PDA

View Full Version : Do you think my tractor is sexy? LOL

LKSD
04-04-2007, 07:17 PM
:banghead: Here is some pics of some problems we ran into with removing our concrete driveway. Normally concrete would be 4-6 " thick. Ours is 10-14". Who is the dumb a@#. I guess we just have ART in our driveway. Or should I say who is the assh$% we bought the house from ..I think the phrase is that you "CAN'T FIX STUPID". loL.:banghead: No boat in our driveway....or car, dog, etc... What a mess. I am sure someone has been thru this crap.

Take a look at our lovely pics below. kristin

Rootsy
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, I reckon you never had an issue with the frost heaving that thing... ;)

BTW... that tractor's the wrong color to be sexy.... If it ain't red... you're only playing... :wink: :yes: :smash:

LKSD
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Well, I reckon you never had an issue with the frost heaving that thing... ;)
BTW... that tractor's the wrong color to be sexy.... If it ain't red... you're only playing... :wink: :yes: :smash:

You got that right.. The fools that put it in though pitched it towards our house & when there would be heavy rains it would rush to the basment like a river!.. :bonk:

I like your tractor.. How long did it take you to restore it? Jamie.. :)

Rootsy
04-05-2007, 11:25 AM
You got that right.. The fools that put it in though pitched it towards our house & when there would be heavy rains it would rush to the basment like a river!.. :bonk:
I like your tractor.. How long did it take you to restore it? Jamie.. :)

bout a month of weekends for most of the mechanical repair, prep and paint... nother few weekends to put it back together and mount tires, etc... DPLF epoxy under DCC Concept... and bout 20 hours and 1200 lbs of black beauty through the sandblaster all the while listening to that god forsaken 238 detroit trying to spin those twin rotary compressors... can you say excedrin and a beer?

2 down and just over a dozen to go... :bonk:

LKSD
04-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Rootsy, I know what you mean.. I can relate.. Especially in the winter, my heaters drive me nuts. (I have 2 210,000 btu heaters in my main bay).. The roar gets to you after 8-10 hrs..

The tractor looks great.. It wouldn't have looked that nice when it was new!.. Does that have a liquid filled air filter on it that I spy?? :) Jamie

Rootsy
04-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Rootsy, I know what you mean.. I can relate.. Especially in the winter, my heaters drive me nuts. (I have 2 210,000 btu heaters in my main bay).. The roar gets to you after 8-10 hrs..
The tractor looks great.. It wouldn't have looked that nice when it was new!.. Does that have a liquid filled air filter on it that I spy?? :) Jamie

that is an oil bath air cleaner, half inch of oil in the can at the bottom of the air cleaner... the top with the old ball mason jar is the precleaner.. it is dry and was an add on option of the day.

LKSD
04-05-2007, 02:38 PM
that is an oil bath air cleaner, half inch of oil in the can at the bottom of the air cleaner... the top with the old ball mason jar is the precleaner.. it is dry and was an add on option of the day.

I thought that might be one.. I have not seen one in a long time.. Was the tractor complete when you got it? or did you have a lot of parts hunting to do? J

Rootsy
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I thought that might be one.. I have not seen one in a long time.. Was the tractor complete when you got it? or did you have a lot of parts hunting to do? J

The M was complete and running... total rust... not a lick of paint anywhere... you can purchase a buttload of reproduction parts from places like OEM and Steiner tractor as well as most major mechanical stuff from CNH yet. She has a set of IH Firecrater pistons in her so with the governor turned up a bit and a few carburetor tweaks she is about 50 hp at the belt pulley (35ish was stock)... I havn't touched the engine though but she could use a valve job, some new valveguide seals and probably some rings, sleeves and bearings... replaced some gaskets and seals... new seat, lights, gauges, decals, knobs and wiring harness from OEM... This tractor spent a lot of it's life pulling a plow from the look of the drawbar.

the W4 came from Iron County, Michigan in the extreme western Upper Peninsula. SPent it;s life dragging logs out of the woods for loggers. It was 5 different colors but it ran.. actually, it has never been overhauled. It was complete, the fenders were rough and i had to find a replacement pair but there are a number of tractor junk yards over here as well as more auctions than you can shake a stick at... otherwise, same deal... new seat, steering wheel, lights, gauges, harness, etc from OEM and gaskets, etc from CNH and new rubber from Firestone...

gcarter
04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Rootsy, I read Randy Leffingwell's book on Deere, and I was all excited about them (not that I would ever buy a tractor)......but you clearly prefer the red tractors over the green ones eh?

