PDA

View Full Version : Should I paint or re-gel my classic?

Greg Martin
04-09-2007, 08:41 AM
After a mechanical restoration of my 1965 16 I am now going to re-finish it. Presently there is old cracked paint on top of the orrigional gel. Should I have the boat re-gelled or painted? I hear that modern paint may be the way to go. The boat will be sitting in the water for the season as I have no lift.

Carl C
04-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Most of the new Classics are coming from the factory with the color painted over white gel. I think it is more resistant to sun damage and if it's good enough for the factory..............it might be the way to go.

realbold
04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm sure you're gonna get conflicting opinions here, but I also say paint.

98shovel
04-09-2007, 01:03 PM
greg ,use a good auto paint imron,base clear urathane from the chine up if u plan on leaving it sitting in water for more than a couple of days at a time use a marine bottom paint that has resistance for submersion most auto paints say that their not for submersion use.
i just finished mine and did the whole boat in imrom and will be in water for a week or so at a time

slamdry
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
i would re-gel, i painted my last boat and the paint didnt hold up as well as it i thought it would, the gel is more durable. (my opinion)

gcarter
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
On my next boat, I was thinking of re-gelling the sides and painting the deck and transom.
My Minx had painted sides and deck stripe. The painted stripe was almost worth its weight in gold as it always looked good. Same way with the transom.

mphatc
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Bottom first

Petit now makes a self ablative bottom paint in white, antfouling and supposedly good enough for 70+ mph applications . .
Is is a semi gloss and applies easily, is also tough enough for trailering.

My inquiry was for a Boston Whaler that I have that sits all summer in a pond water harbor, gets very brown underneath and slimy . . and consequently slow, and my Corsican which is tralered every weekend. expect this to last approximately 2-3 years.

I for one can't stand the nice lines of a boat destoyed by an ugly coat of bottom paint that doesn't flow or match the boat .

For your topsides . . PAINT . . for one you already have a painted boat, going back to gel coat will require a complete strip to the base gelcoat .

Either way you should take the extra time to address any stress fractures, and they're underlying causes.

As with any paint, the quality of the final finish and how long it lasts is entirely dependant on the detail in the preparation. Surface cleaniness, and use of the proper chemical as designed, along with application by a professional is really he best way to go.

Imron is tough . as is Awlgrip . . also very toxic to apply. I can't see polyurethanes as tough.

Mario L.

98shovel
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
imron is poly most all others are acrylic