PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic tongue weight ??

Zinger
04-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Hello'

What is the average tongue weight for a 22 classic with a BB , bravo , and full tank of gas. I'm showing almost 400 pounds which is to much. What are most of the net running for tongue weight. Thanks Jeff

Tony
04-08-2007, 01:53 PM
You're not too far over. Most recommendations say 10-15% of the total weight of the rig. Maybe 250-300 lbs?

:beer:

Carl C
04-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I had to modify my trailer to get the hull completely on the bunks. I moved the front post and boat forward. I think I'm about 400 lbs. also. I know I can't lift it!

MDonziM
04-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm with Tony. I can barely budge mine without risking splitting something... guessing ~ 300 lbs. I dont know if it makes a difference but my trailer also has surge brakes.

Pismo
04-08-2007, 06:17 PM
3700lbs for the boat + 1000 for trailer = 4700lbs x 10% = 470lbs. So 400, right on.

sub-bass
04-09-2007, 05:33 PM
3700lbs for the boat + 1000 for trailer = 4700lbs x 10% = 470lbs. So 400, right on.

Does anyone think this is a safe amount of downforce?
From my enquiries on this matter with trailer builders (I have a Randalls VIP with a 22C w/ 7.4l) as I was concerned about the effect the tralier/boat/full-tank combo had on the car and handling - everyone of them said that no more than 220lbs of downforce is acceptable NO MATTER WHAT. Optimum being between 170-220lbs. I have now shifted the boat back approx 6 incheson the trailer and it's actually still a little heavy as I can't lift it at all and I'm 220lbs 6'4".
I have chocked the v-rubber and now strapped the laterall and forwardmotion to prevent movement on the trailer as a temp measure until I weld either a new postion or extension on winch mount.
Anyone agree with those numbers out of interest??

Carl C
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
My rig tows fine with lots of tongue weight. If you have a tow package then you should have heavy duty rear suspension which keeps the truck from sagging. Make sure the back of your boat is resting on the bunks or you'll end up with a hook.

sub-bass
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
What's a hook? Do you mean flip the trailer etc backwards? I'm about 5-6" over rear of the skids..

Carl C
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
What's a hook? Do you mean flip the trailer etc backwards? I'm about 5-6" over rear of the skids..You can't let your boat hang off the bunks like that. It WILL develop a hook, which is caused when the back of the boat sags over time. It's better to put it back and deal with the weight with beefier springs if need be. Maybe you could move the bunks back but I couldn't on my trailer.

sub-bass
04-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh OK, thanks. Didn't realise the fibreglass would change shape like that through lack of support. I wonder why Randalls would design a trailer like that? They seem to be the main Donzi trailer manufacturers from what I've seen in pics here and there.

Thanks again

DonziJon
04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I think correct tongue weight may be VERY dependant on the tow vehicle and it's rear suspension.. Are we towing with a Dual Wheel F-350..or a Ford Ranger. The weight bearing capability of the tow vehicle is the controlling factor. I believe the hooked up rig....whatever the combination is, should show the tow vehicle "slightly" depressed in the rear and the tongue of the trailer slightly "depressed" as well. Obviously, a Dually F-350 isn't going to move with a 22C on the back.

After all is said and done: "THE" Desciding factor is HOW DOES IT TOW on your vehicle? If it ain't right, it will tell you. If it's a little squirelly, add some weight to the tongue by moving the boat foreward on the trailer. :bonk: John

DonziJon
04-09-2007, 06:44 PM
What's a hook? Do you mean flip the trailer etc backwards? I'm about 5-6" over rear of the skids..

A Hook MAY develop over time (Years) if the boat is not supported properly on the trailer... over its FULL length. Essentially it's a SAG, or "drooping" of the A$$ end of the boat beyond the rear most support on the trailer. Donzis are pretty "Stiffly" built ....particularly in the aft sections under the engine and I think the hook question may be a little over blown. The HOOK may even have been Built In to keep the bow down to prevent "blowover". I guess there will be some who will dispute this. John

RickR
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
+1 on level trailer and all tires should have same pressure.

