PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Can Do It, Plain Folks Guide, Getting Pictures Ready for the Web

TheFees
04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/4061/2646887830100733997S600x600Q85.jpg
http://www.PlainFolksGuides.com

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/3795/2735460910100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/5230/2277173170100733997S600x600Q85.jpg

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/53/553/1/41/51/2817141510100733997qSpWJT_th.jpg

This is a comprehensive guide for all computer skill levels. The main advantage to using this guide is two fold:
1) You will have the most outrageously gorgeous postings possible. The photos will appear in the middle of your posting no matter who looks at them; even visitors.
2) The precious server hard drive space, and bandwidth will be greatly reduced, thereby speeding up performance. Donzi.net servers will be running like a raped 22 with a monster block in it. :-)

You already know from seeing others ads that already know what this guide contains. Here is an example of such an ad, http://www.sellbyforums.com/showthread.php?p=23#post23 (I refer to posts as ads, cause that is what they are, to some degree, whether you are selling something , or yourself, and you want them to look great.)

I have been a member of Donzi.net (thefees) for quite some time, and I love it here. I have the 1987 18 350mag Mercruiser you see with me in it, in the photo. I recently posted, "Sorely Needed Relief for all of us Donzi Adrenalin Junkies Out There" while the snow was on the ground. Enough about me.

Here is the link to the complete guide, I hope you find it useful, and I am interested in your comments, on any way that you feel I may need to improve it. http://www.plainfolksguides.com/Guides/PhotoPFG.htm
Bob Feeser
PS: I am not selling anything in this post, all of the above is free.

TheFees
04-03-2007, 01:18 PM
http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/4046/1512042573071209264S600x600Q85.jpg
I know you guys must think I am blowing a lot of hot air. :wink: PS: I just pulled this photo off of WebShots.com for free, by doing a search for "funny".

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN EDIT-UPDATE**********************************
I would like to add this as additional information to my original posts. After getting helpful feedback from the members/Mod's here at D'net I would like to say the following.
In order to avoid the little "Red X Syndrome" from happening (when photos are stored on outside servers, then those servers go down for any reason, then the "linked to" photos come up as little red x's all over the site) It is better to store the majority of your photos right on the servers here at Donzi.net by using the lower portion of the ad submit page, rather than the little yellow box on the top.

I noticed that this stie is enabling thumbnails in the advertising area, so even visitors can see them; great idea.

I hope to soon revise the Plain Folks Guide shortly to incorporate what I have learned here through everyones helpful input. Hopefully, I will streamline it to the point that it becomes the photo guide of choice for D'net and others.
So when reading through the guide, and my postings, please keep in mind, it is wise to store a majority of your photos right in the Donzi.net servers, and not on WebShots.
Coming Soon; Microsoft, and other built in and accessible tools for compressing files before uploading them to the servers. Stay tuned. Bob
END OF EDIT-UPDATE*************************

If anyone has any specific questions about getting pictures from the computer to this forum ask them here. Free tech help, say what? :) Park your pictures at WebShots.com for free, then in the submit ad box, use the little yellow postcard icon here at Donzi.net. Then paste in the URL (Web Site Address) of your photo, from another place on the web, then click on OK, then it shows up on your screen from there instead. So Donzi.net servers are at that point, simply putting up a 5 k template instead of a 2000k photo fest. Those big heavy photos could be coming from someplace else on the web. (Free membership at WebShots.com)
Visitors outnumber members. So when you get the added bonus of being able to place photos in your posting that even a visitor can see instead of just a filename, that alone is enough to make me switch, let alone it is a great relief on the Donzi servers. Check out the stats for yourself on the bottom of the home page.

Hey when you realize that their are usually more people visiting a forum than actually belonging to it, the greatest amount of people are not able to see your photographs, if you are parking your photos, by using the photo insert tool at the bottom of the posting area. That puts them on Donzi.net servers, and visitors can't see them, just the file names.
So 50 times more people are going to see your photographs, if you get them from someplace on the web. WebShots.com is that place. It's Free. The payout is when you park your photos at WebShots, they even automatically resize them for you, so they load even faster. It's a win, win, win.

