PDA

View Full Version : What the future holds for Daimler...

FUELPOWERED
04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Chrysler may not be good indeed. Apparently, the folks back home in Germany are uber-pissed at the U.S. sales tanking. Feel sorry for all the U.A.W. folks working here in some capacity. I wonder what the outcome will be.

Carl C
04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
It'll be pretty cool if Kirk Kerkorian gets it.:convertib:

roadtrip se
04-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Chrysler may not be good indeed. Apparently, the folks back home in Germany are uber-pissed at the U.S. sales tanking. Feel sorry for all the U.A.W. folks working here in some capacity. I wonder what the outcome will be.
What is really interesting is the fact that just a few years ago, the Germans were being bolstered by the profits coming back to the homeland from the U.S. Funny how things change, when the cards are turned the other direction.

As for the UAW, anybody who picks DCX up is going to have to deal with the pension, retirement, and medical benefit issues that the union brings to the equation. The UAW liability piece is what drives the true value of this company into the tank. The pieces and brands are worth more than the whole.

Don't hold your breath on KK. Anybody with a shred of memory knows that Kirk only does what is good for Kirk, so the UAW and every other stakeholder in Chrysler had better watch their back for this guy. He is a bad dream that just won't go away in Detroit.

Chrysler aside, the next 24 months are going to be interesting ones for the UAW. I did find a glimmer of hope that the Georgetown Camry plant just turned them out in an election attempt. They understood that the union offered them nothing more than they already had, which is great wages and benefits without all of the BS.

I love this business!

Pismo
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Too bad Lee I. is not in on the bidding this time. He must be too old by now. He was shopping for it a while back. He would rescue it again.

FISHIN SUCKS
04-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I remember one of my economics profs from my old home of Ball State University said that Chrysler should have never been saved back in the '80's when it had it's problems then. He said that from an economic perspective, the other auto manufacturer's would have prospered by meeting the demand with more supply; guns and butter I guess. Not so sure that I totally agreed with him, but oh well.