionality for the purpose I am using the vehicle for! And presto chango.... the same applies to the 22 Classic I drive .... I want performance and reliability... I have both... I like it...if I go easy ....hey it's economical....if I go hard.... it's not.... BFD?

Who really cares...these are friggin Donzi's not Volkswagons... I think the Minx is a great Donzi, I love all the Classics...hell I love boats period. The finite opinions of the Anal Retentative Donzi Officionados are just that...opinions... these guys all know what they are talking about...but my God...lighten up and grab a Beer... get out on the water and enjoy your boats...that's what there made for...not bench racing on a Computer!

Ok ...I'm done... where's the Popcorn?

Doc of Subtle Ojectiveness :wink:

LKSD
04-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Err, then there's the kick in the pants a BBC Minx gives ya :) :)

Poodle, is that Gilberts in the keys that I spy in the back ground?? :D Jamie

peregrine
04-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks Doc. I will look for you. We are staying at the Treasure Cove.
I never paid attention to fuel economy either. I am just not sure if I will need a big block. A 383 might be enough for me. I want the extra feet for when I am in the salt and it is rough. That is why I lean towards a 22C.
OK here's what I am looking for in a boat.
1. Something I can tow behind my truck because I am not renting a slip
2. Something that I can drop into a lake and ski or tube behind
3. Gotta be Sexy and Donzi has that hands down
4. Confident when I hit the LI sound and off the coast of CT and RI
5. A boat that I won't want to get rid of. I like buying toys once and keeping them in my stable
6. Not big, as the wife puts it, "I don't want ALL of our friends on the boat"
7. If I wanted a head and bed I would buy a houseboat
8. Something I can afford now and dump lots more into later and not overbuild the boat, like a hotrod.
This all sounds like a 22C from what I can tell. Now I just need to scrap up the money. I started the thread to see if the Minx was a viable option since I am seeing them in the 10-15k range, but 22C's occasionally go in the range if I am at the right place, right time deal. Not buying this season anyway, if I am lucky we will be in the fall. So how the bonuses go at work this year. Our fiscal year usually presents itself in Sept, so I will know more then on what funds I will have available.
That's my story!
Dave Reed

gcarter
04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Economy.........
Is where you don't have to be towed the last five miles to the next fuel dock.:wink:
When you know there's a run of more than 100 miles, you know you don't have to plan a fill up and disguise it as a potty break.:eek!: You know your wife is going to be the fall guy only so many times.

BERTRAM BOY
04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Peregrine,
Where in CT are you?

Dr. Dan
04-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Economy.........
Is where you don't have to be towed the last five miles to the next fuel dock.:wink:
When you know there's a run of more than 100 miles, you know you don't have to plan a fill up and disguise it as a potty break.:eek!: You know your wife is going to be the fall guy only so many times.

:eek!: George...Last year I ran the Rock the Bay Poker Run....I was running with Ed Schumacher and Kim his wife, both of us in our 22 Classics....we ran with some ridiculous Big Boy Toys.... we both refueled before we headed back on the return run.... as soon as that gauge starts bouncing from the 1/2 full mark, I head for a fuel dock, the other boats were not interested in our fuel economy....they were shocked to see us both running with them....I am sure they woulda been just as impressed seeing a Minx... we ran in consistent 3-4' Chop...and because it was consistent...it was pretty good running. Even I was impressed with how well our boats did running in that Mix of Boats...of course the starts between card stops are always a Cluster... but once everybody got spread out into their own running lanes....it was pretty cool.

Everytime I see the big powerboats with the Bling and Horsepower out the WaZooooo, I think how fortunate I am to have a nice turn key 75mph boat that can in alot of cases ...scratch the itch for performance boating...at a fraction of the cost of the Big Toys... its a humbling thing and a great realization....no matter what...filling my 55 gallons at any price is gonna be cheaper than the tanks on the Outerlimits and Fountains.... even the 24 Baja that ran in that run was baffeled we were running with the Pace Boat for our leg of the run...over 60 boats...and only two 22 Classics... we stood out, in a quite and understated way, we both earned the respect of alot of Big Boat Owners that weekend, I can assure you!

In a Donzi, it's all good!:wink:

Doc of Money Where His Mouth Is!!! :smash:

peregrine
04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Peregrine,
Where in CT are you?
I live in Watertown and work in Southington. Glastonbury is near Hartford, right? I left CT when I was 18 and only moved back a few years ago so I don't know where everything is.

BERTRAM BOY
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Huh, I work in Southington too......