In boat talk, let's put it this way, "Imagine you are able to eliminate all but 10 pounds of weight in your boat. You still are pushing the same power, but the whole thing only weighs 10 pounds. How fast would you be going then? Even though this is impossible to do in a boat, it is entirely possilble in a server.
The same powerful chip is driving a pebble instead of a mountain. It is capable of thousands of hits, but with the heavy weight and bandwidth usage, moving photos around, all on the back of the Donzi servers, it is like carrying 4-500 pound people along with you when you are ready to race. Then you have to put a 4 blade towing prop on which further affects performance, (shorten time out on the server, to log off idle people faster, then when you are drawing up your post, and ready to submit, you have to log back in again.)

Their are a million examples of how this one thing, getting members to spend 5 minutes to learn something that they all will be saying, "That is simple, just do this" and improve the performance of this site so much. (Even though it runs great already)
I think it is very generous of the HarborMaster to lift the limitation of the 100,000 file size on this site, for people who don't want to spend 5 minutes in the PFGuide, but it is biting him in the butt. He is carrying all this weight around, and it reminds me of being in the hull of a leaky boat, and water is spurting between the cracks trying to withstand the weight, and you are going around and stuffing rags in the holes. Of course with the help of the Donzi.net community, he came up with a new wet application fiberglass laying procedure, and now has a leak free boat, with a built in jacuzzi. :confused: :wink:
This is just how important this is; When eBay got started, and all of the traffic they had to deal with, they insisted that people can post photographs, ONLY if they were parked somewhere else on the web. Finally they allowed photos, but extras were a buck a pop or something like that. That is just how important this issue is.

Let's all work together to make the Donzi. net servers the fastest humpin servers around. Take a few minutes to read the Plain Folks Guide, Getting Pictures Ready for the web, Join WebShots.com, just do it, and when you see how easy this is when you do it, you will be delighted.

Let's have some fun. On Webshots, they have a zillion photos for you to draw from as well. (One is on the top of this post) So when I make posts from now on, I liven them up with photos.
Let's look at another example. Here is a post that a fellow Donzi.net member TexasLSC275 is having a problem with water in the gas. So I posted a reply with infomation in it, but just for fun I browsed over to WebShots, and picked up a boating photograph, by using their search, and placed a photo in with 2 guys pushing their boat. You have to check it out, to get the impact. Read down through the post, then when you get to my message the impact is there. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48545

The guide really is simple. If you glance through it, and say what does that mean, it is only because you are not trying it. When you do it, and the problem presents itself to you, then the guide explains it, right at that step, it all makes perfect sense, and is a piece of cake to understand.
Hey if you ever read an instruction manaul, and said, "Huh?" then when you got into the project you knew exactly what they were talking about, well the guide is better than that. Do the guide, it truly is a piece of cake, and it contains tools that you will use for the rest of your life, but you have to get into it, by joining WebShots.com for free, then post a new post here on Donzi.net using your new photo skills with the guide by your side.
Please post any questions you may have here.

Carl C
04-03-2007, 04:30 PM
One more try..........http://goodtimes.webshots.com/photo/2026691690101010914aYnLpZ I tried for an hour and a half and all I get are the little X boxes......

Carl C
04-03-2007, 04:56 PM
One more try........http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/16/17/6/91/69/2026691690101010914aYnLpZ_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2026691690101010914aYnLpZ):crossfing

TheFees
04-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi,
Thanks for replying to this post. I am assuming you joined Webshots, or not?
If you went to Webshots and got the "Link", on the link page, you get to choose from about 6 different sizes. Choose the largest one to the right. Click on it, then it will automatically create the link for you, just click on the link IN THE MIDDLE, NOT THE TOP, NOT THE BOTTOM, THE MIDDLE link, which will highlight it, and right click, choose copy, and you are done at WebShots, then come over to Donzi.net and place you post the way the PFGuide describes, which really amounts to, in short, you use the little yellow postcard icon that is at the top of the ad submit page, when you click on it, it normally brings up a little dialogue box, shouting in the middle to put the link in you copied. So you right click in the link box, and choose paste. Then OK, and bingo your picture is in there, and BIG.
Give me some more information. The above response was assuming a lot. What's your sitch? Bob
PS: Are those small photos WebShots smallest photo choice, the one they start the page with, then they give you convenient button on top, at 100, 200, on up to 600 Mr Big. What you are exhibiting on the page is 100. Let's get it up.
http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/3494/1364236513071931381S500x500Q85.jpg

Carl C
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
OK, Fees, this is the big one!...:crossfing http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/1729/2026691690101010914S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2026691690101010914aYnLpZ)

Carl C
04-03-2007, 06:03 PM
:yippie: That's all you had to say! So easy a caveman could do it. :rlol: That's me boat BTW!

