PDA

View Full Version : Need water pump for HM 351

YoAnthony
04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
I pulled the crank driven pump off today. The rubber spacer is missing and the drive dogs are shot.

Does anyone have a source for replacement parts? I think I need the pump, rubber and harmonic balancer mounted drive.

Thanks!

gcarter
04-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Here's a source I've used....

http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com/rawwater.cfm

BigGrizzly
04-08-2007, 06:56 PM
HOLD it!!! That star is just a normal hydraulic coupling damper uou can get it from Northern tool at www.northern.com. HM never reinvented the weel just found ways to use things that were already in existence. The impeller is a normal jabsco item too

YoAnthony
04-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks George and Griz. I will contact the company to get new parts and get some extra rubber hydraulic couplers to change before it wears all the parts out, like I have now! Hopefully, I can get the piece that bolts to the harmonic balancer and a new pump.

YoAnthony
04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Found raw water pump replacement for HM 351.
I emailed and called around today some of the folks on links found in the archives on this board. George, you guy was most helpful. I spoke directly with Jack Chamberlain.

The old Jabsco 11850 pumps are not available. Jack has a crank mounted Johnson pump that bolts directly to the harmonic balancer with three bolts. He says that this setup is used for Mastercraft ski boats. It has higher capacity than the Jabsco. Only problem is that the inlet and outlet size is 1 1/4. The Jabsco was 1 inch, so I may have to do some adapting.

Here is what you need and Jack is shipping it all to me:
Johnson Pump - $129
Bracket for ford 351 - $35
Bolt kit - $10

I will reply back to this post after install with an update.

vonkamp
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Interesting. I have a Johnson pump and the bolt holes do not line up on my newer 302 engine. I called Jack and he said the pumps will only work on the 3 bolt harmonic balancers. Mine is a 4 bolt so he is going to see if he has a 3 bolt balancer for me. Hope that fixes my problem. :crossfing:

BigGrizzly
04-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Antony, that pump is still available. H&M just took the pump backing ogg and screwed it to a 1/4 piece of steel and mad that hydraulic coupler out of common parts. when you describe it or say H&M they say it is not made any more. I got the same story so I took the pump im and asked what looks like this, Problem solved. However I do Like Georges pump better. Yo can always neck it down.

YoAnthony
04-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Okay,
I got Georges pump, bracket and bolt kit this week. The bracket does not work. George said they used this pump and bracket on Mastercrafts with ford inboards. With the timing cover and engine mount arrangement on the HM 351, the bracket does not work.

However, I do have the 3 bolt harmonic balancer and the pump does bolt up nicely. Somebody told me that you don't need to support the pump if you have strong wire reinforced hoses to keep the pump from spinning. I would feel better with a bracket of some kind. So I picled up some 2 inch angle iron from Home Depot. Basically here is what I did:
1. Remove the old pump and steel plate arrangement. It is attached by 4 long, maybe 7 inch long bolts and spacers. There are two long spacers on the port side of the plate and since the alternator bracket is mounted to the two bolts on the starboard side, four spacers on the other side. Two spacers between the timing cover and the alternator bracket and two between the alternator bracket and the pump plate.
2. Mount the Johnson pump using the 3 allen head bolts from the kit.
3. Fashon a bracket out of 2 inch angle iron ( I will show picture in next post) that sits above the alternator bracket and bolts using two shorter (purchased) bolts and lock washers.
4. I cut a "fork" in the other side of the angle iron that accepts a bolt that screws into the side of the Johnson pump. This allows the pump to move somewhat, saving stress on the shaft bearings while holding the pump from rotating.
5. Using brass couplers from Home Depot, rig up the fittings necessary for a sturdy clean connection to the Johnson pump.

I will take photos and part numbers of the fittings required for the job and post it soon.

