PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Boat Ramp Stories

Barry Eller
04-02-2007, 08:10 PM
This could be interesting...

What is your favorite or most interesting experience at a boat ramp...

I have many...

Just to start things off,

I always warn bystanders that when I start the Donzi, "This is going to be LOUD". Then they stare like they are watching a balloon being blown up and about to burst. When the engine starts, they always jump!

Later I'll tell you about the Marine Patrol Officer that wanted to see the fish I had caught! Fish? On a 22 Classic?

Donzigo
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Here's one...........

gpapich
04-02-2007, 08:50 PM
In your best Guinness voice "I say old chap, let's save the trailer. ...Brilliant"

maddad
04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
My favorites include unhooking the boat early and launching it a foot or two short of the water, and when everything is the wifes fault.
Good times, good times.:propeller:

Carl C
04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I like to spot the land cops hiding by the ramp with their radar gun. They're about as slick as sandpaper.

Johntrip
04-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Blackpoint Marina has an audience of 20-50 people who watch and heckle the boats comin and goin.... Anyway, I was coming in after a weekend of boating with a friend who was in his boat behind me. After I docked my boat, George (my friend) and his wife (Michelle) were approching the dock. Michelle had Bow duty she had the bow line in hand and was up on the tip of the bow ready to fend off the dock when all of a sudden George flipped the motor in reverse and Michelle fell over the bow rail and was heading for the water. Her foot got caught up in the bow line and she was hanging upside down in the water ass up in a thong gargling "Help me Johnny Help me"!!! I could'nt help but lmao. I jumped on the boat and freed the foot while everyone on the hill was laughing and clapping at my heroic gesture..... Or maybe is was her ass up gesture that had everyone clapping?? I wish I had a picture!!

RickSE
04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
In Havasu there is a ramp that is so bad that people pull up lawn chairs and drink beer while they watch the mayhem.

http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120362&highlight=site

Carl C
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Blackpoint Marina has an audience of 20-50 people who watch and heckle the boats comin and goin.... Anyway, I was coming in after a weekend of boating with a friend who was in his boat behind me. After I docked my boat, George (my friend) and his wife (Michelle) were approching the dock. Michelle had Bow duty she had the bow line in hand and was up on the tip of the bow ready to fend off the dock when all of a sudden George flipped the motor in reverse and Michelle fell over the bow rail and was heading for the water. Her foot got caught up in the bow line and she was hanging upside down in the water ass up in a thong gargling "Help me Johnny Help me"!!! I could'nt help but lmao. I jumped on the boat and freed the foot while everyone on the hill was laughing and clapping at my heroic gesture..... Or maybe is was her ass up gesture that had everyone clapping?? I wish I had a picture!! Hey, Ranman, does that story sound a little famliar??:wink:

BUIZILLA
04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
you ain't seen nuthin' till the Black Point crew breaks out the score cards... :yes: :eek!: :cool!:

Johntrip
04-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I have'nt seen the score cards!!! lol But I've seen you up there.!!:wink:

Magicallbill
04-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Here's one...........
Donzigo;
Hilarious!!

pmreed
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
My favorite boat ramp story is a little different from these. I'd just bought my 22C from a Miamuh lawyer, even though his lawyer wife was not interested in taking my check. Poodle and I had been cruising the bay and we were recovering at Black Point. I backed the trailer into the water, and Poodle eased the boat onto the two vertical bunks with nary a problem. Tough to do without a set of bunks to guide the keel (they're there now!!). Pulled her out and lashed her down....that's my favorite boat ramp story and I'm stickin' to it.:)

Phil

Carl C
04-04-2007, 07:05 PM
My favorite boat ramp story is a little different from these. I'd just bought my 22C from a Miamuh lawyer, even though his lawyer wife was not interested in taking my check. Poodle and I had been cruising the bay and we were recovering at Black Point. I backed the trailer into the water, and Poodle eased the boat onto the two vertical bunks with nary a problem. Tough to do without a set of bunks to guide the keel (they're there now!!). Pulled her out and lashed her down....that's my favorite boat ramp story and I'm stickin' to it.:)
Phil Phil, I agree that the best boat ramp stories are the ones where you dazzled everyone with your efficiency and speed. I've been trailering over 20 years and I always make sure my guests know that it's important to launch professionally. Look good and don't hold people up. I'm not perfect though. I forgot to trim up the outboard once, left the drain plug out only once, and forgot the rear tie-downs a couple of times (I don't usually use them). It's a lesson in efficiency to watch a bass tournament launch their boats.

gold-n-rod
04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Phil, I agree that the best boat ramp stories are the ones where you dazzled everyone with your efficiency and speed. I've been trailering over 20 years and I always make sure my guests know that it's important to launch professionally. Look good and don't hold people up. I'm not perfect though. I forgot to trim up the outboard once, left the drain plug out only once, and forgot the rear tie-downs a couple of times (I don't usually use them). It's a lesson in efficiency to watch a bass tournament launch their boats.

Don't forget the time you overshot the channel to the White Lake ramp and ended up in the weeds/goop/mud/yuck :bonk:

But I won't tell.............. :wink:

Barry Eller
04-05-2007, 04:49 AM
I've always heard Cocaine was plentiful in Miami...