TheFees
04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Forum Fever is alive and well here at Donzi.net .
Carl,
And everyone here, you are welcome to test your ad-photo guide creations at http://www.sellbyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126 That category was made just for that purpose, to test drive your ads. Then you can come back to Donzi.net with your "photon" torpedoes loaded.
Warning Forumism is an invigorating disease, marked by sudden bouts of laughter, and joy. Symptoms include you can't wait to get home and check on your posts, and buddies. In extreme cases they have to check into ForumAddictsAnonymous.com and confess that they are a forumaholic. Others may be there to help treat you. After a while you can return to a toyless world, where you will laugh, but not all of your laughter, and will have joy, but no where near as much as when you are practicing forumism.
Add to that Photomania, and you have a doozie of a case. Posting everywhere, big beautiful photographs. The world is full of color. Technicolor.
Ok we better keep it down, otherwise the thought police will realize that their is joy somewhere in the world. Keep it down? Say what, we didn't buy Donzi's so we could go blazing across the water for nothing. Muffler, what muffler?
:wink:
Bob

Carl C
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/2233/2932536320101010914S600x600Q85.jpgHere's my 1982 Mustang GT. It got a historic vehicle plate this year!http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/4934/2516003580101010914S600x600Q85.jpg:convertib

TheFees
04-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a friend who would get heartburn looking at your boat. Yellow is his favorite color, I'm getting heartburn, and I have a red 18. :)
Did you ever have anyone give you a riddle, and you think about it for the longest time, and can't figure the darn thing out, then along comes the answer, and you say to yourself, that was easy, I knew that all along.
Believe me the method is just like that. It is so simple, yet it takes a little bit of pondering over the method, then it comes to you, oh sh_ _ that is simple. Go for it.
I know one more Donzi member who is going to be producing outrageous photo filled posts.
Carl, the cool thing is that WebShots has 481,000,000 photos, that's right 481 million photos to choose from. Just think up a theme, pop it into the search tool, and up comes pages to choose from. It is hard not to have fun all of the time.
http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/4665/1011725710025539920S600x600Q85.jpg

TheFees
04-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Way to go Carl, great shots.
Bob

Carl C
04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Bob, thanks for the comps., and thanks for posting this thread. I'd wondered how to post big pics. Let's see some others try it for the first time.http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/3061/2580284830101010914S600x600Q85.jpg

MOP
04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
What is wrong with using MSN picture re-sizer and the built in the image manager, that give the viewer the option of opening large photos. Having them implanted makes me and several others I have spoken with just close the post due to the slow load. I have T1 at work and that is even slows down with some of the photos that get posted, I like many others would like to see the re sizer in the boards heading for anyone to use, it is a mentioned "Caveman simple" one heck of a lot quicker then loading to another site. Three quick clicks per photo and you are done!!!!!

Phil

Carl C
04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Phil, I downloaded the resizer. I thought this system here was supposed to speed things up because the pics are automatically downsized and stored elsewhere.:confused: They pop right up on my 'puter. Do they really slow things down?

TheFees
04-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Phil, if I can refer to you by your name, glad to meet you by the way. I appreciate you asking my opinion.
You mentioned:
*What is wrong with using MSN picture re-sizer and the built in the image manager, that give the viewer the option of opening large photos. Having them implanted makes me and several others I have spoken with just close the post due to the slow load.*

