PDA

View Full Version : My First Donzi!

ColdWaterDonzi
04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Hello,
Just wanted to drop in and tell you that I purchased my first Donzi. I wasn't looking for one, I was actually after a 22' Velocity, but this deal was just too good to pass up. I never thought I'd be able to afford one, so I never looked.
Its a 1974, 24' Spitfire (I believe its a Spitfire). The boat is equipped with Twin Chev's and TRS drives. There is also 3 bladed Mercury cleavers on it (not sure if this was an OEM part). Interior is mint with no cracks or rips, gelcoat has lost its lustre but no oxidization has formed. Drives and props have 0 nicks or abrasions on them, bilge area still sparkles in white gelcoat, non skid topdeck is a thing of beauty. VERY CLEAN, deepwater boat! 100% Original from what I know.
I am after more information on this boat. Please educate me. I've attached a picture to help assist me. I want to restore the condition to showroom, and need all the tips for finding decals and small things here and there.
Thanks
http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/16/66/3838259.jpg.fpx?large

ITTLFLI
04-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the club!!

Nice find! Very sharp!!

gcarter
04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
A very pretty boat.
How about a few more pics of a rare, very nice boat?

BUIZILLA
04-02-2007, 02:55 PM
:eek!: :eek!: you damm sure got my attention :eek!: :eek!:

:yes: :cool:

ColdWaterDonzi
04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. I don't have anymore pics. That was the picture in the advertisement from the seller. It looks a little different now because its been under skrink all winter, but I assure you when I do get pics, you won't be disappointed.

Can you guys confirm if this is infact a Spitfire? What would be my best way of confirming model info, and standard vs. upgraded parts?

I'm going to make a detailed thread when I clean it with before and after pictures. Stay tuned in a month or so when its all done. :wink:

Greg K
04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Definitely a Spitfire...Look forward to more pics of this fine looking example, very nice.
From the ad info and your description, you got a hell of a deal.

Ed Donnelly
04-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Where will you be boating????......Ed

RedDog
04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
wow - super boat! Can't wait to see more photos. Congratulations!

Barry Eller
04-02-2007, 06:56 PM
WOW!

I like your boat Mr.! Get used to little kids telling you that...:yes:

Welcome to the Love/Pain world of owning a Donzi!

Cuda
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
One of my all time favorite Donzi's. It's got to be one of the all time best looking boats. Love to see more.

boldts
04-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow Coldwater. Your Spitfire is simply beautiful and if I do say so myself. The right color combo also. I hope one day to see your Donzi in person. Maybe somewhere like the Thousand Isles Donzi gathering or maybe you might bring her down State side to our gathering in KY. What a beautiful find. I know alot of us are very envious of you!

chappy
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Everyones comments above say it all. Congratulations and good luck.:cool!:
Rich

ColdWaterDonzi
04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Wow guys, thanks!

Ed - The boat will be up in the Kawarthas primarily, prior to now its been a Georgian Bay boat since the mid 70's. It will return to Georgian though.
My friend ran last year in the 1000 islands run but he isn't on a Donzi. He has a fast Velocity though...

I will try and get a hold of a camera and get some pics of its state now.

I don't know much about the Spitfire but am looking to learn. I know boats pretty well in general but have never been into a Donzi until now.

I'm trying to get a hold of a brochure or pdf that has the Spitfire, and lists the standard vs upgraded package or options so I can compare and work off something if its needed.

Appreciate all the comments. I googled Spitfire a few days ago and has a hard time finding a picture. They must be rarer than I first thought.

Vegas Classic
04-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Very cool boat, congrats on the score! :eek!:

goatee
04-02-2007, 09:43 PM
absafreakinlutely!!! you have to post a ton of pics, post #'s,,, i.e. speed, rpm's, props your using...video of the helm at w.o.t. would be waaaayyyyyy cool!!:yes: :hyper:

Tony
04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Our site's model listing, found here, (http://www.donzi.net/dlist/) says the Spitfire was produced in '76 & '77. Do you have a hull ID listed anywhere? That may help decipher what year the boat was actualy built.

Others may know more specifically where to look...but some possibilities would be on the title, on a foil tag behind the rear seat, on the backside of the dashboard, on the underside of the foredeck, or on the wood backing block of the bow eye.

Sweet boat, by the way, and welcome to the board!

:beer:

Diesel Dog
04-03-2007, 05:20 AM
I also have a Spitfire:wink: But yours looks alot better then mine and will be one sweet ride:party: That thing should flat out rock:yes:

ColdWaterDonzi
04-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Our site's model listing, found here, (http://www.donzi.net/dlist/) says the Spitfire was produced in '76 & '77. Do you have a hull ID listed anywhere? That may help decipher what year the boat was actualy built.
Others may know more specifically where to look...but some possibilities would be on the title, on a foil tag behind the rear seat, on the backside of the dashboard, on the underside of the foredeck, or on the wood backing block of the bow eye.
Sweet boat, by the way, and welcome to the board!
:beer:

One thing I did check was the Hull ID # on the rear transom. Ends in 74, so as far as I know boats its a 74'. Either way, I'm sure I'll come across some info on it, and its still a Donzi from the 70's, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I'll try and get some pics this week.