LKSD
04-05-2007, 06:12 PM
The M was complete and running... total rust... not a lick of paint anywhere... you can purchase a buttload of reproduction parts from places like OEM and Steiner tractor as well as most major mechanical stuff from CNH yet. She has a set of IH Firecrater pistons in her so with the governor turned up a bit and a few carburetor tweaks she is about 50 hp at the belt pulley (35ish was stock)... I havn't touched the engine though but she could use a valve job, some new valveguide seals and probably some rings, sleeves and bearings... replaced some gaskets and seals... new seat, lights, gauges, decals, knobs and wiring harness from OEM... This tractor spent a lot of it's life pulling a plow from the look of the drawbar.
the W4 came from Iron County, Michigan in the extreme western Upper Peninsula. SPent it;s life dragging logs out of the woods for loggers. It was 5 different colors but it ran.. actually, it has never been overhauled. It was complete, the fenders were rough and i had to find a replacement pair but there are a number of tractor junk yards over here as well as more auctions than you can shake a stick at... otherwise, same deal... new seat, steering wheel, lights, gauges, harness, etc from OEM and gaskets, etc from CNH and new rubber from Firestone...

I wish I had the time & space to fool with a project like that.. Again nice job.. :) Jamie

gcarter
04-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Rootsy, I forgot to mention above, that's a beautiful tractor.:yes:

LKSD
04-06-2007, 07:08 AM
The tractor is not ours. We are waiting for them to bring a bigger one. Obviously.

Jay wants a tractor of course......However the one he has in mind is quite expensive as you all know. He wants a brand new one. Yeah right! A bit overkill to move boats and shovel two snow storms a year with. I told him to keep his eye out for a nice used one for how much we need to use it.:pimp: Donzi Kristin LOL

Rootsy
04-06-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm a red man through and through... But there is some green and orange peppered into the flock... A 1953 JD B that my great uncle bought new, a 1938 JD Styled L which my Grandfather brought home in bushel baskets in the 60's. Magneto fired, no starter, you crank the handle and hope she doesn't fire backward and catch... At the time he was the service manager of the local IH Dealership and i guess he couldn't let her get sent to the junk yard. I have a complete set of cultivators and a 1 bottom plow to go along with her...

Not too long ago pop bought a 440 JD crawler with a 2-53 detroit... needs new tracks as teh rollers are worn out.

Someday someone will put the JD backhoe back together and get it out of the middle of the shop.

And somehow an AC allis ended up in the barn... go figure...

other than that everything is RED...

TD-14 dozer, 424, 1256, 2 H's, W4, W6, My M, M my grandfather bought new in 1945, MD, 350, Super WD9, and another Super WD9

LKSD
04-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Neat!... Sounds more like you have a working musem of equipment than a hobby.. :D :D Jamie

Carl C
04-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Beautiful tractor, Jamie (Rootsy), now get to work on that barn. Other Jamie, it looks like you've got a real expensive headache on your hands. Good luck.

gcarter
04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
That sounds like a great collection Rootsy. If ever I'm in Michigan again, I'd really like to see it.

LKSD
04-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Beautiful tractor, Jamie (Rootsy), now get to work on that barn. Other Jamie, it looks like you've got a real expensive headache on your hands. Good luck.

Only good thing about all this is that the cost is kept down because a friend of ours started it and now my Dad's friend has to finish it. They do this on the side. Of course we are paying them. But they all own their own equipment and have a place to dump it.

We never would have had them dive into this if we new what was under there. None of us thought that it would have been like this. We would have waited and hired a bigger company to do it and paid more to have it done quick. It would have been worth it so we did not have all this aggrevation and no where to park til the end of April by the time everything is done. Live and learn. This mess is really driving me crazy especially with my OCD.