1) Nothing is wrong with the MSN picture re-sizer. More people need to use it. It automatically resizes the photo to it's specifications not yours. It does shrink in my experience the photo to about 75 k. (It depends on the size of the photo you are starting with.) With WebShots, they give you about 6 different sizes to choose from, and all that is needed is one click to try each one of them out. With MSN picture re-sizer, one smaller size that is it.
2) I like thumbnails too: Their is an advantage to having thumbnails show up in the posts, giving the viewer, as long as they are a member, and not a visitor, the option of opening them. Thumbnails are great, they load quick, and are easily accessible, and they make a nice foundation there for your message. Their are appropriate times for each IMHO.
3) The problem that people are experiencing with the full picture slow load, is not because of the photo appearing in the post, but rather because they are not using the MSN Picture resizer, nor are they using the WebShots method that I explained. It takes forever to download a picture that was not compressed first. They are uploading full size photos, from wherever, with big file sizes. The combination of compressing the photos, with MSN picuture re-sizer, or using WebShots is fine. One gives you more flexibility, and absolutely, just about zero drain on the servers, the other uses up some bandwidth. As long as the file is compressed that is fine. Sometimes you want to put up posts with just thumbnails, and that is an advantage for members, SO EVERYBODY JOIN> :)

I shouldn't make it sound like anyone who posts a photo on Donzi servers, is doing an injustice it is not, unless it is a 5000 pound mama, then it will eat up even a T1 line. Thanks for your input. What do you think?

TheFees
04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Carl, Click on your bottom photograph that is full sized. Right click on it, then choose properties. It is only 30 k, and it is a 600 size photograph, now that is what i am talking about. MSN Picture creates 75 k photos from my experience. They are great too, I am not into yey this and boo that, but I do not want you to feel confused over the issue. Just check the facts. Any picture that takes forever to download, right click on it, choose properties, and see how big it is.
If you look at the photos at the beginning of this post, they are photos, that I took out of my digital camera right to the hard drive at over 400k size, then right to WebShots, which automatically compresses them for you. Then I even chose the largest setting for this photo from them, and it is still only 70 to 80k. If I put a medium sized photo in, it would be 40 or 50k, and so on. Full suite of choices when it comes to size, and autocompression, and near zero drain on the servers. Uploading compressed photos into a Donzi.net server is a lot easier on them. It is like carrying a single extra person around with you, instead of just you. Using WebShots is like carrying no extra person with you, and they are still there. Does that make any sense? I don't think so. So what am I? Photo Fees here? :) :yes: Yup!

MOP
04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I guess my point is proper sized thumb nails allow the viewer to choose what he wishes to look at and not to wait for a big embedded picture post to load. Even when I am at work I kill a slow post and forget home on the DIAL!!! I feel big over loaded posts get dumped by many even those with fast connections.

TheFees
04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Phil,
I seriously agree with you. The one point that I want to make is that just because a photo is placed in the body of the post, does not mean it is a huge file size photo. That depends on it's size whereever it is coming from.

I can see how that impression can be made after crusin these waters as long, and as much as you do. Whereas the upload tool at the bottom, places them on Donzi servers, and the Harbormaster has raised, I understand the limit on the size to allow more people to post, without using compression, but even at that, it is probably set at 400, or so...who knows except for the harbormaster, or by doing tests, I guess I am getting off on a tangent.

So their is a built in size restriction, so photos that are ridiculously large will not get through the upload screen. On the other hand, someone linking to a photo on the web. could link to anywhere, even a humungous size file. So then you see these huge inside the post photos, and say, "I don't care what this guy says, I know from experience, that every time I see a huge photo download problem it is always some guy posting photos in the middle of the post, and you would be exactly right. If that guy would learn about WebShots, then he wouldn't have that problem, and he would have on tap 481 million other photos to liven up his posts, plus the other advantages that I mentioned of absolutely zero drain on Donzi servers, and having everyone including a visitor be able to see thier photos. After all how many pictures can we take of our own boats. I haven't gone much over a thousand myself. :yes:

Thanks for talking to me Phil, please just take a surprise visit over to WebShots.com and check it out. You don't have to join to browse the collection. I know, I know, next time you will surprise me with a funny photo. Mud in my eye. :boat:

Formula Jr
04-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Any one has the ability to post here on Scot's servers with under 1.2 G stuff. Scot is paying for this- and I have to stress that SCOT is paying for this. Going outside dosen't make sense if we are to link to it.. This thread makes no sense..... We have seen photobucket, and most the others go away after awhile....

Dnet is the best deal on the internet...

Ya Can't free-bee that....

farmer tx
04-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Being on dialup I prefer the thumbnails, there is no wait for a large photo to load as you are trying to read the post. I pass over threads that have large photos inserted in them.