DonziJon
04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
The wife and I took the Minx out to Block Island from Newport once when we first got it. Havn't been out there since. Don't feel like pounding the snot out of my boat or myself. Getting too old for that kind of treatment. :bonk:

Connecticut River from the I-95 "Baldwin" Bridge up to Hartford is nice. There's a real nice launch ramp on the west side, "under" the bridge. Couple of places along the way to stop for lunch where the BIG boats stop to show off what's under the hatch. Speed limit on the river in the summer is 35 and winter is 45. Numerous no wake zones. Get a river chart from "Defender" in Waterford. Nice, Scenic and Comfortable cruise of about 80 miles up and back. John

peregrine
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Is the water really that bad off the coast here? If it is, it kind of changes my reason for buying a Donzi. I assumed these 22's could handle some rough. I would like to get out to the block and Montauk Pt. The CT river may be nice, but it doesnt have a huge draw for me. I would rather go to Candlewood lake or Zoar, much closer.

peregrine
04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Huh, I work in Southington too......
PM sent....

DonziJon
04-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Is the water really that bad off the coast here? If it is, it kind of changes my reason for buying a Donzi. I assumed these 22's could handle some rough. I would like to get out to the block and Montauk Pt. The CT river may be nice, but it doesnt have a huge draw for me. I would rather go to Candlewood lake or Zoar, much closer.

I've beeen "sailing" in this area for almost 40 years. Had a 32 foot sailboat. In the summer::: Draw an imaginary line on the chart from Watch Hill to the southwest corner of Block Island. WEST of the line is Long Island Sound...."Sailors" call it the Dead Sea. EAST of the line, almost like clockwork, the wind kicks up anytime after noon and can blow 15-20. This is some of the best "sailing" in the world. Depending on which way the tide is running in LI Sound, say against the wind, a real nice chop is set up.

When this happens you will get wet in the Minx.... going about 23MPH, tabs UP, so as to keep the bow up HIGH Enough to keep from "dipping" the bow into a wave. Plenty of salt spray all over the upholstery in the back seat. Salt crystals absorb moisture, even after it has dried...sort of like a "Salt Shaker" on the dinner table during a humid day in summer. You put Rice in the salt shaker to absorb the moisture. The upolstery gets salt down in the stitching of the cushions and then into the foam stuffing.

"Getting Caught" OUT, in Block Island Sound in a LITTLE Classic is serious business. A couple of GREEN waves over the bow and you could be in trouble. You can get the picture. Long Island Sound is much more benign in the summer. You might get away with going out to Montalk from CT if you pay attention to the weather report...and go out and back in the morning before the wind gets up.

The problem is the Classics are not meant to "Go To Sea" and are Not "Self Bailing". A bilge pump or a bucket IS NOT considered self bailing. :bonk:

Don't let this deter you from getting a Classic. Just be aware of it's limitations. :cool!: :cool!: John

BigGrizzly
04-11-2007, 07:26 PM
George I do see what you are saying. These different points relate into handling ,speed and ride. The similary is they are V hulls with step lift(strakes) If the sterns were the same with and one is 2 feet longer the action in the water would still be different. Throw this into the equation displacement of hull or better yet whetted surface. Point is they do handle different. p€oint I am getting at is all this is about preference My suggestion, Mr falcon, is pick the one that is pleasing to your eye and or wallet. Get one and enjoy your self, you won't be sorry. the two best feelings are when you buy a Donzi and the day you buy another. the two worst days are the two days between the old and new one. Now go out and get one!!! there isn't anymore to be said that hasn's been said so far.

Cuda
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Grizz, you are 100% correct, but it's been a lively conversation about boats. Very refreshing. :)

gcarter
04-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey Mr Big Bird.....
Just so you know, this is how my former Minx would perform;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24251&d=1159754530

It wasn't the fastest boat there as I was 100-200 HP shy of some others.
But you gotta admit this looks like fun!:eek!:
These boats have a huge fun factor...just look at Byrons grin while riding shotgun.

Also the cockpit length is the same as a 22C but a little wider. The storage is different as the ski locker is different.

gcarter
04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow, nice photoshop :D :D :D
Yes....I've been taking lessons:wink:

FUELPOWERED
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
George,
Congrats on getting near 4 MPG w/ the Minx. A boat has to be tuned pretty sharp to run as efficient as your old stone did. Paying attention to fuel consumption while obtaining maximum output is something overlooked much too often. Prior to having her original mill rebuilt to stock specs, my 1970 GTO would pull down 18 or better on the highway regularly.

peregrine
04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Now go out and get one!!! there isn't anymore to be said that hasn's been said so far.
Unless you are contributing to the Dave wants a Donzi fund than this food for thought until the funds are available. Which right now is 6-12 months away. I appreciate everyone's patience in answering my ignorant of boats, let alone Donzi's ?'s. Thank you and more ?'s to follow until I have a good idea of something, what that is I don't know.

BigGrizzly
04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Cuda your right this was a good thread and no one got mad cool.