PDA

View Full Version : Yippy-kai-yay Rebuild

Barry Eller
04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
First of all, Happy Easter.

I'm going to try to document my progression on the camshaft and valvetrain replacement on my 502. Click on this link and it will bring you up speed as to why I' am rebuilding....

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48419

Getting started and having the proper equipment sometimes is the hard part.

To pull my engine, I constructed a chain hoist mount on an overhead beam in my carport. I sandwiched the beam with 18"X4" 1/4" aluminum plates. 1/2" bolts and 2 1/2" 2200 lbs eye bolts. 2000 lbs chain for the hoist hook to attach.

A tech at work showed me the AC Delco engine leveler, this tool will make alignment when removing and reinstalling much easer than just a chain.

Air compressor for my air rachet and impact wrench.

Engine stand of course.

My next step will be to remove the outdrive. This may happen today, but its cold and raining here today. Building the hoist mount this morning just about whipped my "out of shape" ass! Drilling 6 holes through a total of 1/2" aluminum and 4" of "Old Southern Pine", standing on a ladder...whew!

Stay tuned...and again Happy Easter from Denise and I!

gold-n-rod
04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm not structural engineer, but how sure are you of the carport beam from which you plan to lift?

I might suggest that you augment that horizontal span with two vertical 4x6's between the beam and the ground. If you place them on either side of the boat, they should help support the load. Best of all, they are moveable, so once the motor is out, you can get them out of the way of further work.

2 cents.

Barry Eller
04-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm not structural engineer, but how sure are you of the carport beam from which you plan to lift?
Thanks for your concern. I think I'm OK with what I am doing. The beam is 4" X 8". Supported by a thru bolted galvanize pipe anchored to the carport slab. The other end is steel cradled to the outer supporting wall of the house. The length of those 4'X6' beams would be have to be 16' each! I had already thought of that. I will use galvanized pipe if I need additional reinforcement. My mounting point is off center towards the strongest support, the galvanized pipe support.

The out drive weighs less than 500 lbs, the 502 only weighs approximately 700 lbs. The weight will only be there a very short period of time.

My buddy Dan (p729lws) is an engineer and suggested the aluminum sandwich to spread the load and the eyes to be on both sides, so as not to be pulling from one side and twisting the beam.

Barry Eller
04-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Denise wants me to put up the extra galvanized pipe for safety...
I'll get the pipe tomorrow.
So, now I'm leveling things out with my favorite leveler...
Seems to be listing to Port...:beer:

BigGrizzly
04-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Barry done the same thing used 2 2x8 sandwitched together and was fine

MOP
04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
That looks like a "Not to Worry" set up! Waiting to see how the rest goes,should put a grin on your puss this spring!!

MOP
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
OooooPs" forgot you "Spouthern Boys" don't have a spring!!! Will still enjoy the out come!!

Barry Eller
04-08-2007, 11:39 PM
OooooPs" forgot you "Spouthern Boys" don't have a spring!!! Will still enjoy the out come!!

Hey MOP, we have spring...'Tis the day before "Hurricane Season"!

Barry Eller
04-13-2007, 06:04 AM
I removed the King Cobra last night. I was amazed how easy it was. Drained the gear oil, put a lifting eye in the dipstick hole, removed the trim cylinders from the pivot rod, removed 6 nuts, removed the shift pin, had Denise pull the chain on the hoist, and it was off! Took me 40 minutes!

The 502 will come out this weekend...

Thanks MINXGUY for the assembly lube!

Cuda
04-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Barry done the same thing used 2 2x8 sandwitched together and was fine
That's exactly what I thought about doing in my garage.

Cuda
04-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey MOP, we have spring...'Tis the day before "Hurricane Season"!
Bite your tongue! :)

Barry Eller
04-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I pulled the 502 out this morning.

After being sick this week from a spider bite, I felt good today and pulled the 502. I was bitten by a spider from the "Recluse" family. I could not confirm it was a "Brown Recluse" because I "slapped & squashed" the bastard. Antibiotics and tetanus shot was the Doctors treatment. I have a "Cigarette Burn" looking, festered sore on my leg, I won't post photos of it...GROSS.

The hoist mount I constructed is enough to lift the entire boat off the trailer, so engine removal is now a easy thing to do.

All set to rebuild a "BAD ASS" 502.

YIPPY-KAI-YAY

Barry Eller
05-01-2007, 05:44 AM
It was Christmas in Gulf Breeze, Florida yesterday. UPS dropped a few trinkets on my door step.

I am missing my engine gasket kit, valve spring kit, and my roller lifters. Hopefully, they will be in soon.