It is pretty sad that we are so easily amused playing on the John Deer tractor. Our neighbors probably think we are nuts.
Kristin :eek!:

Carl C
04-06-2007, 09:01 PM
We never would have had them dive into this if we new what was under there. Call the FBI and tell them you had a tip that Jimmy Hoffa was buried under there. Maybe they'll do the work for free and buy you a new driveway. Hey, it worked up here. It's a good thing you have friends in the right places because just hauling that stuff away will be a major PITA.

LKSD
04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
:yes: :D :D Thats funny, I said something similar the other day.. I also told my wife behave or we can dig a big hole now.... lol... :D jamie

undertaker
04-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Stop screwing around with concrete driveways, tractors, taking pictures of tractors etc. and start working on my boat....................:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :bonk: :bonk:

Sorry I had to do it.:boggled: :boggled: :boggled:

Undertaker:pimp:

PS I like the hole digging and putting wife in it IDEA!!!!!:yes: :bonk: :eek!:

LKSD
04-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Stop screwing around with concrete driveways, tractors, taking pictures of tractors etc. and start working on my boat....................:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :bonk: :bonk:
Sorry I had to do it.:boggled: :boggled: :boggled:
Undertaker:pimp:
PS I like the hole digging and putting wife in it IDEA!!!!!:yes: :bonk: :eek!:

:D :D J

Ed Donnelly
04-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Jamie; Think positive... You have the makings for one hell of a rock garden..Ed

LKSD
04-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Thats a good one.. :D J

Rootsy
04-27-2007, 06:34 AM
That driveway finished yet?

It's planting time round these parts... farmer across the road has been planting corn as fast as he can for the past week... He has a ways to go.

A few photos while playing around with my little 2 row IH (trip) corn planter... My grandfather used this for years to plant his sweet corn... I decided to give it a bit of TLC and get her running again... This thing is about 60 to 70 years old or so... late 30's / early 40's vintage... still works like she's supposed to except my fertilizer boxes rotted away... I reckon i'll end up with some corn in my pasture but what the hey, had to test it some how.

But as is life with old iron, after mowing the pasture I've now spent the past 2 nights in the shop with the clutch from the beast on the floor as i replace transmission seals... streams of gear oil running from the bellhousing is not a good thing... next we're onto the brakes... 2 bands and a few seals... then the pan gasket... and a bearing check... she rattles a bit more than i care for on a few rods... :smash: I'll see if i can get some photos of a few parts that only the old timers around here are probably familiar with ;)

gcarter
04-27-2007, 07:54 AM
I like the lanyard.....
I guess it controls the seed dropping? Is it hard to control how much drops?

LKSD
04-27-2007, 08:13 AM
That driveway finished yet?
It's planting time round these parts... farmer across the road has been planting corn as fast as he can for the past week... He has a ways to go.
A few photos while playing around with my little 2 row IH (trip) corn planter... My grandfather used this for years to plant his sweet corn... I decided to give it a bit of TLC and get her running again... This thing is about 60 to 70 years old or so... late 30's / early 40's vintage... still works like she's supposed to except my fertilizer boxes rotted away... I reckon i'll end up with some corn in my pasture but what the hey, had to test it some how.
But as is life with old iron, after mowing the pasture I've now spent the past 2 nights in the shop with the clutch from the beast on the floor as i replace transmission seals... streams of gear oil running from the bellhousing is not a good thing... next we're onto the brakes... 2 bands and a few seals... then the pan gasket... and a bearing check... she rattles a bit more than i care for on a few rods... :smash: I'll see if i can get some photos of a few parts that only the old timers around here are probably familiar with ;)

They finally took out all of the big concrete chunks. THey still have 1 sidewalk to remove. They at least now have the large gravel laid & graded for the main part of the driveway... Hopefully in a nnother week or 2 they will have it all done.. :) :boat: Jamie

Rootsy
04-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I like the lanyard.....
I guess it controls the seed dropping? Is it hard to control how much drops?

George,

Going back to when you were but a wee lad or teenager, before modern hydraulics were "modern", reliable or safe enough for the average person to operate, farm machinery came with nothing but a draw bar, belt pulley and maybe a mechanical PTO.