Formula Jr
04-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Any one has the ability to post here on Scot's servers with under 1.2 G stuff. Scot is paying for this. Going outside doen't make sense if we are to link to it.. This thread makes no sease..... we have seen photo-bucket go away......
This is the beautity of an in-house server....

TheFees
04-04-2007, 12:15 AM
If it is the wishes of the Donzi registry to keep all photos used at the registry to be stored at the registry, or to not tell others to store them elsewhere, I will be more than glad to abide by that. But beyond that, I am talking as a support person, strictly in a technical sense. Part science and part laughter.
I wanted to comment regarding the reliability issue of passing entities. WebShots.com was registered in the WHOIS directory. Registered to CNET Networks, Inc. July 20,1996 and expires July 19, 2014 unless they renew, and is currently hosting 481 million photos.
I am a guest here, and I do have manners, so I am listening, and running at the mouth at the same time. :)
Dnet for sure is the best deal on the internet. I don't want to change a thing. I am forming a guide, and this kind of input is great from the members, and for the performance improvement. I am sorry, but it does greatly increase the performance of Donzi servers, to take some of the extra load off of it, shoveling around photos that are oversized.

My goal is a full size photo at 25 or 30k as a normal course of business. We haven't even gotten into that one yet. The WebShots.com method is efficient, but even more importantly is making photos efficient for all of the Dnet members, using the Dnet servers. For that purpose MSN tool is great for that, or another product that is a free 30 day trialware full blown version called "Photolightning" I have been using that for batch processing for quite some time. Has built in photo editing tools as well.

Of course storing the bulk of your photos happens right here at Dnet, and shrinking their file size properly, before you upload them goes a long way to making it easy to view even with a 56K modem. The servers are handling the load the way it is.

Formula Jr
04-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Yuppers

Formula Jr
04-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Fees, whats your point? I don't see one so far...

Maybe you would like to start up a domain named space. Work like crazy on it for several years. Make new things happen, like server space, And then have some ass say, "Hey, look over here, its easier" And then every person that links to that pic has an easy way out of Dnet to someplace else. And its all free , the entry and the exit.........

Carl C
04-04-2007, 06:40 AM
So is there going to be an official policy on this? I've seen giant pics here for years; I didn't know they were links to other sites. Some are too big and require scrolling the screen back and forth as MadPoodle said. I think the pics on this thread look cool and they pop up very fast. If we are archiving photos or projects for future reference then the photos should be stored here but sometimes it's no big loss if photos are lost down the road. Anyway please don't give Bob, thefees, a hard time. He certainly meant no harm and has been polite and even if I can't use my new trick here I can use it elsewhere. He did not cause this problem; these big pics have been here forever. I'd appreciate more clarification from the mods or Harbormaster. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ed Donnelly
04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Mr. Poodle; I bet there aren't 5 other people that noticed the mispelled word.
I didn't even notice it when I made my contribution in January.. Sharp eye..Ed

Carl C
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I wonder if there is a way to make pics automatically downsize when downloading? It would have to be bypassable when exchanging hi-res pics. Alright, I'll go easy with the big pics, save 'em for special occasions.:computer:

TheFees
04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
This is a long post, so pull up a chair, with a cup of coffee or green tea. I might as well combine it all into one, since we have a “plat” forum going here.

FJr, I believe enlivening posts with witty photographs ( a picture says a thousand words) the type you can easily find at WebShots would help to create posting platform that even visitors would want to get involved in. When is the last time you went someplace, saw a bunch of totally cool boats, read some posts that had some photos in them, that made you crack up laughing, and you didn’t want to join? Thank God for creativity. The intent and result as I see it, is more people here at D’net, not less.
Which takes me to the next thought, and that is a membership drive. Doesn’t everybody have friends they know that would be interested in joining here? Now let me see if each member recruited three members, now let me get my calculator out…

Scott (MacPoodle) thanks for your gentle understanding, and for bringing me up to date on the past experience of hosting photos outside of the D’net servers. That is a big concern. I felt confident with web shots since I was using their site just about since they opened their doors over ten years ago.
I have been pondering the fund raising issue and doing some investigating. I find that the market will do what the market will do, and it is for us to figure out how to supply the market for what it will do.