I had a chipped tooth on my flywheel ring gear. The local automotive machine shop that all the auto dealers use fixed me right up. I know the manager there, he took care of me. He personally will do my valve job and set up my springs. I'll take him the camshaft profile #'s and the heads as soon as the springs arrive. He wants me to bring in my intake also, something about "port matching"?

Here is a before and after photo of my flywheel, and some of my "Musical Instruments"! I can't wait to hear the "Comp flute"! It may be louder than the Donzi Les Paul and Marshall amp!

zelatore
05-02-2007, 01:53 PM
He wants me to bring in my intake also, something about "port matching"?

Not sure if that was a joke or not, but port matching is worth doing. It's free horsepower. Shouldn't take too long (you could do it yourself if you've got a compressor, a grinder, and a couple burrs). I'd say go for it - do the intake, heads (in/ex) and headers. Should be good for a few bonus ponies.

Don

Cuda
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I believe you can use the intake manifold gaskets for port matching.

SurfGreenTele
05-02-2007, 08:03 PM
New engine parts & guitar gear - doesn't get much better than that. :hyper:

What Marshall is that Barry?

MOP
05-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Ah I see you have one of those Bitchen Donzi gitars, now ? Can you play the darn thing?????

Phil

Barry Eller
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Ah I see you have one of those Bitchen Donzi gitars, now ? Can you play the darn thing?????

Phil

Yep, I can play it. I mostly play my Yamaha 12 String Acoustic.

Hey SurfGreen. The amp is a small Marshall Lead 12 practice amp. I'm borrowing it until I decide what I really want. Too many dollars going in the Donzi now to get a Double Stack Marshall!!!

Still waiting on my valve springs to take the heads to the machine shop.

Yes, I'll be port matching heads, intake and exhaust. May as well do it while the damn thing is apart!

Barry Eller
05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Here is a good article on port matching for anyone that doesn't know what it means...
http://www.automedia.com/Optimize/Your/Air/Flow/pht20020801pm/1

Barry Eller
06-03-2007, 06:54 AM
I picked up the short block from the machine shop Thursday. Today I start assembly of the 502. The machine shop balanced and polished the crankshaft, balanced and polished the pistons and rods. Clevite 77 H-Series bearings and Moly rings. New freeze plugs and rear main seal. Camshaft journals line-bored (align-honed actually) new cam bearings. Heads and Stealth intake ports matched.
All valve train components are Competition Cams products.
It's going to be a long day, but fun...I hope...

Barry Eller
06-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Just to show how big the bore on a 502 is...

42 oz juice can...:bonk:

p729lws
06-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Just to show how big the bore on a 502 is...
42 oz juice can...:bonk:

I was planing on hanging at P'cola beach today before I saw this photo!:pimp: I knew BE and Denise probably had some Vodka in the freezer to go w/ the pineapple juice in the block so Laura and I crashed the motor building party to make sure his 22 doesn't get on the water before mine...

Thanks for the good times:cool:

Dan

Barry Eller
06-08-2007, 10:29 PM
My Dr. buddy came over this evening with his dial indicator and cam degreeing wheel and set up my camshaft. Now I can get back to work assembling the engine. My new Comp roller timing chain and gears are adjustable. Pretty neat the way you can get it to exactly 110.0 intake center line with the adjustment eccentric.
Here are the specs on my camshaft.

Barry Eller
06-10-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm done for the day and I'm having a Umbrella Drink. Assembly started 8:00AM CDST.
Here are photos of progress. I even had my wife Denise working on the painting of the bilge and underside of the engine hatch. God lover her! She puts up with me.
I re-sized photos to the small size to make them easier to load. Bottom end is sealed up and complete. Heads are gasketed, new ARP headbolts are in and torqued to the first round pass. I'll finish torquing the heads tomorrow night and install the lifters, push-rods, and rockers on my next day off, Tuesday.
Temps in the mid-90's today, real-feel temp...105. I came in and stopped work around 1:00 PM. Too hot!
Time for another umbrella drink and watch some NASCAR.
P.S. The Wren's nest in the hole for thru prop exhaust, (Don't have it) will be carefully removed before they lay eggs.

Barry Eller
06-10-2007, 05:57 PM
My "Wing man", "Lt. Dan", (p729lws) Came over to check out my progress last Sunday. Thankfully he brought along his wife Laura to keep Denise company so Dan and I could have some relief from 'WOMEN TALKING", have a cocktail and talk "GUY TALK". Dan, a Mechanical Engineer, observed a different stringer and gusset layout in my 1993 22C and his 1986 22C. My 1993 Donzi 22C was built by Chris Craft in Goshen, IN. Is there any information on the difference in these designs and Donzis' built in other factories and by different "Owners".