Tim Morris
04-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Hello,
Just wanted to drop in and tell you that I purchased my first Donzi. I wasn't looking for one, I was actually after a 22' Velocity, but this deal was just too good to pass up. I never thought I'd be able to afford one, so I never looked.

Well, thar she blows (goes). My cell phone died last Friday. My nephew,
(Wazzy here on the forum) from Sudbury placed a number of calls to me,
each with growing excitement about this boat. I didn't get the messages
until Sunday night. Turns out he called the seller Saturday only to learn the
boat was sold and that he'd probably asked too little as he'd had six offers
and the ad hadn't made print at that point.

Absolutely a remarkable find. Best of luck with her.

Rob M
04-03-2007, 09:45 AM
:canada:

Hi ColdWaterDonzi:

Nice buy. I was on this one very early with Janny from overseas via email, but unfortunately because of time difference could not line up a surveyor to preview and purchase on my behalf before she sold it. Oh well. Next time....

To help you with info on your boat there is limited info on Spitfires. There is a brochure posted at www.allardmarine.com A few good pics of original cockpit layouts etc. Probably the best source you will find. I have never come across others.

Based on her emails to me, your's is likely all original except for seats which were originally red and blue according to Janny before her dad changed them to white. She had the length and year wrong. I believe your boat is a 76 - and the original seat colour would support this as Donzi made bi-centennial seat colours in that year.

As for hull id number. Look on the outer transom in the top right corner. It should be stamped into the hull - that's where mine is - also a 76. It will be a 13 digit number (perhaps 12 on a Spitfire because of low production)

To decipher:

First three digits: DMR (Donzi Marine)
Next two digits: Hull length
Next three digits: Sequence number of model produced (may only be 2 digits on a Spit or else zeros in front)
Next four digits: Month and year built (probably 76)
Last digit: A letter denoting model name (probably S)

When you do find the number, please post it here - a lot of good folks here would value this for their own reference. It's like DNA for tracking these boats.

I hope this helps in your info search.

RickSE
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Good thing this was originally posted on April 2nd otherwise I'd have thought it was a good April Fools joke.

This has got to be the find of the year. I'm certainly looking forward to more pictures. These boats are cool.

Morgan's Cloud
04-03-2007, 11:38 AM
With one of those you'll probably not have to have a second one !
A beautifull example of 'the lesser known classics' .
Definitely looking forward to more pictures and running stories

Congratulations.

ColdWaterDonzi
04-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Tim & Rob - Thanks for the info and comments guys.

Sorry guys. Janny told me she had multiple calls, I knew I had to pay her at that point or it would be gone.

Its nice to know there are some locals on here. Hopefully we can all run together one time.

Thanks for everyones comments and help. I wil post up more info when I get a chance. Work is hectic this week, the weekend will bring some free time hopefully.

boldts
04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Rob M., thank-you for the reminder on where to find the liturature on the Spitfire and yes, probably the best information in pictures anyone will find until you owners who are refurbishing your boats can show us more.

I fell in love with that brochour Spitfire the very first time I saw it. It's got such great lines and well I love blue and white Donzis. I've heard rummors of a Spitfire up on Lake Erie in the Sandusky area, but I haven't been able to find it or track it down. Who knows, may have been sold for all I know.

The sad note, OleRed here on the registry told me the molds for the 24' has they were also used to build the ElPescador model were sold to I believe Sonic. (So, someone looking for a Spitfire might also look at the 24' Sonic of those years) Since then though the molds have been destroyed. So, no more chances to build a great intermediate, very stylish, go fast with the Donzi name.

I'd love to see Donzi build the Spitfire today with upgraded running gear. Maybe only to Donzi lovers, but I think the boat would be a hit!

Tank
04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
N ICE
Welcome aboard.
You have my favored boat!
I am also new to Donzi , as a mater of fact I have not taken delivery of mine yet ,but sooooon.
I went smaller I had 23’ Formula Thunderbird we my wife and I found it could be a handful loading on the trailer and I like fishing so I found something a little smaller.
A 19’ St Tropez CC. needs work but that’s ok .
They all ced it, we NEED PHOTOS That was a very good fined you got their!!!
AS you already see these guys are grate and a wealth of INFO and PHOTOS!!
GOOD luck with your DONZI
Tank
PS stay warm! And safe!!!!

BUIZILLA
04-03-2007, 03:41 PM
CW, I think you need to ship it south for the winter, as in VERY south...

as in, EVERY winter...

as in.....

oh, never mind.. :wink:

realbold
04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Absolutely Beautiful :yes: I like the old school stuff anyway but those lines are timeless.

ColdWaterDonzi
04-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get pics up when I can. Work is keeping me busy.

catch 22
04-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Absolutely Beautiful :yes: I like the old school stuff anyway but those lines are timeless.
I couldn't have said it better myself. BEAUTIFUL.:yes:

YoAnthony
04-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Very nice boat, great lines, awsome! Good luck!

Cuda
04-04-2007, 07:59 PM
I can't keep myself from coming back to this post over and over again. Damn, I love that boat!:cool:

ColdWaterDonzi
04-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Guys,

Just got around to registering it and recording serial number.

Production portion of serial number "055"! :eek!:

ghiafreak62
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
that is a nice boat.

superhatz
04-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Great boat!.........super rare.

Congrats.