I’ve visited a huge site and they had listed their donations that were provided last year. You could fit them on one page in even though they have 62,000 members. Do you know of anybody who donates to a forum site? Some do, but few. So what to do? ( Here I go getting wordy again )

I went to Bikeforums.net who usually has over 2000 active users participating at any given time. He is using the same application unbranded with a custom template. And after his second year in 2003 he announced on the forum application support site that, “I am almost making a fulltime paycheck out of this.” By now I’m sure he is. I think that is great.
Some of the things I noticed he is doing are neither obtrusive, or offensive. ( I must admit he is allowing some flash advertising on his display ad area, that is another topic. ) Instead of me giving a blow by blow, visit his site and be sure to go into a couple of posts, you’ll notice that after the second “review” a little ad/comment area appears automatically with support our sponsors on it. Then he has non-obtrusive single line links, with a short descriptive sentence next to each one. He also has a plug for advertising in that spot, stating advertise here for as little as $25 per month. As I understand it, those ad links are on a rotational basis, and show up every 12th viewing. So when you see a $25 link x 3 or 5 links, multiply that sum by 12. Oops, time to put that big block in the row boat. :wink:

Hey if the advertisers are selling something that you could use anyway, why not buy them from a D’net source? You are going to buy it anyway someplace else, why not buy it here, and support the site?

The other thing he uses is the Google AdSense program tastefully. Anytime someone clicks on an ad, D’net makes some money. Not a lot on a per click basis, but enough to more than pay for the servers. D’net users don’t have to spend anything to participate, they just click on a link for free, and the advertiser pays Google, and Google pays D’net. You have to read Google;s terms of use to see the way it is applied.

Another great fund raising method is to join CJ.com. (Commission Junction) They are the fortune 500 companies #1 pay per purchase application developer. By joining them, the sponsors area here at D’net could be filled with small square block ads that could yield up to a couple of hundred bucks per actual purchase, not per click. That is what CJ does, they create point of sale revenue for the largest firms. They work with the advertisers sites, to integrate their system into them, so they know when an actual purchase is made, the only thing that is done at D’net for example is they create a piece of code, which pulls their logo-ad from their site, with a built in link in it, that works with the CJ sponsored site.

There are tons of companies to choose from. Once you join, you can choose whichever company you want, let’s say InsWeb.com for example, one of their subscribers. You apply to InsWeb, they approve you, then CJ creates several options for being able to display a little block ad, like those that are sponsors at the D’net site now. InsWeb gives out free multiple quotes on all kinds of insurance, car, home, boat, etc. Every time someone clicks on the ad, and follows up with a purchase, D’net gets $35 or $70 for example, based on the size of the purchase. Hey we all buy insurance, why not help out D’net by clicking on the insurance web little display ad and supporting this site, and supporting ourselves with the savings.

By the way I first got exposed to insweb when I went to Consumer R______ (No one is allowed to use their name without their permission) and CR highly recommended them. So I did use them, got back several quick quotes for free, and seriously saved about 35% on my car insurance, and was covered by Hartford. The policy not only had all of my previous coverage, it included a one million dollar balloon policy on top of that.
I am not selling insurance, I’m selling the idea that as members, we have a serious interest in making this one of the most popular, and well funded forum sites on the web. Hey we didn’t buy Donzi’s because we wanted to go el Cheapo.

Check out bikeforums.net and let me know what you think. Let’s discuss this openly, does any other members have any fund raising suggestions. How about a membership drive to get even more members? Or, do you want to keep this a moderate size club? What are everyone’s thoughts.

Carl C, you are the man! :yes: The photos do pop fast, and webshots has been around for a long time. I can understand the concern as Scott said, because if you put all of your eggs into one basket, and the basket breaks, you make egg omelets. :) So the best thing is to use your cool new tool for fun, I know I am, and also when the photos are more for members only, or if you want a quiet dissertation parked by some humble thumbnails, ready to explode at a clicks notice, you park those at D’net. Diversification is strength, a little of this, a little of that.
This forum and the application are designed to let you decide if you want to post your photos inside your comments, with them parked somewhere else on the web, or download them internally to D’net severs, appearing as a filename or thumbnails. Nothing is going to change that unless harbormaster would decide to shut one of the options off, and I don’t see why he would. He hasn’t and that should tell you that their isn’t any conflict between either method, and what is at the best interests of the site.