DonCig
04-10-2007, 01:56 AM
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/support/tips.php

I have nothing but good things to say about this product.
I tow a Classic 18 with a steel dual axle trailer with a 3/4 Ton Dodge Ram; and I was towing the same boat with a Dodge Magnum. Both times using this equalizer hitch.

It works and it makes for a safer tow rig combination.

Don

Carl C
04-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Here is a link to the thread where I discussed the issue of the boat hanging off the bunks: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43407 Also, several months ago I was watching the performance boat show on the Water Channel on thursday night and Reggie Fountain was on there and he addressed this very issue and he said that storing a boat hanging off the bunks will definately ruin the bottom of the boat. That was all I needed to hear! Some folks don't care much for Reggie, but I don't think anyone could deny that he knows a thing or two about boats.

Sweet little 16
04-13-2007, 03:44 PM
there are some good facts here and some that are way off

correct tonque weight is 5-7% of the total load ( of everything in and on the trailer)not 10-15% hence if you look at a class 3 hitch the max weight is 5000lbs and the max tonque weight is 500 lbs so you have to stay under 10%( figuring they gave you some wiggle room), and a fixed tonque weight of 220 lbs doesn't work once you are up over 5000 lbs the key is level on the trailer and the tow vehicle , and too much tonque weight leads to poor handling of the tow vehicle and too little leads to fishtailing especially on single axle setups and uneven tire wear on tandems, and correct towing tonque weight has nothing to do with weather you can lift the nose up or not.
as said before
tire inflation is very important on all the tires tow vehicle trailer and all spares
plus read your owners manual the load capacities on most vehicles change when towing so you can't load the tow vehicle to it's max GVW and then tow something at it's max towing rating well you can but stopping it is another thing.

Tony
04-13-2007, 09:32 PM
there are some good facts here and some that are way off
correct tonque weight is 5-7% of the total load ( of everything in and on the trailer)not 10-15%

This site (http://www.etrailer.com/faq/trailer-towing-tips.asp) recommends a tongue weight of 10-15%.

Sherline Products, which I think includes Loadmaster trailers, has a nice Trailer Towing Guide (http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm#refrn9) with the following information on it.
(They also offer a slick looking tongue weight scale, pretty reasonably priced at $110.)

Single Axle: 10% minimum/15% maximum
Tandem Axle: 9% to 15%
Travel Trailer: 11% to 12%
5th Wheel: 15% to 25%

Here (http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=26359) is another site that suggests a tongue weight of 10 - 15% of the gross trailer weight...

Here is a BoatUS link (http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/upkeep/backyard.asp), though, recommending 5-10%...so go figure!

I'm pretty comfortable with 10%, although I do think it matters what kind of tow vehicle you have, as well as how many trailer axles.
I'm at 10% tongue weight and my Duramax 2500 pulls my 22' classic like a dream.

:beer:

Barry Eller
04-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Here is a link to the thread where I discussed the issue of the boat hanging off the bunks: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43407 Also, several months ago I was watching the performance boat show on the Water Channel

Hey Carl, what happened to the Water Channel? It is off the air on Dish Network.

The most annoying result of not enough tongue weight is the "bouncing" of the tow vehicle. Also the trailer can start "swaying", very dangerous. I saw a SUV and boat that had rolled on the interstate as a result of improper "balance". It wasn't a pretty sight...

BUIZILLA
04-14-2007, 06:30 AM
some of those things showing on the BUS site are not right.... imagine 40' TOTAL length in District of Columbia, **** my frickin coach tow vehicle is 41'...
the 60' showing for Fla should be 65' too..

Carl C
04-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Hey Carl, what happened to the Water Channel? It is off the air on Dish Network.
The most annoying result of not enough tongue weight is the "bouncing" of the tow vehicle. Also the trailer can start "swaying", very dangerous. I saw a SUV and boat that had rolled on the interstate as a result of improper "balance". It wasn't a pretty sight... I didn't know that:( I'll check it out. Last thursday the Red Wings were on. Did you guys get your towing guide in Powerboat mag? It says tongue weight should be 6-10%. It also says "....bunks should extend just past the transom so the boat's running surface doesn't lack support in the heavy aft end and develop a hook". Yes, the rig must run level and mine does.