Another photo of Denise inspecting her bilge painting project...she is such a...even when its her own work...my wife...

p729lws
06-10-2007, 09:19 PM
That last photo is Denise trying to figure out if Barry passed out in the bilge from the paint fumes or the umbrella drinks... :jestera::beer:

Barry Eller
06-11-2007, 06:55 AM
That last photo is Denise trying to figure out if Barry passed out in the bilge from the paint fumes or the umbrella drinks... :jestera::beer:

New umbrella drink recipe; cut and deseeded watermelon chunks in the blender with a splash of Pineapple juice, Vodka and Ice. What a refreshing Smoothie! Makes for some great relaxation (sleep) in the recliner after working in the heat!:cool::yes:

Cuda
06-11-2007, 07:29 AM
New umbrella drink recipe; cut and deseeded watermelon chunks in the blender with a splash of Pineapple juice, Vodka and Ice. What a refreshing Smoothie! Makes for some great relaxation (sleep) in the recliner after working in the heat!:cool::yes:
Leave out the watermelon and pineaplle juice, and it sounds great to me. :)

What are you using for fuel delivery?

Barry Eller
06-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Leave out the watermelon and pineaplle juice, and it sounds great to me. :)
What are you using for fuel delivery?

Sometimes I only have Vodka with a teaspoon of olive juice an 2 olives...shaken, not stired.

Holley 4150...850 CFM. Wieand Stealth dual plane highrise intake. Its a syrup bucket...

Barry Eller
06-13-2007, 06:28 AM
All buttoned up. Tuesday I finished torquing the heads. Then the lifters, guide plates, rocker studs, pushrods and rockers. Pulled on the torque wrench so much my hands hurt! Pulled on the big 1/2" drive breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt in the crankshaft the last few days, I think the piston rings may be seated! Oil pan in on, intake is on.

Then I found my newest setback...valve covers no longer fit. Rocker Arm height will not allow them to seat. Solution? Ordered new polished tall ones.

Next step is to paint. I'm using DuPoint Imron. with their self etching primer. Single stage yellow. I'm going to clean the surfaces first with brake cleaner, it doesn't leave any oil film. My goal is to have it back on the water by July 4th. Wish me luck!

Here are photo's of my dogs "Spot & Chico". I too was "Dog Tired" last night. Our real-feel temps were around 105 degrees again with 95% humidity.

What is the best garage floor paint? Denise hates what I've done to our carport floor!

Barry Eller
06-17-2007, 07:02 PM
The 502 is now YELLOW. I took my engine hatch to the DuPont paint supplier so they could match the yellow stripe on the 22. They used their spectrometer to match the color, it showed up having a paint code. Freightliner Truck Yellow!

I used yellow Transtar Acrylic Urethane primer and activator. Transtar polyurethane activator and DuPont Imron polyurethane single stage paint.

One quart of Imron was $212.00. Imron activator is also $212.00 a quart. It is mixed 3 to 1 ratio. The Transtar activator was $29.00 a quart and is compatible with Imron. A NO-BRAINER there.

I used all safety precautions as this is a very dangerous material.

I'm pleased with the results.

zelatore
06-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Jealousy has a new color…and it is yellow

Although if you had just splashed that color up with no discription and asked us to guess where it came from I'd have said Caterpiller.

Cuda
06-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Jealousy has a new color…and it is yellow
Although if you had just splashed that color up with no discription and asked us to guess where it came from I'd have said Caterpiller.
Caterpiller yellow is more orangish. I know because when I had a transimission rebuilt on my Formula, it was yellow, and they used Cat Yellow on it.

I've also read that Imron isn't nearly as dangerous as it used to be.

zelatore
06-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, OK. I make the excuse that I only have one Cat powered boat in stock. Lots more Volvo (green) and lately some MTU (white). Used to run Cummins until the whole Cummins-Mercruiser thing, then Genmar dumped Cummins due to the Brunswick connection and got into bed with Volvo hot and heavy.

Barry Eller
06-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Caterpiller yellow is more orangish. I know because when I had a transimission rebuilt on my Formula, it was yellow, and they used Cat Yellow on it.
I've also read that Imron isn't nearly as dangerous as it used to be.

The yellow I have is more of a "Lemon" yellow. Imron isn't as dangerous as it used to be, but it is still nasty stuff. Never use it without wearing protection.

I painted my motor mounts, battery box, bell-housing, flywheel and remote oil filter housing and mount with the Imron. Everything else will be either polished aluminum, SS or black. Should look like a "Busy Bee" under the hatch.

I bought a quart of Imron, I used half of it. I'll use the other half quart on my stripe this fall.(I have some anchor damage on the bow stripe from the previous owner). She has these "Enhancements" that got in her way when retrieving the anchor.