MOP
04-17-2007, 09:17 PM
When you hook up the hoses especially wire wound there must be no tension fore or aft on the pump or you will kill the bearing in a hurry. Route and secure your hoses so they are aimed right at the fittings, It is a good idea to run the bracket to keep it from twisting against the hoses but with wire hose mounted properly it will work Ok. When you start it up make sure it is not a wiggler that will shorten hose and bearing life, if done right they are the best pump and it eliminates a belt.

Phil

mphatc
04-18-2007, 05:50 AM
I to am running this pump with my SBF . . but as I have a Ford Motorsport
hub I am able to run the four bolts set up. My pump drive flange was drilled to accept either 2 or 4 bolts.

I've had 2 difficulties. First the pump did not mount concentrically to the crank hub, and second, more importantly the pump impeller cover leaked at sustained high rpm use, spraying water all over the engine compartment while still delivering enough flow to cool the engine.

At high rpm there was enough pressure to push the teflon gasket out from under the front cover. This cover was made from 1/16" thich brass stock and is not strong enough to retain the gasket. Had the gasket pushed out all the way the cover screws would have been loose and ultimately vibrated out leaving me with a massive cooling flow water leak! This will leak even when not running, ie; while docked, as the crankshaft center line is below water level . . .

I have since made a 1/4" thick cover with an o-ring to solve the problem. While going through the work to make one, I set this up so they can be CNC'd and I will have these available if anyone else needs one.

George, you had inquired for one directly a long time ago, I never replied, sorry, it's been a very busy winter and I just got these back a week ago from the machine shop.

Concentric mounting, I have made up an aluminum ring that pilots into both pieces, this to is available if anyone needs it. Note; IRC the Ford OE lower crank v-belt pulley that accepts a single belt has a pilot ring to align the pump drive flange. I was using a 2 belt lower pulley and am now using a serpentine belt pulley, neither of these have any pilot to align, hence my fabricated pilot ring.

Mario L.

gcarter
04-18-2007, 06:38 AM
I to am running this pump with my SBF . . but as I have a Ford Motorsport
hub I am able to run the four bolts set up. My pump drive flange was drilled to accept either 2 or 4 bolts.
I've had 2 difficulties. First the pump did not mount concentrically to the crank hub, and second, more importantly the pump impeller cover leaked at sustained high rpm use, spraying water all over the engine compartment while still delivering enough flow to cool the engine.
At high rpm there was enough pressure to push the teflon gasket out from under the front cover. This cover was made from 1/16" thich brass stock and is not strong enough to retain the gasket. Had the gasket pushed out all the way the cover screws would have been loose and ultimately vibrated out leaving me with a massive cooling flow water leak! This will leak even when not running, ie; while docked, as the crankshaft center line is below water level . . .
I have since made a 1/4" thick cover with an o-ring to solve the problem. While going through the work to make one, I set this up so they can be CNC'd and I will have these available if anyone else needs one.
George, you had inquired for one directly a long time ago, I never replied, sorry, it's been a very busy winter and I just got these back a week ago from the machine shop.
Concentric mounting, I have made up an aluminum ring that pilots into both pieces, this to is available if anyone needs it. Note; IRC the Ford OE lower crank v-belt pulley that accepts a single belt has a pilot ring to align the pump drive flange. I was using a 2 belt lower pulley and am now using a serpentine belt pulley, neither of these have any pilot to align, hence my fabricated pilot ring.
Mario L.
Mario;
I like what you've done. I know Baron will probably want the adapter piece for sure as we're about to put his boat back together.

maddad
04-18-2007, 11:10 AM
This pump is on a SBC now, but has a universal mount on it and was the same one I used on my 351c Ford.
The pipe and adaptors get the hose to the right size. The short hose section isolates any viberation. When running, the pump/pipe assy. doesn't shake or move any more than a valve cover or exhaust riser.(the parts you lean on to reach down there)
When it was on the Ford, which had a circulating pump, the pipe was a bit differant, but the same idea.

vonkamp
04-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Mario,
that sounds like just what I need. :yes: PM sent.