Scott said, “In the past we have lost TONS of information and photos due to hosting companies going away, changing URL's, or doing whatever the heck else they do.”
Well said, thanks for shedding some light on that for me. Therefore I would like to temper my comments to say, “Avoid the little red X syndrome, park you photos on D’net servers, and occasionally throw in a few big splashes from WebShots, or wherever you have them parked, but be sure to compress them as well.”

I must say that in Boats for Sale, I would be doing WebShots exclusively. I would want everyone to see the photos, even the 4 to 1 visitor to member ratio that grazes this site regularly. Be sure and put in phone numbers.

By the way, another large boat site, has the option of being able to place classifieds with photos, only after paying a lifetime “Gold membership” fee of only $29. How the built in subscription feature works, I am not sure at this point, but it is worth looking into. Set the rate for the degree of exposure.

PS: As soon as I am done with my paperwork, I am building Part II of the PFGuide, and call it something like, “How to get great results with different photo compression techniques”. It will take me a while to finish it. Onward and upward my friends.

I included a thumbnail, (a D'net server upload of my last girlfriend.) I met her while she was kneeling by the water, waiting for the next Donzi to go by. :wink:

Rootsy
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Speil cheqke would be first on my list of board enhancments BTW....

Unforunately, Vbulletin doesn't incorporate a fully encompassed built in spell check feature but it does make use of IE Spell for IE users (user must install this plugin on thier puter) and Firefox 2 will highlight mispelled words automatically in Vbulletin 3.6.4 or later (you then i guess mouse over the word and it gives you options to change it), Scot just has to add a simple line of code to a file since donzi.net is running a version of vbulleting older than 3.6.4...

or there are a few hacks you can install to add spell check functionality...

still a PITA either way IMO...

chappy
04-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Do you know of anybody who donates to a forum site? Some do, but few.
In relation to this site, what is this based on? How are you defining "few"?
Thanks,
Rich

Rootsy
04-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I must ask you TheFees,

which one of these named "affiliates" are you associated with?:confused:

Patti
04-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Well since you're hyping Webshots so much..I did some looking around..

I came up with this..

http://www.webshots.com/clickcash/?vhost=www

The only reason someone would hype a site like that..as well as others like Commission Junction would be to make money..which you stand to do should the board go the way you "think would be best"

Both Webshots and Commission junction are affiliates..so it's money for you every time someone clicks one of those ads you think would so benefit this site.

I think you should be honest about it..not just talk about what great photo hosting it has..this has nothing to with Webshots photo hosting ability does it?

But that it stands to make you money personally.

JMHO

TheFees
04-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I am telling you the truth. Let's keep this real simple. Go to webshots, and ask them if I am affiliated with them in any way. My member name is the thefees the same here at D'net. Then when they tell you that I am not signed up with them, other than as a free picture parker, then maybe you will believe. Do the same thing at Commission Junction. I was a member of theirs a few years ago, but haven't been for a long time. I am not a current active member from them as well. Ask them, Learn the truth. After learning that I am telling you the truth, I wonder how many people who have scourged me here will step forward with an apology? Isn't it easier to step on the bug, than it is to pick it up with a napkin and let it outside? How would you be acting right now, if you were being treated like this, and only by some, and not by others? Just for a second, consider the fact that you could be wrong, and mis-judging me.

TheFees
04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I am only a member of WebShots just like any other member. I also had no idea that they had an affiliate program. I followed the link provided by our fellow D'net member, and took out one of the top sentences, and here it is
Straight from WebShots
If you operate a website, you can place a Webshots banner or button on your website and you'll earn 1 cent for each unique user who clicks. Just imagine, if 1000 people click on the banner, you'll earn $10.
So if I tell 99 people and they click on a banner on a web site, I might make 99 cents? I am not affiliated with WebShots or Commission Junction.
Look I know who I am, and that is someone who hopefully, will be loved by the staff at Donzi.net because I brought in some fresh air, that resulted in more members, and more income.