But piles of it on the boat ramps...AhhhChooo

Carl C
04-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Don't forget the time you overshot the channel to the White Lake ramp and ended up in the weeds/goop/mud/yuck :bonk:
But I won't tell.............. :wink: Yeah, that sucked but it wasn't my fault! How was I to know the water was 6 inches deep right next to the ramp. I was grounded but thank goodness it was only soft muck. I've since found out that this launch ramp has to be regularly dredged. Anyway that wasn't really a launching booboo but I did forget my rear tie-downs when putting in! I only use them on long tows.:eek!:

blue-z
04-05-2007, 01:21 PM
-saving a Formula from demise as he was leaving the ramp...with his dock line still on the cleat starting to wrap around the trailer wheel

-saving a guy from leaving the dock with drive down

-lending a guy a plug who had launched without it and barely made it in without sinking. Major bilge pump run on.

-when I cranked up my formerly owned Z-25 with a loud crack and the local priest (who had a little doral bow rider) came over and said, "what a beautiful and loud boat". I told him that he was a priest...but today, right now, the Lord can hear me.

-dropped the boat off and walked home. Picked up my GTO rag and came back to eat breakfast and read the paper. A young handsome teenage punk called me ugly and bald but said I probably did well with the girls because of the 2 toys.

-watching the lamest launch in history as this guy is rippin on his wife because he is the biggest loser. Yelling at her because he cannot drive backwards with a load. Dropped mine in with my wife flawlessly...walked over and told him politely and quietly that he should stop embarrassing himself and if he needed some help.

-watching crowds as I launched.

apollo24
04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Last year I was launching my X with my Landcruiser. I backed the boat in, put it in 1st, pulled the parking brake, and got out to tie off the boat, as I as I usually do. I turn around and my Landcruiser's rear wheels have lost traction in the algae and it is skidding down the ramp!

I ran over, jumped into the truck (by this point water was up to my dash, rear hatch is completely under). I stepped on the brake to lock the front wheels and save the truck. This dude that was fishing on the pier ran over, rolled up his pants, waded in and locked my front hubs for me. I prayed, threw it in 4LO, turned the key, and she fired right up! I managed to get to the top of the ramp before she quit. I drained all the fluids and removed the carpet and rear seat and was driving it the next day. I called my buddy who runs the local SeaTow and said "Come get my boat at the ramp. I will be by the marina to get it tomorrow. Don't ask why!"

BigGrizzly
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
At the ramp at Mary Alice park on Lanier early on morning watching the bass boaters and their wifes do the unloading dance. When a very loud basser with a ranger boat is explaining to his wife how to splash the boat. She is embarrassed . We here her say "But dear", he says just listen and do what I tell you! He climes in the boat and says back it in till the boat is wet the pull the trailer out and park it! Again she says " but dear", he sharply yells back "no buts just shut up and do what I tell you, we haven't got all day. Imagine what here face looked like! She gets in the Tahoe and slowly backs down the ramp the rest of the way. As the boat floats he starts the engines and yells GO. She hesitated for a moment. He starts yelling just do what I say. She steps on the gas. as she pulls up the ramp I see the winch handle spinning,the bow is still attached. He all of a sudden sees it to and starts waving his arms. She must though he was telling her to hurry up, she keeps going with the empty trailer but also dragging the bass boat up the cement ramp. by the time she stops the boat is at the top of the ramp with a flat bottom and a well sanded lower unit on the motor. Paul and I laughed so hard I spilled my coffee my crotch and looked like I wet myself.

mikev
04-06-2007, 12:48 PM
watched a guy trying to back a jetski trailer down the ramp with a suburban and every 5 feet or so he would get it sideways. so after getting frustrated for about 10-15 minutes he would back it till it was sideways get out pick the trailer up put it back straight got in the truck went 5 more feet back got out did it again must have done it like 10 times to get to the bottom of the ramp.

Barry Eller
04-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Another one of my stories.

Many years back, I took a date out on my Tahiti. We got back to the ramp, she was holding the lines. As I backed the trailer down, she decided to push the boat away from the dock with her foot. One foot on the dock and one foot on the boat...the look on her face when she realized what was about to happen was priceless. It all happend in slow motion as she did the splits and hit the water face first!

Donzigo
04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Still wondering what those letters mean, Scott...........

FISHIN SUCKS
04-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I helped load a fish-boat for some old people at the AOTH a couple years back. Who says my name says it all. Yuck, I think I can still smell the worm guts:puke: :spit: !

Donzigo - love the pwc launch instructions.

Hey Barry, did that end up being one of the wives?

tom

Barry Eller
04-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey Barry, did that end up being one of the wives?
tom

No, "Tagged and Released" her after about a year.:lookaroun:

zimm17
04-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I saw a minivan launching one of those trailerable sailboats. The trailer was too short to get the boat floating. I watched in amazement as the owner put a cinderblock behind the trailer wheel on a slippery algae covered ramp, UNHOOK the trailer from the van, tie a ROPE to the hitch and the bumper and proceeded to dip the trailer in the water using the rope. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and it's amazing that this feat actually worked. I was so hoping for a blooper. This was on a military base so no fan club was watching either. I wish I had a camera though.

Pismo
04-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Anybody know where the video is of the two older guys launching a small fishing boat that is still strapped to the trailer. Trailer comes off truck and the guy is driving the boat around some with the trailer still strapped to the boat bottom. Then he drives it back up the ramp and the other guy hooks it back to the truck. I saw it somewhere on Donzi, OSO, or Hotboat. Cant find it now tho. Priceless. Please post alink if you know where it is. It great. The old guys are so cool about it.