Cuda
06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
The engines in my Formula are a similar color as yours. Good thing you can't really see the Cat Yellow transmission. :)

Barry Eller
06-19-2007, 01:25 AM
The engines in my Formula are a similar color as yours. Good thing you can't really see the Cat Yellow transmission. :)
Cool...we may start a new fad here...yellow motors.:)

Good thing no one will be able to see my drive coupler. It's still OMC gray...:lookaroun:

Barry Eller
06-19-2007, 04:59 PM
UPS delivered the new valve covers today. They do not have PCV holes in them. I'll take them to the machine shop tomorrow. Installed the flywheel, coupler and bellhousing. Installed the harmonic balancer and belt pulley and ARP SS intake bolts.

Barry Eller
06-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Getting closer. Too tired to do anymore today. Florida is HOT this time of year. I sprayed "Rubberised Undercoating" on the lower half of the oil pan for saltwater protection.

Now the fun part...I love it in the "Bilge". Wiring, plumbing, exhaust, mounting outdrive, Whew!

Barry Eller
07-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Whew! Long day in a 22 Classic engine bay! Denise and I bought another house (rental property) and I have been working on that way too much.
Today was spent entirely on the Donzi!
I still have a lot of wiring, oil and power steering coolers and hoses to install. Not to mention linkage, P/S pump...the list goes on...but I made a lot of progress today!
Happy Independence Day to all!

BUIZILLA
07-04-2007, 05:35 PM
looks GREAT..

ya might want to visit those kinked riser to manifold hoses though... :wink:

Cuda
07-04-2007, 05:48 PM
looks GREAT..
ya might want to visit those kinked riser to manifold hoses though... :wink:
I had the same thing when I put the new Dana exhaust on the 22. I trimmed a little off both ends, and it took the kink out.

Barry Eller
07-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I had the same thing when I put the new Dana exhaust on the 22. I trimmed a little off both ends, and it took the kink out.
I'll try that. The hoses have always had that kink... (come to think of it, so have I) but its not as closed off as it looks, never had any water flow problem. But Buizilla has called me on it, so I gotta take care of it.:cistineb:

Barry Eller
07-26-2007, 07:06 AM
I goofed...I soaked my new hydraulic lifters overnight in oil and installed them a couple weeks ago. Last Sunday, before attempting the first firing, I primed the engine with the drill tool down the distributor shaft hole to the oil pump gear. Watched the oil pressure come up on the gauge. Reinstalled the distributor and hooked up the hose and turned it over. It didn't sound right, I pulled the #1 spark plug, pulled the coil wire and grounded it, had the wife bump the starter...no compression. The lifters had pumped up and were keeping the valves open. I removed the exhaust and all linkage necessary to remove the valve covers and found the rocker arms much tighter than the 3/4 turn from "just snug" I had set them.

Lesson Learned, "Pre-load New Hydraulic Lifters".

I do wish I could remove my valve covers without removing the exhaust. I tried with 1/4" drive universal joint sockets, but it can't be done.

I'll try again this Sunday...Wish me luck!

Cuda
07-26-2007, 08:38 AM
You might be able to get a couple of longer bolts for the exhaust manifolds. Pull out two, turn the longer bolts in a couple threads, then pull the rest of the bolts. You might be able to get enough room to get the v/c's off without taking the exhaust off. I had to do that on the last SBC I built. I went to the speed shop and they had these pretty red v/c's in stock, but they only had them in stock in the tall version. Not being known for my patience, I bought the tall ones. Little did I know I'd have to take the exhaust loose everytime I wanted to remove the v/c's. I did it so often, it was like I had a zipper on it. :(

Barry Eller
07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I could remove the stock valve covers w/o removing the exhaust. But the new valve covers I had to get are the tall ones to clear my new Comp Cams Magnum Roller Tips rocker arms. My shift linkage and electral station attaches to the Starboard exhaust, next time I will leave them attached when I remove them. Learning from my mistakes...the story of my life!!!

Barry Eller
08-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Fired the 502 Sunday! Got the valves adjusted correctly and busted the beast off! I have only run it on the hose, I have a lot of tidying up of wiring and such before splashing. With the decrease in vacuum with the new camshaft, some carb adjustments, possibly re-jetting are going to be needed. It seems to be running a little lean.

It sounds fierce!:yippie::biggrin.:

What was the problem with the Registry? I couldn't get the site to open yesterday or today. Just now was able to get in.

mrfixxall
08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Fired the 502 Sunday! Got the valves adjusted correctly and busted the beast off! I have only run it on the hose, I have a lot of tidying up of wiring and such before splashing. With the decrease in vacuum with the new camshaft, some carb adjustments, possibly re-jetting are going to be needed. It seems to be running a little lean.
It sounds fierce!:yippie::biggrin.:
What was the problem with the Registry? I couldn't get the site to open yesterday or today. Just now was able to get in.

Great, glad to hear you didnt have any more issues!!!