PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

Carl C
04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Last September my boat was rear-ended at a traffic light. The driver was ticketed. This is not covered by my truck insurance and my boat insurance has a $1,000 deductible. Is the driver's insurance liable for the thousand bucks? I haven't contacted them yet since my boat is still not complete and I haven't yet paid the deductible. Do you think they will pony up? If not, how hard should I pursue it? TIA.

gcarter
04-02-2007, 05:30 PM
All my wheeled vehicles are insured by State Farm, and having been in business for 20 years, my trucks have been rear ended and T-boned more times than I'd like to remember. When this happens, my insurance covers the damage and they sue (if necessary) the other parties insurance company and recover the deductable. Of course I have to pay it initially.

Carl C
04-02-2007, 05:35 PM
All my wheeled vehicles are insured by State Farm, and having been in business for 20 years, my trucks have been rear ended and T-boned more times than I'd like to remember. When this happens, my insurance covers the damage and they sue (if necessary) the other parties insurance company and recover the deductable. Of course I have to pay it initially. So Progressive, my boat's insurer, might help me recover the deductible?

BUIZILLA
04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Is Michygan a No Fault state?

boxy
04-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Carl, why doesn't your truck insurance cover the repair to your boat. Shouldn't it be that policy and Company that is chasing the guy who hit for the deductible ??

Carl C
04-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Michigan is a no fault state. I only had liability insurance on my 1995 truck. My insurance doesn't pay for my property damage. Now if this guy had run into my truck then I could recover $500 from his insurer; this is called mini-tort. Towing a trailer changes things though. I guess I'll look into it after I pay it.

RickSE
04-03-2007, 11:43 AM
The boat and trailer were connected to the truck at the time of the accident. I'd consider hitting the boat in this case the same as hitting the truck but who knows it may not be that easy.

Tell the other insurance company that your hitch on the truck was damaged, $500 to fix. :wink:

ANGUS
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Carl-- I Recently Went Through This In Maryland....my Insurance Co. Said To Have My Marine Insurer Handle It And Then They Would Go After The "at Fault" Parties Ins. Co.....but The Best Thing To Do Is Go Directly After The At Fault Co. Because This Will Result In Full Payment For Damages Without Any Deductible..which Would Apply If You Use Your Policy. A Very Decent Marine Surveyor Guided Me Through This ...the Ins. Co. Likes The Other Route With The Deductible...good Luck. Angus

Carl C
04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys. Maybe my boat Insurer goes after the at fault party for full reimbursement. I should have the boat back soon and I'll sort it out after I've paid the money.

Sofa King
04-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Carl, I hope you get your POS back buy October.

Your Pal
Dre

Rootsy
04-04-2007, 08:22 AM
not trying to throw you under the bus carl, but wasnt your truck uninsured at the time of the incident? I seem to remember you freaking out over that a bit... Either way, in Michigan, if the trailer and boat are attached to the truck when hit then the vehicle insurance is first in line to cover it.. unless of course that is insufficient, then the boat insurance will take care of it... as for recovering a deductible i'd call your insurance company and ask them if you have recourse to recover your deductible since you were not at fault....

Carl C
04-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Dre, I'm not ready to call my boat a piece of $k!+ yet. I like it a lot and really can't wait to drive it again, but, yes, I also hope to have it back by October! Jamie, my truck was insured but only with no-fault which does not cover damage to my own vehicles. BTW, all of my vehicles and boat are now with Progressive. I'll let you all know how it works out. The whole world's gonna know when I get my boat back!:wink:

Sofa King
04-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Carl, I call all my toys POS LOL, it's a term of affection, but my favorite POS is my HD, it's a love hate relationship more towards the hate.