PDA

View Full Version : K&n???

slamdry
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Anyone have or ever have a K&N flame arrester?? are they worth the money?? ddo/did you notice any gain??

Cuda
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
I frigging hate my K&N's on my Formula. They are a pita to get the breather hoses to connect without collapsing the filter. I can't see any gains with one, most flame arrestors don't even have an element in them. It's not like a car where they have to filter out dirt and dust. There is very little dirt on the water.

Pismo
04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I did a direct switch on a stock 502. 75.5mph GPS before and 75.5 mph GPS after ten minutes later. No difference. I am told I may have seen something at higher rpms or if I had better exhaust, a blower, etc.. May be true, but no improve on a stock setup. Looks cool tho.

DonCig
04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
No difference in my testing at 70 mph 350 MAG MP Gen +, 300HP, Bravo 1

Don

BigGrizzly
04-04-2007, 09:08 PM
On my Criterion with a blower motor I did a test with the K&N filter and without any filter with absolutely no change in HP. As for dirt, you should see how dirty it is after one season. I don't that in my motor

MDonziM
04-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I too saw no performance gain on a 502 mpi. And like Grizzly said, I went thru an alternater belt last yr. and you dont want that soot in your engine.

slamdry
04-06-2007, 04:34 PM
so there is not really any gain but they are worth it for the filter??

fasttrucker
04-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Do it if you upgrade cam,heads,exhaust.But dont bother on a stock set-up.Spend the money on gas and boat more this season.:wink:

Cuda
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
There's no way any type of filter can flow better than no filter at all (flame arrestor). The stuff you see on the filter after a year is generally from wear on belts, or oil, both of which will burn in your cylinders.

slamdry
04-07-2007, 03:47 PM
it doesnt matter anyway, i measured last night to see if a k&n would fit aaaaannnd it wont, way to tall, not enought rook under the stock hood, ohh well what can ya do right :bonk:

Formula Jr
04-08-2007, 12:56 AM
There's a differnece between cars and boats. Boats don't need "air filters." That's why we have "Flame Arrestors." Unless your lake, or where you boat experiences the odd dust storm, the environment is completely different. No one is kicking up dust in front of you, and water isn't covered with crap thrown up in the air for an engine to breath in. Unless you went to some kind of hepa filter for pollen or really tiny stuff, you do no better than open air to the engine.

That little stack of disks of the arrestor is just there to keep the flame front of a backfire from entering the engine compartment. Its not even meant to be a filter of any kind.

BigGrizzly
04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Jr That is bunk, the reason we need flame arrestors id because the Government said so! As for a filter anybody who wants to see mine and how dirty it is , Ill show you. Boats are dirty too!!! How about all the glass dust in the bilge and belts flaking. Hasn't anybody ever seen a dirty flame arrestor. Cuda is right as long as the arrestor is large enough to begin with. I will admit that our 16 didn't have a air cleaner but does have a flame arrestor. Both my Corsican and Criterion have air cleaners. Believe me I don't do it for looks. Anyone who knows me knows that my engines aren't pretty on the out side, but I will match anyone on the board on the inside!!!! Does the word "Insurance" mean anything to anybody. The choice is up to you. Here is an idea, put one of thoes foam covers around the arrestor, oil appropriately, use for 10 hours then see how dirty it is and get back to this thread.

f_inscreenname
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I like mine. No performance gain but its a filter thats approved as a "flame arrestor". A lot better then the metal one.

Barry Eller
04-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I use one. It's washable too. No performance gain that I'm aware of , but it works well, keeps dirt out better than the metal "flame arresters". Yes, it does get dirty...

slamdry
04-09-2007, 04:31 PM
yeah i'm going to get one when i get a hatch that i can put a scoup on, soo if anyone knows were i can get a engine hatch that will fit a 70 16 (in any condition) let me know!!!:)