RedDog
04-05-2007, 11:22 AM
...I am not affiliated with WebShots or Commission Junction. ...
to quote my 12 year old nephew, "Are you kiddin' or lyin'?"
The text from those web sites reads just like your posts here

TheFees
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
With Commision Junction, in addition to a InsWeb sponsor affiliation button, another good one would be financing. The fortune 500 companies participate in CJ, and their are for sure several companies that D'net members would be interested in using, and boat financing is one of them. By adding sponsors such as these, it would only enlongate the feature that you already have for sponsors on the left.
It is free to join Commission Junction. I advise you to check out the site. Tell em Bob sent ya. I am only kidding, I do not get a dime, as you already know, when, out of the blue anyone visits a web site, and inquire as to their program. None of my links currently have any affiliations attached to them either.
I think that CJ, more than any others will bring in sufficient funds to really help out. It is tied to the sale, and not a teeny commish for simply clicking. How it works is that you join CJ, then you apply to individual companies who wish to advertise their products on your site. They look at your site, and approve you if it is worthy. D'net is worthy.
InsWeb is one of them. They approve you, then CJ creates a variety of little display ads, that you can choose from, that would melt right into your sponsor section. You simply copy and paste the code they give you into the site. Then whenever anyone clicks on your link here at D'net, and FOLLOWS through with a purchase, you get a nice hit. Since it is tied to the purchase, rather than just a lot of casual browsers, they reward you nicely. For example, as I recall, it was $35, or $70 for some of their programs, or even more.
On the programming front: The complicated stuff comes from the other end from the advertisers, and CJ has been doing that for companies for a long time. The key is that they have to integrate a system into the advertisers site, so they know when an actual purchase is done, rather than just a passive click through.
The easy end is for D'net for example, the work is all done, all you do is insert the link that they automatically create for you, which comes up as a little display ad.

Please note, creating affiliations directly with CJ doesn't have anything to do with me. It just will help the site, and not give me a dime.

TheFees
04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Carl,
Thank you for your understanding. I will do that.
Bob

Carl C
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Fees, I think you should let this one go. I'd hate to see another member chased away. Maybe you profit, maybe you don't but I'd be a lot more suspicious if you'd just joined up and this was your first thread. I think since you've been here since 9-'05 that you should get cut a little slack. BTW, if you get into an e-argument with Rootsy and Patti (they're married you know), you will not win! This is JMHO everyone.:)

TheFees
04-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I understand. I have stated my opinions clearly. I have spoken the truth. I will keep my mouth shut, you guys post away.
I hope that I have done some good here, and helped the site.
thefees

RedDog
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I understand. I have stated my opinions clearly. I have spoken the truth. I will keep my mouth shut, you guys post away.
I hope that I have done some good here, and helped the site.
thefees

TheFees - my apologies. My use of an inside family joke did not come across appropriately. Obviously used in a poor context.

Patti
04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
TheFees, If I was wrong..then of course, I apologize.

It's not often someone logs on here and posts in the way you have..most people do not mention "affiliate sites" unless they are associated with them..i'm sure you can understand that...

I guess i'm still not understanding the whole CJ/Webshots thing..but it's between managment and you.

I will not post further on the topic

Though I think your reply to me was more than childish.

TheFees
04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm just glad to be here. Childish, I can accept childish. That'll work for me. I appreciate your understanding. When you mentioned that nobody posts like I do, if you get to know me a little better, respectively, you'll see that when "Stuff is Cool, I get Excited"

I am a top 500 reviewer at Amazon. That is an honor I am given by Amazon viewers, who decide if a review is helpful or not. I have over 7,000 helpful votes, and comparing those votes against visitors, the numbers get crazy of those who have benefited by my reviews. Please take a quick look at my reviews at Amazon, and you will see that the way I am posting, is the level of excitement I have.

First I figure out what the best is, then I get very excited about it. Why do you think I have a Donzi? Did you know that fortune magaizine ran a series on products that are best in class in the world. Something that is made in America, that is the best in it's category around the world. They had a category for telephones, it was At&t, they didn't have a category for cars, because another country made one better than ours, but they had a category for boats, and it was Donzi and Cigarette. Bang, Bang, double Don Aronow home run. See how I get excited about stuff., I hope no hard feelings exist between us. Here is my Amazon.com link http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A14JBDSWKPKTZA/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-4597099-4664054

TheFees
04-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I appreciate your understanding. Thanks. I'm actually doing the paperwork for the year, doing taxes. So I am going to have to spend a little time away. I would much rather be spending my time here. I love it here.
Thanks Guys, I feel like someone who just went through initiation. :yes:
I don't have to swallow any snakes now do I ?