IH was a pioneer in that they had what was called a Lift-All hydraulic system on the M's and H's (the row crop tractors beginning in 1939). This was a one way system, pressure one side, gravity other side for using like a loader or other machinery or what not with a simple one way hydraulic cylinder. Still pretty basic. Later they came out with a new control valve to make it two way hydraulic. The issue with the Lift-All system as was available on all Row-Crop IH's from 39 to about 53 was that the pump is mechanical, driven off of a counter shaft in the transmission. Which of course means, the clutch must be engaged for it to work.

Beginning in 1952 with the introduction of the "super" series of IH letter series tractors a "Live" hydraulic system became avalable and became standard equipment about 1954 (when a torque amplifier and live PTO were introduced) and on. The pump for the live system was sandwiched between the engine and distributor, therefore when the engine was running the pump was making pressure and you could use your hydraulics (std two way) regardless fo the state of the transmission or driveline. Beginning in 1955 with the number series IH (100, 200, 300, 400, 600) you had the option of more than one circuit right from the factory via a valve stack on the steering wheel tower.

For older tractors with only a lift-all system companies such as M&W Gear made add-on "Live" hydraulic kits. A pump that again goes where the standard IH pump does and plumbing and such. The original belly tank has the internal pump removed and a welch plug put in place and you use the tank as your oil resevoir. you had to drill and tap the bottom of the tank and run a line and mount a 2 way valve. M&W was an innovator for IH tractors in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. Engine parts, stroker cranks, transmission parts, brakes, hydraulics, etc etc etc. My M being a 1950 was only equipped from IH with a standard Lift-All system. Someone along the way added the M&W live hydraulic setup.

So before the implementation of hydraulics on tractors all implements were mechanically raised or lowered. Plows, Cultivators, Discs, planters and what not. Cultivators were easy.. a lever as they were all mounted to the tractor frame. Discs were pretty much just drug around so stay out of the yard. Pull implements used what was called a "Trip" mechanism. A cam operated drum on a constantly rotating shaft, commonly an axle. This is the rope you see me holding onto.... The rope is connected to a spring return locking or detent lever on the trip mechanism of the planter. pull the rope, dislodge the lever and the drum rotates around 180 degrees dropping the implement (planter in this case) into teh ground, engaging a second shaft which turns the gears and shafts that run the seed plates. The seed plates control the spacing between seeds in the ground. The ones in my planter drop a kernal of corn every 15 inches roughly. You release the lever after pulling because at the 180 mark it locks the drum in the down position by falling into a detent again. Pull again to raise at the end of the row. On an implement such as a plow the trip is on the furrow wheel (the wheel that rides in the dead furrow). This wheel is commonly treaded like a tractor tire as it needs traction. A plow wants to suck its way INTO the ground. if you have a smooth tire and pull the trip to raise the plow and the plow will not come up and the tire looses traction and slides you're in for some fun. Luckily i have an IH 70 High Clearance 3 bottom blow... Hydraulic... uses a 3 1/2 x 8 cylinder to raise and lower... I do have a couple of old IH "little Genious" 2 bottom trip plows though.

gcarter
04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks Jamie.
I've always enjoyed old farm equipment as it demonstrates an area of simplicity of design that just by its nature would last forever.
We today tend to complicate things so much (much of it mandated) but it's refreshing to see these simple machines in operation.

gcarter
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
BTW, speaking of hydraulics, did you know a number of car manufacturers in the twenties experimented with hydraulic brakes using water as a working fluid.......
Well, I guess you have to start somewhere!

Rootsy
04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Simplicity is nice... basic electrical (right down to no battery or lighting if desired)... when was the last time anyone has worked on an old magneto around here? my 1938 Styled John Deere L has one... they hurt when you trip the impulse and are hangin onto them...

I can major the engine, in-frame. R&R clutch, pressure plate and flywheel without even splitting the tractor. You can rebuild the transmission by simply removing the top of the rearend housing, it is a plate, called the platform.

old tractors for the most part are built like brick ****houses... a testiment to how many are still in use today... the dairy farmer across the road has 5 tractors like mine, acouple of Farmall H's (one size smaller) and almost half a dozen late 60's / early 70's vintage IH 856's... not much you can say for other hardware with that kind of longevity...

gas in, fire, exhaust out, run some water through it and circulate some oil...